The Student Room Group

Which UKCAT mock is most similar to the real exam?

This poll is closed

Which UKCAT mock do you think is the most similar to the actual exam?

600Q 20%
UKCAT Official 26%
Medify 20%
Kaplan 28%
DotMedic 0%
eMedica 0%
AceMedicine 2%
OnExamination 2%
Other (Please specify)2%
Total votes: 46
Which UKCAT mock do you think is the most similar to the real exam (in terms of question difficulty)?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
None of them, at least I think.

I was failing QR on every mock I did, including the 600Q book and various online ones. I was close to tears the day before, in the real thing I got 650. -_-
I actually found the official UKCAT tests easier than the real thing; most of the VR is much longer in real life!
Reply 3
Original post by MattKneale
I actually found the official UKCAT tests easier than the real thing; most of the VR is much longer in real life!

How about QR and DA?
Original post by king101
How about QR and DA?

Much the same really, longer and more difficult in the real thing. I found 600Q over-prepares you but better than than being under-prepared from the official tests.
Reply 5
Much the same really, longer and more difficult in the real thing. I found 600Q over-prepares you but better than than being under-prepared from the official tests.

Tons, well to be honest everyone on the other UKCAT thread said that QR was way easier :confused:
Reply 6
I'd just suggest using the 600Q book. It's meant to be slightly harder than the actual exam, but I actually think that's a good thing. I used it and got a decent score, so I'd recommend it.
Original post by king101
Tons, well to be honest everyone on the other UKCAT thread said that QR was way easier :confused:

Easier than the practice tests? The practice tests were piss easy for me compared to the real thing, but maybe I just drew hard questions? Who knows.
Reply 8
Easier than the practice tests? The practice tests were piss easy for me compared to the real thing, but maybe I just drew hard questions? Who knows.

Hahaa Yeah everyone on the BIG UKCAT thread said the exact opposite lol. Well anyway thanks for your opinion mate, think ill practice more then

You just had really bad luck. I found the real test immensely easier than the mocks. In the first mock I got 2 QR questions right! I got 770 in the real thing. Even the VR was easier, I'd never finished VR in any of the mocks and yet I had loads of time in the real thing. The only thing I found harder was DA.
The AR on medify is a lot harder than the real thing. On medify each set has 4ish weird rules whereas in the real thing there's just one and it's screaming at you.
Reply 11
Original post by Hippokrates
You just had really bad luck. I found the real test immensely easier than the mocks. In the first mock I got 2 QR questions right! I got 770 in the real thing. Even the VR was easier, I'd never finished VR in any of the mocks and yet I had loads of time in the real thing. The only thing I found harder was DA.

Thats the sort of stuff I have been hearing :smile: and thank's you boosted my confidence again :smile: In which mock did you get only 2 QR right? 1 or 2? Because in the official Mock 1 I did REALLYYY Bad and got less than 5 :/
Reply 12
The AR on medify is a lot harder than the real thing. On medify each set has 4ish weird rules whereas in the real thing there's just one and it's screaming at you.

Ah Im really nervous now and mine is on Tuesday :eek: just wondering I seem to be okay at AR and DA however it's just the god dam VR and QR urghhhh. What was your teq for VR? Like I tried from the 600UKCAT book Medifiy and all but I dont seem to be improving for the VR section
Reply 13
Don't be disheartened if you get a bad score on the official/medify/6OOQ book mocks. I got 500-600 in these mocks and 740 in the real thing! The most representative mock, I'd say is the free kaplan mock online. :smile:
Original post by king101
Ah Im really nervous now and mine is on Tuesday :eek: just wondering I seem to be okay at AR and DA however it's just the god dam VR and QR urghhhh. What was your teq for VR? Like I tried from the 600UKCAT book Medifiy and all but I dont seem to be improving for the VR section

Basically flag anything that isn't a true/false/can't tell question but but random answers in case you don't have time to come back. Then look for words in the question like names or date and scan the text for them. If after 20 seconds you have no idea put can't tell and more on.
Original post by king101
Thats the sort of stuff I have been hearing :smile: and thank's you boosted my confidence again :smile: In which mock did you get only 2 QR right? 1 or 2? Because in the official Mock 1 I did REALLYYY Bad and got less than 5 :/

The first one.
Reply 16
The first one.

Thanks for your reply's! You making me more confident now thanks :smile:
Hi everyone :smile:
I did the ukcat last year, and was asking exactly the same questions before it as you guys are. I know it's already been said, but I just want to emphasise that the QR in the books (especially 600 ukcat questions) is a lot harder than in the real thing. I found the questions in that book impossible to do in the allotted time, but in the real thing the questions were a lot simpler, like only one step instead of multiple steps. The questions that came up a lot in the real thing were percentage increases/decreases and other simple maths calculations, so if your worrying about QR, then you really don't need to :smile: Also, what I found particularly difficult in the real thing was the VR, as the passages they gave me were quite a bit longer than I had practised.. So I would definitely practice effective skim reading as this is kind of crucial for this section. The AR I think was a bit easier in the real thing than the book, but definitely concentrate on this section a lot as you can vastly improve with a bit of practice. The DA was my best section, I did find that in the real thing some of the sentences were a bit longer than I had practiced, but apart from this it was roughly similar. I found it helpful to write the long ones down as I translated (you get a whiteboard thing), as sometimes there's a bit too much to remember, but the shorter ones I just did in my head.
Anyway good luck to you all. You'll probably do better than you think. But if you don't do amazingly it's seriously not the end of the world. I got 635, which is kind of average, and I still got in to Nottingham and Birmingham, whereas some of my friends that got a better score didn't get in anywhere :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This makes me feel a bit better about if I have to resit next year as I got 670 and found it harder than the mock haha. With a bit of luck I might get a higher score!
Reply 19
Ive got my UKCAT in less than two weeks and im really struggling with the whole thing of timing myself and working through it all with a calm head. Ive been doing the official ukcat online tests but i just can think clearly and i just rush through the entire thing. Especialy for AR i just panick and cant think of a pattern at all!!!!
Any advice or good techniques to use?

Also i want to do some more online stuff from other places (dont mind how expensive they are). Dont know which sites to use? is there any particular ones you would recommend that are similar as possible to the real thing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending