The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
I do kind of regret my choice because I kind of think the course at Cambridge might of been better for me, but I chose to apply to Oxford purely for the fact that it seemed like a more vibrant city with more things going on whereas although Cambridge is nice for a picturesque punt on the river on a sunny day trip, i couldn't imagine being a student there :smile:
Reply 661
Original post by STFU
Neither there both crap

Original post by nulli tertius
Original post by STFU
Neither there the're they're both crap

xx

xxxxxxx
Because Oxford's ranked higher for humanities, and I started my course doing just German (without the science-y linguistics bit). Doesn't really come down to more than that, though having visited both cities since starting uni (I'd never been to Cambridge before I came) I do think I prefer Oxford as a city as well over Cambridge, as it feels more like a university integrated within a city and less like a university with some shops and random people's houses dotted about in the middle.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by a rusH
xxxxxxx

Oops.

How do you spell petard? :smile:

Done too late at night
Original post by panda11
Cambridge because it's closer to me (30 mins drive) & so I know the city well (ridiculously Durham was my insurance - miles away & I've never been there!).

Have only visisted Oxford once but found the city centre busier than Camb. A professor at Christ Church Oxford told me that "the main difference between Oxford and Cambridge is that Cambridge has more green areas", but whether he was talking nonsense I don't know.

(EDIT: haha most people seem to have based their decision on league tables/courses offered etc., mine is essentially because "I like going shopping in Cambridge.")

What shops are there :eek: I didn't see very many when I visited!
Original post by STFU
Neither there both crap

"[insert your username here]"
Reply 666
I chose Cam over Oxford as I preferred the structure of their Engineering / ChemEng course :smile:
Reply 667
I got PhD offers from both. Physics at Cavendish in Cam and Materials Science at Ox.

I chose Ox over Cam because I got a full stipend at Ox whereas only a fees only stipend at Cam.
Never been to Ox or Cam so far... That´s why I can´t say anything about their quality as a place to live in.
Original post by STFU
Neither there both crap

Someone got rejected:rolleyes:
Because this

Spoiler

will never top this

Spoiler

My role models attended Cam.

Not once did I consider the other place
Reply 671
Oxford does PPE and it is more lively. Cambridge was too village-y for me.
Original post by Ja-m-ie
Oxford does PPE and it is more lively. Cambridge was too village-y for me.

"Village-y"?

Spoiler

:wink:
Original post by Lord of the Flies
"Village-y"?

Spoiler

The theory is that Cambridge is just a university, and not much else. Oxford is meant to be a real city as well, with nightlife/shops/whatever.

[Never visited Cambridge, so I can't really judge...]
"Village-y"?

Spoiler

I chose Oxford, however this picture is positively stunning!
"Village-y"?

Spoiler

Still looks pretty villagey to me :dontknow:
Reply 676
You've never seen a village in Northern Ireland then :P

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Reply 677
"Village-y"?

Spoiler

Definitely a stunning picture, but I still standby my view. I'm not saying Cambridge is a village, but it is certainly more like one than Oxford.

Also, I have heard that the Cambridge colleges are more spread out compared to Oxford, which I wouldn't have liked. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Original post by Ja-m-ie
Definitely a stunning picture, but I still standby my view. I'm not saying Cambridge is a village, but it is certainly more like one than Oxford.

Also, I have heard that the Cambridge colleges are more spread out compared to Oxford, which I wouldn't have liked. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I've only ever visited Oxford once and stayed in Wadham, but I think the city as a whole is larger. On my doorstep, I had Wadham, Bailliol and Hertford - there's a similar cluster of Pembroke/Corpus/Peterhouse in Cambridge.

In terms of the rumour, I can't say I'd heard it before. However, leaving aside the very far out ones of Churchill/Girton/Homerton, for which you really need a bike, I think all colleges are within 5-10 minutes of another, and the greatest distance you'll have to walk is Robinson to Jesus, which would take about 40 minutes.

TL;DR - I'm not sure you're right. :p:
Honestly?

I wanted to show off my UMS marks.

I would have been happy at either.

Latest

Trending

Trending