The Student Room Group

Query on EPQ plagiarism

[INDENT]Hi everyone :smile: sorry for the alarming title but i really need a quick answer to this. I have to hand in my EPQ in a few days and am really getting anxious about the plagiarism rules, as I dont know them clearly.My question is, does the plagiarism checker software include checking for scientific journals and books? I have included a lot of information from these sources and have referenced them but I'm not entirely sure that I have referenced everything as I went along. need an answer to this ASAP if possible please.. I dont want to be kicked out of my college for A2 :/[/INDENT]
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
please? :frown:
Reply 2
The general software highlights it for review which should then be done by a human (IF they WERE to kick you out they'd have to check it manually or else there'd be a very interesting potential for you to end up quite rich I believe...

But if its properly referenced etc then it should be fine, and im sure they'd let you off for little things - its only a college not a massive life changing scientific journal (no offence)

I can recommend a few websites to run it through but Im not actually sure if i can post the links - i'll check and I might be back :smile:
Reply 3
http://searchenginereports.net/articlecheck.aspx

http://www.duplichecker.com/

tbh, google is your friend for checking how your work looks to them :smile:

Hope it helps though, and good luck :smile:
Reply 4
i appreciate the reply Djministe, thank you!

i was always told by teachers that boards have special software to check for plagiarism, because EPQ is supervised by an exam board (i think) does it still mean its manually checked and not checked by using software?
Reply 5
the software checks it on mass, but 'suspicious' ones need to be read by a human, I've yet to meet software that is good enough to replace a real human being', but basically the computer filters out most of whats submitted (and logs it so you can't really sell it on afterwards (I know UCAS and personal statements are anyways :P)

and its fine :smile:
Reply 6
thats great :biggrin: i think im just being paranoid haha, thanks again :smile:
Reply 7
sorry to be a pest but im still wondering if the system that checks through it, checks with a database of the internet only or through internet AND scientific journals?
Original post by stdomser
sorry to be a pest but im still wondering if the system that checks through it, checks with a database of the internet only or through internet AND scientific journals?

You're beginning to sound as if you have a guilty conscience. As long as you have properly referenced it, you should be fine.
Reply 9
i said in the top post that i dont think i have referenced every single thing as i went along (its 5,000 words and i have been doing it late past midnight) but i have for most of it, i only asked because i wanted to know if i should go back and search for every single source i've used so far including science journos..
[INDENT]Hi everyone :smile: sorry for the alarming title but i really need a quick answer to this.

I have to hand in my EPQ in a few days and am really getting anxious about the plagiarism rules, as I dont know them clearly.My question is, does the plagiarism checker software include checking for scientific journals and books? I have included a lot of information from these sources and have referenced them but I'm not entirely sure that I have referenced everything as I went along. need an answer to this ASAP if possible please.. I dont want to be kicked out of my college for A2 :/[/INDENT]

Firstly, chill out it's just an EPQ :tongue: second, it's a qualification for 16-18 year olds, not university graduates, and so you won't be expected to be perfect.
i said in the top post that i dont think i have referenced every single thing as i went along (its 5,000 words and i have been doing it late past midnight) but i have for most of it, i only asked because i wanted to know if i should go back and search for every single source i've used so far including science journos..

Well, it's good practice for university to do so, but why not check with your teacher before you hand it in?
Reply 12
Original post by Junaid96
Firstly, chill out it's just an EPQ :tongue: second, it's a qualification for 16-18 year olds, not university graduates, and so you won't be expected to be perfect.

loool that made me feel better, its just my college are making out as if its make or break for staying in second year that's why i seem ott
Reply 13
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, it's good practice for university to do so, but why not check with your teacher before you hand it in?

we have to hand it in officially tomorrow so i cant :/ she said she didnt have time to check it before too, anyway i'll just try and go back on everything if i can
loool that made me feel better, its just my college are making out as if its make or break for staying in second year that's why i seem ott

Lol, does everyone even do EPQ? In our school 20 people from upper sixth do it, and that's it :wink:
Reply 15
Lol, does everyone even do EPQ? In our school 20 people from upper sixth do it, and that's it :wink:

this year my college (st dominics) made it compulsory for everyone *sigh think its a funding thing
this year my college (st dominics) made it compulsory for everyone *sigh think its a funding thing

Sigh indeed. Ahh, your username - I see what you did there.
we have to hand it in officially tomorrow so i cant :/ she said she didnt have time to check it before too, anyway i'll just try and go back on everything if i can

Well, that's a shame, but it can't be helped. Do your best. It might be an idea just to ask about the referencing as you hand it in. If you've handed the work in on time, (which many won't, trust me on that. I'm a teacher) it wouldn't be too much of an imposition on the teacher if you ask if you can add a fuller bibliography in the next day if you've done it wrong. Be honest about your worries. S/he can get on with marking the main bit and simply stick the references on at the end. That's what I'd do if one of my students was genuinely worried and had done the work properly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Sigh indeed. Ahh, your username - I see what you did there.

well spotted :P
Reply 19
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, that's a shame, but it can't be helped. Do your best. It might be an idea just to ask about the referencing as you hand it in. If you've handed the work in on time, which many won't, trust me on that. I'm a teacher) it wouldn't be too much of an imposition on the teacher if you ask if you can add a fuller bibliography in the next day if you've done it wrong. Be honest about your worries. S/he can get on with marking the main bit and simply stick the references on at the end. That's what I'd do if one of my students was genuinely worried and had done the work properly.

That sounds like the the best thing to do, thanks for your advice :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending