The Student Room Group

Better role model: Katie Price or Kate Middleton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Kate price, is disgusting and has made a lot of money from nude modelling, whereas, Kate middleton worked hard to get through university and was a photographer. So I believe she would of been successful even of she didn't marry a royal

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Do I prefer someone who has worked their way up from a working class background (not in the most respectable profession, mind), built themselves a business empire (as much as I'd like to think she hasn't) and is now doing pretty comfortably form her own hard work.

OR

Someone who hasn't held a proper job, is living off the the taxpayer and looks pretty every time a camera happens to fall on her face.

I'd say neither, but at a push Katie Price.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mikoe
Who is a better role model for young people? Katie Price, a self-made woman, or Kate Middleton, whose status and wealth gained from marriage?

That is a fair point and I'm glad I saw it. But with today's youth being so paranoid and obsessed with their physical image, is it really a good idea to have Katie Price advertising her body to a teen audience to encourage them that 'beauty' is born from having fake breasts and too much make up. Nah ah.
Reply 123
There isn't an "other" option..

Althought Katie Price did make her own money, which is obviously a good thing, Her methods of doing so..
Glamour modelling is fine - if you have the body, flaunt it. If you're comfortable with having your naked body on page 3 of a national newspaper, and loads of pervy men gawping over you, then that's great, and your probably getting a paid a fair bit, so good for her.
However, its the endless drivel of reality tv shows, being plastered all over glossy magazines for absolutely nothing "katie's got more plastic surgery... Katie's shocking weight loss... Katie's new man... Katie's new heartache" I just don't care, I really can't believe people buy such crap.
The other thing is, she seems to use her marriage/kids for money (this isn't just katie price, obviously loads of celebrities do it) It's a personal occasion, Why would you want everyone bitching about your wedding/loved ones over the internet and in the media? However money talks I guess.

Kate middleton.. She seems like a nice girl, who is sensible, perfect for the royal family and undoubtedly gorgeous. However, she's hardly "the independent woman - feminist role model" I know thats not in the title, but still I think a female role model should have at least some sort of independence..
Fair dos to Kate, she achieved her degree at St Andrews, but then after that she hasn't really done too much, apart from Marry a prince. I know it was probably quite hard for her to find a normal job what with going out with the second in line to the throne... but I don't know. I guess in some ways, Kate is very sensible, isn't getting drunk in hotel rooms (getting naked), and I assume she probably does a lot for charity. I'm not trying to say that Kate isn't a good role model, but she's came from a privallaged background, and married into a even more privallaged family. She hassn't earnt her money from hard work, unlike Katie, so that also counts against her in this debate.

But in my opinion, I don't see either of them as my role model.
Reply 124
Yea Price is a successful business woman and knows how to sell herself. With just a little investment into plastic surgery look where she is now.

But really, people think she is a role model??? You want your (future) daughter to flash her tits and show off her entire life in the media making an ass of herself along the way.

Unbelievable.
Original post by Historophilia
She's a talented singer and song writer, she doesn't starve herself or take off her clothes to sell her music, she's funny, down to earth and seems like a nice girl, the sort you could easily be friends with.

Basically Adele is someone who says to young girls that you can be very successful based on your talents on not on your sex appeal.

Original post by Historophilia
To be as slim as many female singers you don't eat normally that's for certain.

To be honest I think many people would actually agree with her and she's not following the lovey crowd in saying so. She's being honest about her opinions which aren't fashionable ones and which aren't the done thing in media and the music industry. That's what I call down to earth, she doesn't blindly parrot what others say and speaks her mind.

Yep of course, I knew some idiot would make this kind of comment :rolleyes: You realise that saying skinny women are only skinny because they deprive themselves of food is just something overweight people say to make themselves feel better right? Skinny women do still eat, they don't bloody starve themselves for crying out loud. Don't be so narrow minded.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by sarahthegemini
Yep of course, I knew some idiot would make this kind of comment :rolleyes: You realise that saying skinny women are only skinny because they deprive themselves of food is just something overweight people say to make themselves feel better right? Skinny women do still eat, they don't bloody starve themselves for crying out loud. Don't be so narrow minded.

Yea but do you know how much they work out, too? And they do have to watch their diet. Also, unless they have a super metabolism, they can't just eat ice cream whenever they fancy, etc.
Original post by danny111
Yea but do you know how much they work out, too? And they do have to watch their diet. Also, unless they have a super metabolism, they can't just eat ice cream whenever they fancy, etc.

But eating healthy and exercising is different to starving themselves ...
I respect both of these women.

Katie Price doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks of her, therefore showing the sort of confidence which young girls should have. She has worked her way up and is self-made. She also has a disabled son and nobody can deny she is a bad mother.
However, equally Kate Middleton seems to be a lovely lady who does no end of charity.
Therefore, I think each could be considered a role model and it is personal opinion! :smile:
Reply 129
I don't like everything Katie Price does, but I admire what she has managed to achieve for herself. No matter what you feel about glamour modelling or her personal life, you can't deny she is a self-made successful businesswoman. I also don't think she is an airhead as some people here have suggested.

I wouldn't call Katie Price a role model but, if I had the choice to go out for a drink with either her or Middleton, I'd pick Price.
Reply 130
I wouldn't say either of them are brilliant role models, but I picked Katie Price out of the two. Despite her faults, she has managed to successfully run several business ventures in multiple areas, as well as raise her children. She also does extremely well in terms of publicising charity, especially since the birth of Harvey. I would say that it doesn't even matter that this all started from glamour modelling. The main reason I think she isn't a brilliant role model is because of her marriages and rebound relationships. She has already proved that women don't need to be married to be happy- why is she trying to get hitched to every guy since Peter Andre?

Kate Middleton, to me, seems less of a role model because she came from a priveledged background. I, along with many other girls, can probably understand Katie Price's origins better. Plus, Kate may have been very successful without marrying Prince William, but there's no way of knowing this for certain. I think Katie Price showing how a woman can be successful in her own right is more impressive.
No one should be admired for their wealth and social status.
Original post by Sara_A
Kate price, is disgusting and has made a lot of money from nude modelling, whereas, Kate middleton worked hard to get through university and was a photographer. So I believe she would of been successful even of she didn't marry a royal

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Sorry but that's really quite funny.
Original post by Boner in joggers
Sorry but that's really quite funny.

Had a bad day and your username made me giggle for ages. Funniest thing I've seen all day and funniest username I've ever seen. Oh my gosh. I can't breathe.
Original post by jazzenthusiast
Had a bad day and your username made me giggle for ages. Funniest thing I've seen all day and funniest username I've ever seen. Oh my gosh. I can't breathe.
Glad to help I guess.
Katie Price, at least she's earned a living for herself.
Original post by Sara_A

What an ordeal that must have been for her!
Reply 137
Have plastic surgery and get your tits out or marry into unimaginable wealth.

Why are we considering either of these two to be role models?
What's the world coming too when people think that being a good businessman = good role model? Do you really have to have lots of money to be a good role model?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending