The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I've also recently gotten into Breaking Bad. :ahee: I watched the first episode a couple of months ago, it seemed comedic (?) at the time and I didn't really go back to it. I gave it a proper go this time and it's bloody fantastic. It's one of the best shows I've watched on television. Doing a marathon through all the episodes now and just about to start season 3.

I was thinking the other day how when I first started watching it I thought it was a comedy.

Not so much now.
Has anyone ever seen Wonder Boys directed by Curtis Hanson? Based on Michael Chabon's book

Great movie :biggrin:
Lawless: would be a really great movie if the lead actor wasn't Shia LaBeouf. As it is it's just pretty good.
Reply 7423
Original post by Phalanges
Lawless: would be a really great movie if the lead actor wasn't Shia LaBeouf. As it is it's just pretty good.

How was Tom Hardy?

On another note I watched Snow White and the huntsman the other, it was surprisingly enjoyable. Kristen Stewart's lack of facial expressions is worrying though, and I can't tell if the character Snow White was meant to be hotter than the evil queen, because Charlize Theron is definitely hotter. She would have been a great Cersei, better looking then Lena Headey and a better actress. I definitely pictured Cersei looking like her.

I am also someone who has only seen the first episode of Breaking Bad and never got back to it, I have planned to soon though :holmes:
Original post by sammyrifkin
Has anyone ever seen Wonder Boys directed by Curtis Hanson? Based on Michael Chabon's book

Great movie :biggrin:

I have and it is a really good film. I found it when I was going through a phase of looking for films about authors/book writing, and it popped up alongside Stranger than Fiction.
Bruce Willis is suing Apple over ownership of the songs he's downloaded from iTunes as he would liek to leave them to his children.
I've also recently gotten into Breaking Bad. :ahee: I watched the first episode a couple of months ago, it seemed comedic (?) at the time and I didn't really go back to it. I gave it a proper go this time and it's bloody fantastic. It's one of the best shows I've watched on television. Doing a marathon through all the episodes now and just about to start season 3.

I'm doing the same thing too, currently at the end of season 3 and still hooked! About to go watch the last in the season! To be honest, I don't see how they are going to progress it anymore, but i guess that's part of the reason why i'm hooked.
It was quite disjointed and, painfully, the same recycled story: a dystopian society, rebellion and the protagonist's 'awakening'. I always knew they wouldn't be able to execute the concept well. You have such a great potential in the set-up with the allusions to the Recall machine being able to implant memories allowing a person to become anyone, even a double agent. And then they had that transition with the Recall drug about to kick in before being yanked out in what seems like a complete change of atmosphere - best point to play up the 'Is this real or Recall?'. They do sort of play on that halfway through the film with Quaid's friend, Harry, as he attempts to convince Quaid that everything that is happening is part of Recall. But whilst it could have made for a great plot device in theory, putting doubt in the minds of the audience as to who Quaid really is and whether this is memory or reality, it just ends up as a half-hearted and awkward attempt at trying to confuse the main character which lasts a couple of minutes. And the plot plays out in typical predictable fashion.

It's a good looking film but the core concept is something which would have flourished under the hands of a better director, like Christopher Nolan. There are a lot of Inception parallels in theme.

As a fan of the original with Arnie, I must say it's probably the most predictable film I've seen yet. In the interviews with the cast they said "it will be something different, we didn't want to make the same film again". Liars.
Nearly all the scenes play out exactly the same as they did in the old film. With other remakes, at least they try to mix up the characters and storyline a bit.
Original post by Deshi
How was Tom Hardy?

Really good; it's nice to see him acting again instead of just standing around as a vaguely humanoid prop. Pretty much all of the cast except Shia were excellent, with particular mention to Dane DeHaan, Jessica Chastain and Guy Pearce.

Guy Pearce is so good in so many good films.
Reply 7429
Really good; it's nice to see him acting again instead of just standing around as a vaguely humanoid prop. Pretty much all of the cast except Shia were excellent, with particular mention to Dane DeHaan, Jessica Chastain and Guy Pearce.

That's good to know, he's one of my favourite actors atm. :yep:

Watched Lockout a while back and Guy Pearce was the only thing good about that film. I look forward to watching Lawless.
Reply 7430

The casting for that film looked so good - apart from Shia. How was Gary Oldman? :holmes:
Original post by G8D
Just watched Truman Show for the first time.

Para...

...noid?

I know that feel, bro.
Reply 7432
Anyone seen this? :biggrin:

Reply 7433
Original post by G8D

Para...

So good.

Just watched Attack the Block. I can see why it split opinion, but I did find it entertaining.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7434
Well, one films that seems to have been getting rave reviews all round recently:

[video="youtube;_ZRhi7IbVKs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZRhi7IbVKs[/video]

Looks pretty intriguing to me. I'll also hopefully be seeing Katalin Varga; keen on seeing what Peter Strickland is all about. A couple of critics are saying he's potentially one of the best young British directors around. :holmes:
how do I join? i love films:colondollar:
Reply 7436
Original post by MetropolisBoy
how do I join? i love films:colondollar:

Is your username a reference to the Fritz Lang film? :awesome:

Just go here and press the 'Join Group' on the top right of the screen. :h:

And welcome to TSR! :biggrin:
Original post by Abiraleft
Is your username a reference to the Fritz Lang film? :awesome:

Just go here and press the 'Join Group' on the top right of the screen. :h:

And welcome to TSR! :biggrin:

haha, yes !:awesome: I like you taste man:wink: And thank you ! :biggrin: cheers.
Original post by Abiraleft
Anyone seen this? :biggrin:

That is awesome!

Original post by G8D

Para...

I remember we started that in school but never finished it. We did get to the point were Carrey was starting to realise his life was one big lie. I remember a scene at the newspaper stand? Should go and watch it in fun.
Reply 7439
Original post by MetropolisBoy
haha, yes !:awesome: I like you taste man:wink: And thank you ! :biggrin: cheers.

Thanks. I loved Metropolis, but I haven't managed to get my hands on any other Lang film yet. :redface: What other films do you like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending