The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadab786ahmed
There's something peculiar about that folk...

What folk? :holmes:
Original post by MangoFreak
Why does age warrant respect? I'm not going to give a 60 year old, of whom I know nothing, anymore respect than I would a 20 year old, of whom I know nothing.

Touche. But what about caring. She cares for her younger brother (no matter what she says.) So does she not earn respect in that way?
Original post by JamalAhmed
Touche. But what about caring. She cares for her younger brother (no matter what she says.) So does she not earn respect in that way?

Respect is a highly subective thing. If her brother doesn't think she's earned his respect, that's his opinion. Obviously he's 9 so his respect is irrelevant, but that's just the way it is. It's the 21st century, we don't expect respect, we earn it :awesome: Even if she cares for him, if she conversely is mean to him when he gets a bit annoying, she might lose his respect.

Honestly I don't think 9 year olds can have a concept of respect. The closest things they would have to respect could possibly be idolisation and recognition of someone being nice to them. Respect requires a deeper understanding of things than can be held by the average 9 year old.

I love philosophy :awesome:
Respect is a highly subective thing. If her brother doesn't think she's earned his respect, that's his opinion. Obviously he's 9 so his respect is irrelevant, but that's just the way it is. It's the 21st century, we don't expect respect, we earn it :awesome: Even if she cares for him, if she conversely is mean to him when he gets a bit annoying, she might lose his respect.

Honestly I don't think 9 year olds can have a concept of respect. The closest things they would have to respect could possibly be idolisation and recognition of someone being nice to them. Respect requires a deeper understanding of things than can be held by the average 9 year old.

What you said is subjective. I believe 8/9 years old can respect their elders
You also deserve his respect because you care for him (I think) and you are older than him. And if you can't get his respect, then make him fear you.

I guess so.....I dont want him fearing me I dont hate him that much :s-smilie:

But you earlier said your brothers and sisters respect you. How could your younger brothers and sisters respect you when they do not know even know the meaning of respect?

ALSO: did you see the bitch in Worlds Strictest Parents this week? I wanted to punch her in the face. She's 18 and acts like a frickin 9 year old.
What you said is subjective. I believe 8/9 years old can respect their elders

:facepalm2: You're implying that subjectivism is a negative thing. Nowhere did I say that.

Obviously there are some 8/9 year olds who have genuine concepts of respect, I was too generalising, but in most cases they don't respect their elders; they show them respect because they know that they'll be in trouble if they don't, but showing respect and actually holding internal respect are two different things. It goes to show that there is no logical reason to be more respectful to those older than you without reason (more experience, genuine contribution to your life, other personal reason, etc.).
Original post by foreverstrong_97
I guess so.....I dont want him fearing me I dont hate him that much :s-smilie:

KL! :biggrin::smile:
But you earlier said your brothers and sisters respect you. How could your younger brothers and sisters respect you when they do not know even know the meaning of respect?

ALSO: did you see the bitch in Worlds Strictest Parents this week? I wanted to punch her in the face. She's 18 and acts like a frickin 9 year old.

Pfft, my siblings don't respect me.

But nevertheless, showing respect and holding genuine internal respect for a valid reason are not the same thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
KL! :biggrin::smile:

Yeah LOL! :tongue:

But nevertheless, showing respect and holding genuine internal respect for a valid reason are not the same thing.

Same I dont get respect but on those occasional times they do :colondollar: :eek: Weird I know :tongue:
Original post by foreverstrong_97
Same I dont get respect but on those occasional times they do :colondollar: :eek: Weird I know :tongue:

Not really :pierre: Young children are driven by emotion most of the time, so if they're not angry at you or something else, they might end up being reasonable and willing to facilitate niceties :tongue:
Who hear watches The Revolution Will be Televised? It is just too funny!! :lol:
Who hear watches The Revolution Will be Televised? It is just too funny!! :lol:

Not heard of it. What is it? :biggrin:

My little brother is a bit awkward though. After I get angry at him (I try not to but sometime you lose it) he cries...then I say "it was only a joke","why are you acting like a girl for" (I know that's sexist) "I'll buy you anything you like" he says he doesn't want anything and carries on. Then, 5 minutes he comes in my room and does anything I ask him to do which is often get Coca Cola or get water or find anything from the fridge and get it.
Not heard of it. What is it? :biggrin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00vqgx5/The_Revolution_Will_Be_Televised_Episode_1/

Just watch it! you will laugh like you never laughed before.
people i have re-returned again xD .. i had to go dentist :L.. and now they are going to put a referal in for my braces xD :smile: just gotta wait for my mum to make an apointment so they can to talk to her all that other stuff :L :smile:
Original post by techno836
people i have re-returned again xD .. i had to go dentist :L.. and now they are going to put a referal in for my braces xD :smile: just gotta wait for my mum to make an apointment so they can to talk to her all that other stuff :L :smile:

Oh god dentists... Some of my filling fell out and now I'm having to use a straw to drink/eat/consume liquids. Hello by the way!
What folk? :holmes:

One who thinks genuine internal respect and showing respect are the same thing...
My little brother is a bit awkward though. After I get angry at him (I try not to but sometime you lose it) he cries...then I say "it was only a joke","why are you acting like a girl for" (I know that's sexist) "I'll buy you anything you like" he says he doesn't want anything and carries on. Then, 5 minutes he comes in my room and does anything I ask him to do which is often get Coca Cola or get water or find anything from the fridge and get it.

He obviously does want your approval, you're his older brother. I still wouldn't call all-out voluntary servitude respect. I'm no psychiatrist, I haven't studied the patterns of children extensively. I philosophise about human morals and behaviour, not explain them :lol:

Latest