The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Intellectual Property Rights - Lancaster Pre-registration

It has asked me if I would like to opt-out of assigning them my Intellectual Property Rights.

I am currently reading through http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/registry/docs/IP_Regs_prereg.pdf and it isn't really helping.

Basically, what does it actually mean if I do/don't give them over? My gut instinct is to not, but would that affect my course or opportunities?

Thanks.
At undergraduate, it doesn't really mean anything. Technically, it means that the university own the work you do. In reality, most departments return all essays and dissertations to the owners once they are marked. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I think I opted out on the basis that in my fourth year when I do the research project I never know what might happen!
Reply 3
Are there any advantages to assigning my IP rights to them? I'm a postgrad btw..
Reply 4
Thanks for the help, I decided not to sign them over. :smile:

Got an email through the other day, basically said that it was only really for PhD students. Why they put it on an undergrad registration I don't know.

& I basically think that if you sign them over, then they try and find ways for your research to make some money. But you only get between 30 and 50% of the profits.
Reply 5
I didn't tick the box to say I didn't want to but now I kind of feel like I should have ticked it, is there a way to ever go back and change it?! Haha
Reply 6
Original post by Roloo
I didn't tick the box to say I didn't want to but now I kind of feel like I should have ticked it, is there a way to ever go back and change it?! Haha

I would suggest that you read the post above you. :P
Reply 7
Original post by Erratic
I would suggest that you read the post above you. :P

I know, I did read it haha but still what if I come up with some ground breaking discovery or invention while in my undergrad youth! :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Roloo
I know, I did read it haha but still what if I come up with some ground breaking discovery or invention while in my undergrad youth! :tongue:

Lancaster IP Regulations
Any student who for any reason did not assign at matriculation shall continue to have the right at any time to assign any of his or her intellectual property rights in whole or in part to the university.

Would you want 35 - 50% or 100%? When the time comes, protect your intellectual property yourself.

Good luck.
Reply 9
This may be a silly question but is anybody else having trouble setting a password? I've followed all of Lancaster's suggestions about choosing a password but still it's not been accepted. It says "Password couldn't be changed due to restriction. The specified network password is not correct." I'm not sure what to do :/
Reply 10
Original post by emilybe
This may be a silly question but is anybody else having trouble setting a password? I've followed all of Lancaster's suggestions about choosing a password but still it's not been accepted. It says "Password couldn't be changed due to restriction. The specified network password is not correct." I'm not sure what to do :/

Close your browser and try again. Make sure your password consists of a number and a capital letter (or letters). I hope it helps.

P.S. I set my password with several numbers, letters and two capital letters. Worked fine for me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Erratic
Close your browser and try again. Make sure your password consists of a number and a capital letter (or letters). I hope it helps.

P.S. I set my password with several numbers, letters and two capital letters. Worked fine for me.

Just tried this but I still get the same message. Is it worth contacting the Lancaster IT department tomorrow if I get the same response?
Reply 12
Original post by emilybe
Just tried this but I still get the same message. Is it worth contacting the Lancaster IT department tomorrow if I get the same response?

I would if I was you. Sorry I can't be of any use anymore.
Reply 13
Still nothing. I'll give them a ring in the morning. Thanks anyway!
Reply 14
As a postgrad the IPR thing is more significant given we are doing research that may well and is likely to lead to IP. BUT if you (like me) are fully funded for the research i) the funder has first call on the IP anyways and ii) it seems a little puerile to try to claim the rights when they paid you for your time to discover them.

This really isn't any different to when you are employed. Someone else is paying for you to do work, i.e. THEY OWN YOU.

Saying that the IPR deal offered by LU is pretty standard and does mean that you get something. That and honestly, when it comes to exploitation of research led IP they are much better placed to take the lead. As a side job I assess grant application requests for ICT innovation projects and it is really obvious when they are written by academics and when they are written by a professional exploitation bod.

Honestly don't worry too much and sign them over. Odds of you coming up with a Facebook are slim at best and if you had the brainwave chances are you'd drop out and run with it anyway before telling anyone, right?
how do you opt out then?
Original post by reema075
how do you opt out then?

It's just a box you can tick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending