The Student Room Group

Really bad at 11 a side football, plz help.

Hi guys, I really need some help. Last week, I played an 11 a side game, this was my first game of 11 a side on a full pitch and I played centre midfield. All the other ppl in my team had played b4. Every single time I made a mistake, they sort of encouraged me but also had a go at me. Just simple things like not clearing out from the back, or taking too much time on the ball. The thing is I know I am a good player but I have only played like on the park and that with my mates, and on much smaller pitches. My confidence is really low because I just know everyone was thinking or saying that it was my fault we lost 5-3 (even tho i didn't make any mistakes at the back). I don't know how to improve, because I have been training in my garden just passing it against the wall and stuff to improve my passing but every time i got the ball last week I just lingered on the ball! Also when I am defending I don't have a clue who to pick up, and every time I run in people just go past me or just pass it off. Also the whole of my team hardly said anything to me, and they are all probably thinking why are you even playing! I really need help!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Watch matches on TV and study others playing in the CM role. Learn from the best.
^^^ That's pretty much the answer. But don't be so hard on yourself, it's your first game. Even many of the pro players take time to adapt. You'll get better with experience. Plus, I don't think your back 4 can say too much to you when they've conceded 5 goals, lol.
Original post by Four Queue
^^^ That's pretty much the answer. But don't be so hard on yourself, it's your first game. Even many of the pro players take time to adapt. You'll get better with experience. Plus, I don't think your back 4 can say too much to you when they've conceded 5 goals, lol.

I know it takes time but the thing is likely next game I will be benched, and the other thing I hate is that everyone else is just thinking and probably saying behind my back that I am **** :/
Reply 4
Original post by sreddy17
I know it takes time but the thing is likely next game I will be benched, and the other thing I hate is that everyone else is just thinking and probably saying behind my back that I am **** :/

Making the transition from playing casually in the park to playing full 11 side football takes a while, midfield is an especially difficult position to play when you haven't had any proper match experience. You'll make mistakes, that's a given: progression comes from learning from these mistakes and correcting yourself next time. Train hard and learn, and don't forget- it's about having fun.
Original post by Turnip Kid
Making the transition from playing casually in the park to playing full 11 side football takes a while, midfield is an especially difficult position to play when you haven't had any proper match experience. You'll make mistakes, that's a given: progression comes from learning from these mistakes and correcting yourself next time. Train hard and learn, and don't forget- it's about having fun.

Ye i know , I realise that, thank you, but my confidence is so low, like I starting to not call for the ball after a while even if I am in good positions, just cos I feel like I am going to lose it.
Get your fitness up thats the first thing, Center mid is extremely demanding physically to play so if you can get your Stamina to a good level your already off to a good start. You need to relax when your on the ball, don't take forever that you keep getting tackled but don't get rid of it like its a bomb take however much time the situation requires and the more games you play the more used to it you'll get. Criticism is good as long as your not being completely berated by your teammates it allows you to learn where you need to improve.

Central midfielders don't have a set role really, your expected to cover everywhere on the pitch attacking and defending so this is where high fitness comes into play. Work on your positioning and as time goes by you will get more comfortable with it and be able to read the attacks more easily. Another thing to work on is your passing which is mixed with long and short balls.

I had the same problem as you but it was from 11 a side to 5 a side, always been a player who relied on my speed to run at people which 11 a side allowed me but 5 a side by the time i had accelerated i was at the end of the pitch which was frustrating. Work on your short bursts of running as well.
thanks guys appreciate it, any help on how to like well get over the 'embarassment' and awkwardness that may follow until the next time when I go back to college.
Reply 8
Ye i know , I realise that, thank you, but my confidence is so low, like I starting to not call for the ball after a while even if I am in good positions, just cos I feel like I am going to lose it.

I lose confidence quickly as well, especially when more vocal people who are also having a mare shift the blame on to me. When you are in a good position to receive the ball think about your next pass before you even get it. Just a little tip:smile:
Original post by checkolad
I lose confidence quickly as well, especially when more vocal people who are also having a mare shift the blame on to me. When you are in a good position to receive the ball think about your next pass before you even get it. Just a little tip:smile:

How do you get the confidence back, cos I go downhill very quickly, when I have made a single mistake, just like a bad first touch or a bad pass.
How do you get the confidence back, cos I go downhill very quickly, when I have made a single mistake, just like a bad first touch or a bad pass.

What i think to myself is i need to redeem myself and that everyone's susceptible to a mistake its how you go about correcting it. Also if your teammates are completely ripping into you then your coach should get in there and make them stop. Football is about teamwork and teamwork is not about embarrassing someone in public.
Original post by johnharris19944
What i think to myself is i need to redeem myself and that everyone's susceptible to a mistake its how you go about correcting it. Also if your teammates are completely ripping into you then your coach should get in there and make them stop. Football is about teamwork and teamwork is not about embarrassing someone in public.

No no they are not like screaming at me and stuff, but I know, like I can just tell they all think I am really bad or shouldn't be playing etc../
Reply 12
CM is, in my opinion, the hardest position to play. I used to play there at youth level after having previously being a striker and a cb. It is difficult to know when you need to press/sit back, when to play the short and simple ball to try and recycle possession or when to move it forwards. This is something that comes naturally to some or you will just learn it through playing a lot. It is also a position that requires high levels of fitness so you could work on that.

Another guy above has quite rightly said that in the beginning of the game just try and play some short, simple passes (it is not a problem to go backwards) and don't just hoof it forwards. Always play with your head up and with confidence, when dribbling keep the ball close to your feet: you can practice this easily anywhere.

I'm confused as to why your coach/team have decided to stick you in CM when you have never played 11-a-side before, surely it would have been safer on the wings/at full back?

Don't be too hard on yourself as well, most people around you will have been playing since the age of 6/7 so have had much longer to develop their game.

Best of luck mate, enjoy it.

Ps. How old are you?
Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but what position would be recommended for someone who hasn't really played before and doesn't have that great fitness? I was thinking fullback is probably the best choice, but getting roasted by ***** in nike vapours doesn't appeal much to me.
Original post by DScofield
CM is, in my opinion, the hardest position to play. I used to play there at youth level after having previously being a striker and a cb. It is difficult to know when you need to press/sit back, when to play the short and simple ball to try and recycle possession or when to move it forwards. This is something that comes naturally to some or you will just learn it through playing a lot. It is also a position that requires high levels of fitness so you could work on that.

Another guy above has quite rightly said that in the beginning of the game just try and play some short, simple passes (it is not a problem to go backwards) and don't just hoof it forwards. Always play with your head up and with confidence, when dribbling keep the ball close to your feet: you can practice this easily anywhere.

I'm confused as to why your coach/team have decided to stick you in CM when you have never played 11-a-side before, surely it would have been safer on the wings/at full back?

Don't be too hard on yourself as well, most people around you will have been playing since the age of 6/7 so have had much longer to develop their game.

Best of luck mate, enjoy it.

Ps. How old are you?

erm 17
Original post by Boner in joggers
Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but what position would be recommended for someone who hasn't really played before and doesn't have that great fitness? I was thinking fullback is probably the best choice, but getting roasted by ***** in nike vapours doesn't appeal much to me.

Was gonna say most teams expect the full back to do a lot of overlapping with the winger so that actually requires a big amount of fitness. Also he could be up against some of the trickiest and fastest players which is that a good idea since if they start having a good day hes gonna lose confidence. Striker would probably be the least dangerous since if he loses the ball up front its no problem but if he loses it in his half and close to his box that spells danger :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Boner in joggers

Up front. Centre backs and strikers do the least running in a match.
Reply 17
You should look for 11 aside teams on the net ... practice with them and then go onto playing with your mates .
centre back tip-always communicate with your fellow players and never be afraid to win the ball back.
hey man...what happened to your improvements.....i am even worse than u....i need some advice...plz
Original post by username537823
Hi guys, I really need some help. Last week, I played an 11 a side game, this was my first game of 11 a side on a full pitch and I played centre midfield. All the other ppl in my team had played b4. Every single time I made a mistake, they sort of encouraged me but also had a go at me. Just simple things like not clearing out from the back, or taking too much time on the ball. The thing is I know I am a good player but I have only played like on the park and that with my mates, and on much smaller pitches. My confidence is really low because I just know everyone was thinking or saying that it was my fault we lost 5-3 (even tho i didn't make any mistakes at the back). I don't know how to improve, because I have been training in my garden just passing it against the wall and stuff to improve my passing but every time i got the ball last week I just lingered on the ball! Also when I am defending I don't have a clue who to pick up, and every time I run in people just go past me or just pass it off. Also the whole of my team hardly said anything to me, and they are all probably thinking why are you even playing! I really need help!

Quick Reply

Latest