The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boba
oh but can somebody explain to me why all of the people in the missile place had Indian accents? When it was just that woman talking it didn't register as I guess I just assumed it was her accent but then the rest of them did to. So at that point I though "oh its an Indian missile thing" but then it puzzled me as to why they would of been speaking English if that was the case. :confused:

Not sure if anyone's answered you... But pretty sure he was in India hence the 'ISA' - India Space Agency.

And they spoke English because the TARDIS translates everything into a language we understand :smile:

And he was also in the future, not in our time, hence everything super hi-tech :smile:
Reply 8421
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
Not sure if anyone's answered you... But pretty sure he was in India hence the 'ISA' - India Space Agency.

And they spoke English because the TARDIS translates everything into a language we understand :smile:

And he was also in the future, not in our time, hence everything super hi-tech :smile:

English is the first language in India anyway isn't it??
As with every single 11 episode ever (apart from a few of stonkers here and there) once again, I absolutely adored all the characters and special effects and it looked brilliant but it didn't make me just fall in love like RTD's episodes used to.

I do love you Moffat, but you just don't deliver as well as RTD used to :frown:
Original post by Mess.
English is the first language in India anyway isn't it??

Is it? I'm pretty sure all the city dwellers can speak English nowadays, not sure about the smaller villages and stuff though.
Original post by lizolove
Here's Filch, now, where's Mrs Norris? :tongue:

Not sure, but Arthur Weasley turned up!
Reply 8425

I'm sure there was a part when they were just speaking to each other though without any contact to the doctor or tardis. When one of them said something about the ship moving away and the other saying it was to late.
People speaking English in India wasn't the biggest problem with this episode.
Apologies if someone else already brought this up but did no one else think it was unlike the doctor to kill the guy at the end (I can't remember his character or actor name so I'm gonna go with Filch :wink:)? I mean he was crippled and clearly posed no threat by that point and the Doctor has tried to save just about everyone he could, he's even tried to save daleks before, but apparently he had no moral qualms about killing this completely unthreatening man for absolutely no reason. I still like Doctor Who and all but the show's writing is going a bit downhill now imo. Although Mark Williams was absolutley genius!
Original post by boba
I'm sure there was a part when they were just speaking to each other though without any contact to the doctor or tardis. When one of them said something about the ship moving away and the other saying it was to late.

But the TARDIS technically speaking breaks the fourth wall and translates for us anyway. Like when Aliens are plotting on their own or up in their spaceship, they should revert to their own language but they're still speaking English.

I guess that's why the Indians still spoke English then.
Original post by Colonel.
I'm trying to think of episodes I'd rate lower.

Star Whale.
Reply 8430
Original post by Battenberg
Apologies if someone else already brought this up but did no one else think it was unlike the doctor to kill the guy at the end (I can't remember his character or actor name so I'm gonna go with Filch :wink:)? I mean he was crippled and clearly posed no threat by that point and the Doctor has tried to save just about everyone he could, he's even tried to save daleks before, but apparently he had no moral qualms about killing this completely unthreatening man for absolutely no reason. I still like Doctor Who and all but the show's writing is going a bit downhill now imo. Although Mark Williams was absolutley genius!

in the trailer for the next episode he seems less merciful and amy comments on it so maybe its a lead in to that.
Original post by Battenberg

He killed him because he commited genocide.

And I think maybe the writers did it on purpose. He's spending less and less time with the Ponds and his character is becoming more ruthless as a result which will somehow lead to them leaving/dying (however they go out).

That's just my take though. I could be just being way too optimistic about the writers plans! :P
Reply 8432
But the TARDIS technically speaking breaks the fourth wall and translates for us anyway. Like when Aliens are plotting on their own or up in their spaceship, they should revert to their own language but they're still speaking English.

I guess that's why the Indians still spoke English then.

good point, I've never actually noticed that before but now you mention it its true.
The Indian Space Agency (or whatever it was called) was from way into the future - 2367 AD - so English could be the universal international language, or something like that :p:

I have a question about Brian. I thought he was AWESOME. Loved him. But why was he not at the wedding? I mean, obviously the actor wouldn't have randomly turned up 2 series ago, but he obviously didn't recognise the Doctor or the Tardis, both of which he would have seen at the wedding.
Original post by JessicaW
Star Whale.

I really don't get the Star Whale hate. I mean, it wasn't a great episode, but there have been far worse.
This show is terrible at the moment. I used to love it :frown:

I actually thought this week's episode was slightly better than the last, which really was shocking, but... yeah. Moffat's writing is ludicrous.

edit: I just saw that someone else wrote this ep, but Moffat's writing is still ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Moffat, when he gets the time to tell his story, is great. This is why Sherlock is great, this is why his double parters are great, this is why everything else is rushed to hell.
Omg people! The Tardis translates everything into the language the recipient whom hears it understands. For example Nephy would hear everything in Egypt from her POV and Amy would hear everything in English and The Doctor.. Galiphreyan although he/it is fluent in 1000's of languages. We as the viewer.. hear it in English for practical reasons.. how boring would it be if none of the characters could understand eachother.
Reply 8438
Original post by GrazzleDazzle
Omg people! The Tardis translates everything into the language the recipient whom hears it understands. For example Nephy would hear everything in Egypt from her POV and Amy would hear everything in English and The Doctor.. Galiphreyan although he/it is fluent in 1000's of languages. We as the viewer.. hear it in English for practical reasons.. how boring would it be if none of the characters could understand eachother.

I think the point was more about how the queen would be able to talk to American man once the TARDIS field has left them or if it allows you to translate every language forever?
I found todays episode quite crap tbh :/ I really hated the robots ¬¬ I just wanted to turn them into tin cans :dry: I found last weeks fine but urgh this crap :frown:

Latest