The Student Room Group

I'm too shy to dance in clubs? How to let go?

Ok so I'm not the shyest person in the world (I used to be when I was younger) but dancing scares me. I don't know how to dance and I'm too scared to even dance in front of my friends. I think I'm just worried about how I'm gonna look and also I don't think people expect me to dance, I think they see me as quite reserved which I am at first I suppose so that makes me even more rigid. Other people don't seem to worry about these things at all, they can just let go so easily.

How do I get to that place? How can I learn to let go? I don't want to be a buzz kill lol And btw I don't even know how to dance.

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get drunk; nobody goes to clubs to dance, they go to pull/be pulled. Dancing/enjoying the music/going out with friends is used as a pretext.
Do you drink? That can make things easier :tongue:

If not, try to just dance with your friends first, sing/mouth along with the song if that makes you more comfortable. You can do the whole copying a friends dance move so you're sort of dancing together.

Being a guy I find it quite easy, when I'm with friends we just do silly things and if I'm trying to dance with a girl I just smile and 'play off' what she's doing so we move together smoothly-ish. Like 2 weeks ago we were all messing about and the Olympics was raging so i started doing the mobot, everyone joined in. You look silly but it's fun because everyone does :tongue: Noone is expecting you to have come straight out of strictly come dancing.
Reply 3
yeah definately get drunk, that gives me the confidence to dance way much more than if i havent had a drink.
Reply 4
A-L-C-O-H-O-L!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
lol at your username.

in answer to your question, alcohol.
Reply 6
Original post by ser00
lol at your username.

in answer to your question, alcohol.

HHAHAHA yeah about that...I'm using my friend's account LOL
Depends the kind of music, but in doubt just bust some really cheesy dance moves from the 70/80s...
The robot, swimming down, the mokey, etc...People love it.
Reply 8
I'm actually more scared to dance in front of my friends than random people lol To be honest scared is not the right word to use but I don't know what else to use so I'm gonna use that. Its like I'm too scared to even mouth words. like....WTF?? I just don't understand why I feel this way. I need to come out of my shell but I don't know how. I don't really consider myself a boring person....reserved yes but I can be a laugh. Atleast with people I know really well lol
You don't need alcohol! I don't drink myself but I've had no problem learning to let go and have fun with my friends. The majority of people are thinking the same as you right now...it's all silly & just for fun anyway, people won't be judging you if you can't dance like contestants on a dance show! :smile:
I think what I'm scared about is my friends' reaction. They'll just tease me and go "oooww look at her, go *****" etc..which is just for fun but I don't know how to handle that? I think I feel like they are laughing at me?

That's another thing I need to fix. I get butt hurt over every little thing. How do I stop doing that?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IndianDancer
I think what I'm scared about is my friends' reaction. They'll just tease me and go "oooww look at her, go *****" etc..which is just for fun but I don't know how to handle that? I think I feel like they are laughing at me?

That's another thing I need to fix. I get butt hurt over every little thing. How do I stop doing that?

So what if they laugh at you? If you're having a good time, who cares! My friends constantly make fun of me but you just have to learn to see the funny side of it. Once they see you can laugh at yourself also they'll get bored and stop. Besides, they probably won't even laugh at you dancing, you won't be as bad as you think. Just drink heaps and let go...we all must look like right muppets when it goes out dancing. There's no rules on how to dance just go crazy. Why don't you put some music on REALLY loud in your room today and dance around? :-)
Reply 12

Erm, sorry what?
Original post by senator88
So what if they laugh at you? If you're having a good time, who cares! My friends constantly make fun of me but you just have to learn to see the funny side of it. Once they see you can laugh at yourself also they'll get bored and stop. Besides, they probably won't even laugh at you dancing, you won't be as bad as you think. Just drink heaps and let go...we all must look like right muppets when it goes out dancing. There's no rules on how to dance just go crazy. Why don't you put some music on REALLY loud in your room today and dance around? :-)

That's the thing I can't laugh at myself. I take everything too seriously. At first anyway...and then when I look back I can actually laugh at myself. But intially I just get really offended. How do I fix this?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KyraBloke
Erm, sorry what?

What?
Reply 15
What?

your butt hurts? what did u mean to write haha
Reply 16
I can't dance sober. I also can't enjoy any type of dance/ pop/ RnB etc music sober. Although I barely enjoy them drunk either.
Reply 17
Just think that most people are drunk in that club and will not even remember your face after five minutes!
Reply 18
Ok so I'm not the shyest person in the world (I used to be when I was younger) but dancing scares me. I don't know how to dance and I'm too scared to even dance in front of my friends. I think I'm just worried about how I'm gonna look and also I don't think people expect me to dance, I think they see me as quite reserved which I am at first I suppose so that makes me even more rigid. Other people don't seem to worry about these things at all, they can just let go so easily.

How do I get to that place? How can I learn to let go? I don't want to be a buzz kill lol And btw I don't even know how to dance.

Thanks!

Original post by KyraBloke
your butt hurts? what did u mean to write haha

LOOOOOOOL no wth. You know how people say "stop getting so butt hurt"? I meant it liek that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending