The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7460
Just finished watching X-Men Origins: First Class again. Enjoyable film :yep: Any ideas when the next one is coming out?

Currently watching Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon. I don't remember it being up to much but couldn't see anything else on Sky Films on Demand that caught my eye :sad:
Reply 7461
I always forget how annoying Shia LeBouf is :sigh: I still don't understand how he has fluked his way into some sort of leading man role.
He has a kick ass agent and that simple boy look.
Woody Allen's next film is in Rome? I wonder if he has some contract with tourism agencies. :beard: Midnight in Paris was a lovely film, looking forward to his future projects.
Reply 7464
Original post by Colonel.
Midnight in Paris is a quality film. Makes me look forward to the new Woody Allen set in Rome.

I thought the trailer looked pretty rubbish. Hopefully, that doesn't mean anything. :dontknow:
The next 4 months in film:

Spoiler

Reply 7466
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The next 4 months in film:

Spoiler

Nice little round-up. :top:

1. Wreck-It-Ralph - had not heard about this, looks like great fun. :biggrin:

2. Argo - I really liked Affleck's previous directorial efforts and liked the look of the trailer for this one as well, so looking forward to this. The reviews coming out of Toronto have only been lukewarm, though.

3. Ruby Sparks - Huh, interesting. Sounds a bit like Stranger Than Fiction; hopefully it will be better executed than that.

4. Cloud Atlas - from the descriptions and stuff, I'm not so sure about this one. I haven't read the book or anything, though, so I don't really know.

5. Django Unchained - Looks like fun, but (from the trailer) unspectacular. After Inglourious Basterds, I'll be tempering myself for this one. :yy:

6. Dredd - Only heard about it very recently. Looks like fun, but I'm not sure it's the kind of film I'll be able to appreciate much. We'll see. :redface:

7. To Rome With Love - After the trailer, I'm not expecting much. :nothing: Still need to watch Midnight in Paris as well, though, so not the most educated opinion. :o:

8. Skyfall - Thought the teaser looked fantastic, and the actual trailer a little less so. The names involved (particularly Mendes and Bardem) will still have me looking out for this, though.

9. The Hobbit - Nervous anticipation. Both annoyed and intrigued by the plans for a trilogy.

10. Looper - When I first heard about this, I wasn't too excited: it seemed to me to be the kind of films that would fail miserably to capture the scope of the concept it wanted to explore in favour of action/effects, like The Butterfly Effect or In Time (this opinion might have largely been a reaction to Willis' inclusion :p:). But it's getting very good initial reviews from Toronto (or is it Venice?), so my interest is being kindled. :beard:

11. Lincoln - Had me at Daniel Day-Lewis. Hopefully brilliant and not a massive flop (that's an either/or thing for this movie in my eyes!).

12. The Master - Film I've been most anticipating this year. Early reviews suggest it's yet another masterpiece. :excited:
I can't wait for the blackface in Cloud Atlas.
Reply 7468
Is there going to be a Movie Madness this year?
Reply 7469
Just re-watched Rashomon. Absolutely one of my favourite films. Just so accomplished at so many aspects of film-making, and works on a number of different levels. :moon:
Reply 7470
Original post by Abiraleft
Just re-watched Rashomon. Absolutely one of my favourite films. Just so accomplished at so many aspects of film-making, and works on a number of different levels. :moon:

I find it hard to watch films that old, dunno why.
Reply 7471
Original post by Deshi

I'm the same unless it is amazing classics like Jason and the Argonauts :coma:
Reply 7472
Original post by Deshi

By virtue of them being old? I suppose it's understandable that some people don't take too well to old film quality, editing, etc.

Original post by Mess.

Rashomon is an amazing classic too! :fuhrer:
Nice little round-up. :top:

1. Wreck-It-Ralph - had not heard about this, looks like great fun. :biggrin:

2. Argo - I really liked Affleck's previous directorial efforts and liked the look of the trailer for this one as well, so looking forward to this. The reviews coming out of Toronto have only been lukewarm, though.

3. Ruby Sparks - Huh, interesting. Sounds a bit like Stranger Than Fiction; hopefully it will be better executed than that.

4. Cloud Atlas - from the descriptions and stuff, I'm not so sure about this one. I haven't read the book or anything, though, so I don't really know.

5. Django Unchained - Looks like fun, but (from the trailer) unspectacular. After Inglourious Basterds, I'll be tempering myself for this one. :yy:

6. Dredd - Only heard about it very recently. Looks like fun, but I'm not sure it's the kind of film I'll be able to appreciate much. We'll see. :redface:

7. To Rome With Love - After the trailer, I'm not expecting much. :nothing: Still need to watch Midnight in Paris as well, though, so not the most educated opinion. :o:

8. Skyfall - Thought the teaser looked fantastic, and the actual trailer a little less so. The names involved (particularly Mendes and Bardem) will still have me looking out for this, though.

9. The Hobbit - Nervous anticipation. Both annoyed and intrigued by the plans for a trilogy.

10. Looper - When I first heard about this, I wasn't too excited: it seemed to me to be the kind of films that would fail miserably to capture the scope of the concept it wanted to explore in favour of action/effects, like The Butterfly Effect or In Time (this opinion might have largely been a reaction to Willis' inclusion :p:). But it's getting very good initial reviews from Toronto (or is it Venice?), so my interest is being kindled. :beard:

11. Lincoln - Had me at Daniel Day-Lewis. Hopefully brilliant and not a massive flop (that's an either/or thing for this movie in my eyes!).

12. The Master - Film I've been most anticipating this year. Early reviews suggest it's yet another masterpiece. :excited:

Cloud Atlas comes out in October in the US and, wait for it, March in the UK. That pretty much kills off most of my hype. Midnight in Paris is excellent, watch it (!) but the reviews for To Rome With Love are very mixed so I don't think it will be up to par. Looper is another with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 21 reviews - 2012 has been a very strange years in terms of what films you were expecting would perform well critically. The Hobbit and Skyfall should be excellent :excited: - at least I hope so after the slew of less than satisfactory releases this year. :unimpressed: And I reckon Lincoln and The Master will be the main films that duke it out at the Oscars.

Original post by Mess.

Keen to see plebians push The Shawshank Redemption to yet another win? :holmes:
Reply 7474
Cloud Atlas comes out in October in the US and, wait for it, March in the UK. That pretty much kills off most of my hype. Midnight in Paris is excellent, watch it (!) but the reviews for To Rome With Love are very mixed so I don't think it will be up to par. Looper is another with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 21 reviews - 2012 has been a very strange years in terms of what films you were expecting would perform well critically. The Hobbit and Skyfall should be excellent :excited: - at least I hope so after the slew of less than satisfactory releases this year. :unimpressed: And I reckon Lincoln and The Master will be the main films that duke it out at the Oscars.

Keen to see plebians push The Shawshank Redemption to yet another win? :holmes:

If it doesn't happen each year then the world stops turning :yep:

Not forgetting Les Mis for me.

It's a shame that Great Gatsby got pushed back. That would have been an epic cinema viewing in December. :coma:
Reply 7476
Original post by Mess.

:yep:

By virtue of them being old? I suppose it's understandable that some people don't take too well to old film quality, editing, etc.

I think it's the whole black and white thing. I've seen and loved films like Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now etc.
I really hate the term gamer. I find it insulting to define me by one interest and lazy advertising to market to me as such. Could you imagine how immature it would sound to market The Great Gatsby as "this is for all you book lovers out there!". This is why I am not looking forward to Wreck-it-Ralph - something does not become as good as something else simply by referencing it, and any film which obnoxiously uses it's references as the main selling point of the film doesn't understand that. It's the whole issue of Scream vs Scary Movie. Also, there are at least two fantastic video game movies.

Original post by Mess.

I don't have the time to do it this year, sadly.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Not forgetting Les Mis for me.

I wasn't aware of that film until now. Quite a cast, it's only fault is that it's a musical. :ninja: I'm not slating musicals but in general, they tend to be pretty drab. The last good one I remember watching was The Phantom of the Opera.

Original post by Phalanges
I really hate the term gamer. I find it insulting to define me by one interest and lazy advertising to market to me as such. Could you imagine how immature it would sound to market The Great Gatsby as "this is for all you book lovers out there!". This is why I am not looking forward to Wreck-it-Ralph - something does not become as good as something else simply by referencing it, and any film which obnoxiously uses it's references as the main selling point of the film doesn't understand that. It's the whole issue of Scream vs Scary Movie. Also, there are at least two fantastic video game movies.

Where have you seen advertising or marketing for Wreck It Ralph that does this? I've never seen anything in promotional material for the film that suggests this slant. If anything the film seems to say "this is for all you animated film lovers out there!" with a couple of brief cameos from other arcade games, which seems entirely appropriate given the film is based on the premise of a character from an arcade game.

I wouldn't mind that paragraph from the list I posted; it was written by the film equivalent of a TotoMimo, hyperboles and generalisations everywhere.
So I hope y'all agree that the greatest film ever is to be released this year.

The Hobbit.

Oh btw anybody else notice that Looper has 100% on rotten tomatoes atm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending