University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallenangel
For those looking to buy an Arriva Bus Pass:

https://m-ticket.arriva.co.uk/csp/arrivanat/dt.interface.shop.cls

This discount code is valid for the time being, it'll take off £35 so I'd say it's worth getting: 82275117

Hope it helps!

Thanks for that! May I just ask where you did find the code??

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Retro.spex
Thanks for that! May I just ask where you did find the code??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just through word of mouth, couldn't find an email or anything :smile:
Original post by fallenangel
Just through word of mouth, couldn't find an email or anything :smile:

Ah okay, I was going to say, I hadn't managed to find anything! Thanks again, I think I'll be buying one of these, not sure I can handle a 40 minute walk everyday...
Reply 683
I wanted to buy the arriva bus pass on internet ( the discount is too interesting lol) but I've seen they don't post the bus pass in our hall of residence. But I leave my country in two weeks so I can't ask them to post it in my home now :-s what can I do?
Reply 684
Original post by QI Elf
You won't share a bathroom with the subwarden- he has his own in his flat. But you will more than likely mix lots with the boys- I did the first year I was there and are still friends with them even now we've al left.

I didn't have a TV and its not all that common to, after all you'd have to pay £120 or something similar for a TV Licence. I used my laptop for dvds and watched TV online through iPlayer (the BBC online service for watching shows) and other similar ones for the other British tv channels. Thats what the majority of people tend to use over here. Yeah, some do have TVs, most generally don't.

Do you by chance have any pictures of the kitchen or any parts of the house? also, how was the wifi? if its really slow ill get an ethernet cable. thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 685
I got my arrival time and date for the accommodation today (I'm in Oadby). It's on Saturday afternoon but my Dad would've taken the car to work by then and I'd rather not have to go on the train with my mum with all my luggage! So I've emailed the accommodation people asking if I could arrive in the morning instead, Saturday or Sunday.

If the accommodation people are ok with it, I'd rather go on the Saturday morning because I want to meet the people in my house as we all move in. However my parents want me to move in on Sunday morning so they don't have to be in such a rush (my Dad goes to work later on Sunday).

What do you think I should do? I'd rather my parents not be in a rush, but I don't want to miss out on meeting people, but then it'll only be one day... so I don't know. Opinions please :biggrin:

Also does anyone know if all the people in a house move in on the same day? If they don't then I've got no problem in moving in on Sunday!
Original post by whotosee
I got my arrival time and date for the accommodation today (I'm in Oadby). It's on Saturday afternoon but my Dad would've taken the car to work by then and I'd rather not have to go on the train with my mum with all my luggage! So I've emailed the accommodation people asking if I could arrive in the morning instead, Saturday or Sunday.

If the accommodation people are ok with it, I'd rather go on the Saturday morning because I want to meet the people in my house as we all move in. However my parents want me to move in on Sunday morning so they don't have to be in such a rush (my Dad goes to work later on Sunday).

What do you think I should do? I'd rather my parents not be in a rush, but I don't want to miss out on meeting people, but then it'll only be one day... so I don't know. Opinions please :biggrin:

Also does anyone know if all the people in a house move in on the same day? If they don't then I've got no problem in moving in on Sunday!

Everyone in your block will move in the same time and date as you.....they do this for 2 reasons.

1 so you can bond with your house mates
2 to reduce the amount of traffic

If you really can't move in on the day they have given you the ring and explain. I'm sure they won't have a problem. But just be aware that your flat mates will have been there a whole day/night together =D good luck
Reply 687
Anyone request early arrival and hear back?
Nixon Court, Block C, Flat 25! Woopwoop!
hi I'm an international student at Uni of Leicester!

I don't know if anyone's going to see this, but i have some questions :smile:

1) i was thinking about applying for Mary Gee, or one of the Salisbury Houses, or anywhere in City Living. How are they? Are they soooooo bad to live in?

2) will i need a bus pass? i'll stay for only one semester and i love walking.

3) is it hard to make friends in Semester 2? :frown: im worried as hell!
Leicester is a great city, i live there
accomodation on manor road is top notch and not too far from the botanical gardens if you're into that!
Reply 691
Original post by rainnwilson
hi I'm an international student at Uni of Leicester!

I don't know if anyone's going to see this, but i have some questions :smile:

1) i was thinking about applying for Mary Gee, or one of the Salisbury Houses, or anywhere in City Living. How are they? Are they soooooo bad to live in?

2) will i need a bus pass? i'll stay for only one semester and i love walking.

3) is it hard to make friends in Semester 2? :frown: im worried as hell!

Mary Gee's probably more sociable than Salisbury Houses (which I think has a lot of final years in who will be working hard in semester 2 not partying). And no they're not.

From Mary Gee I would but you can decide once you get here if you wanted to walk every day.

No, ERASMUS/international students associations will help, though to meet Brits you may be best joining societies rather than relying on accommodation.
Hi! I was thinking about applying for City Living, Self-Catered, Premium Single, which leaves Salisbury Houses.

I'm only staying for one semester, and it's about 210 pounds I'll save if I choose Standard Single instead of Premium Single.

Is a wash basin in your room...convenient? I mean, is it worth 400 pounds for one semester or is it livable without it?

And the shower... do we have to see each other naked?!?!?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 693
Hi! I was thinking about applying for City Living, Self-Catered, Premium Single, which leaves Salisbury Houses.

I'm only staying for one semester, and it's about 400 pounds I'll save if I choose Standard Single instead of Premium Single.

Is a wash basin in your room...convenient? I mean, is it worth 400 pounds for one semester or is it livable without it?

And the shower... do we have to see each other naked?!?!?

Depends how far from the bathroom you are. I thought it was, but I was the furthest away from it in my block. Also, as a girl means you have somewhere to do make up etc. without all getting in each other's way.

Yeah, they feel this is the best way to facilitate the weekly orgy, every Friday at 9.

No, the showers are in cubicles and people generally wrap a towel round themselves to walk back to their room, given you're not a guy your chances of having the towel ripped off are pretty negligible.
Original post by ali_w
I went to look at Leicester Accommodation at the open day and for some reason they decided not to open any of the cheap standard self catered!
That's the only stuff I can afford so what's it really like?

They don't open Mary Gee or Freemans common on open days because they are a bit of a dive. You'll hear loads of stuff about how bad Mary Gee is but to be honest, I live in Mary Gee and it's fine. It's rough around the edges and a bit grotty but it has a sociable atmosphere and the shower is warm. The room I have is bigger than the one I had at home although the kitchen is too small for 10 people. Having 10 people in the same house as you is really good fun, although I do have awesome housemates and not everyone is so lucky.
Original post by roh
Depends how far from the bathroom you are. I thought it was, but I was the furthest away from it in my block. Also, as a girl means you have somewhere to do make up etc. without all getting in each other's way.

Yeah, they feel this is the best way to facilitate the weekly orgy, every Friday at 9.

Spoiler

Thank you so much, Roh!
Great information...
You are so kind :biggrin:!!
Reply 696
Just a quick message, To any first years looking for private accommodation next year, DO NOT use Habitio private landlord !
Multiple people i know have rats, rotting floorboards, leaking roofs, slugs and much worse!
Hey guys... I applied for standard city living and i've been offered a premium ensuite and i simply can't afford it... I don't know why they gave me this room :frown:
What happens if i reject this offer? Do they offer me the alternative or not?
I'm desperate :frown:...
Hey guys... I applied for standard city living and i've been offered a premium ensuite and i simply can't afford it... I don't know why they gave me this room :frown:
What happens if i reject this offer? Do they offer me the alternative or not?
I'm desperate :frown:...

If you're desperate and you want to live near-ish to the city centre, have you considered private halls of residence? Ensuites and not quite as expensive, have a look at the Summit, Liberty Park and Filbert Village. As far as I'm aware, though I could be wrong, if you decline the offer I think you have to apply again and then they find something else?
Reply 699
hi, i'm thinking of going beaumont catered en-suite, but you have to take all your stuff out over Christmas i heard.

how do people deal with that?

i think it'd be a bit much for me seeing as i live in Hartlepool which is in between Middlesbrough and Newcastle, to bring it all home on the holidays.
i was just hoping to hear how people deal with it like storage and such.
:curious:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending