The Student Room Group

Morrisons job interview.

Just had a phone call, finally got a job interview :biggrin:. Next Monday at 2:30pm.

But I've never had a job, or an interview in my life. Anyone got any advice on what I can expect?

Or does anyone work for Morrisons already that could give me a rough idea on how their interview process goes? I'm not asking for all of the answers, I just don't know what to expect haha :tongue:

I don't even own the likes of black pants etc, should I buy some then? Haha:smile:

Thanks for the help in advance guys! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone? :tongue:
Original post by laurennmc
Just had a phone call, finally got a job interview :biggrin:. Next Monday at 2:30pm.

But I've never had a job, or an interview in my life. Anyone got any advice on what I can expect?

Or does anyone work for Morrisons already that could give me a rough idea on how their interview process goes? I'm not asking for all of the answers, I just don't know what to expect haha :tongue:

I don't even own the likes of black pants etc, should I buy some then? Haha:smile:

Thanks for the help in advance guys! :biggrin:

I work at Morrisons as a Cafe Assistant. :smile: Morrisons was my second interview, first job so I was pretty inexperienced also. I expected to be asked typical interview questions such as "Why do you want to work for us?" and "What will make you good for the job?" etc etc but I wasn't asked anything like that. My interview was just like a big informal chat about the answers I'd written on the application form and more information about the job. :smile:

I think black trousers are a good idea because look smart. I wore black trousers with a plain white gypsy top and black shoes.

Good luck with your interview. :biggrin: Remember to arrive about 10-15 minutes early and bring all the documentation and photocopies that you need to bring. :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by ScottishShortiex
I work at Morrisons as a Cafe Assistant. :smile: Morrisons was my second interview, first job so I was pretty inexperienced also. I expected to be asked typical interview questions such as "Why do you want to work for us?" and "What will make you good for the job?" etc etc but I wasn't asked anything like that. My interview was just like a big informal chat about the answers I'd written on the application form and more information about the job. :smile:

I think black trousers are a good idea because look smart. I wore black trousers with a plain white gypsy top and black shoes.

Good luck with your interview. :biggrin: Remember to arrive about 10-15 minutes early and bring all the documentation and photocopies that you need to bring. :wink:

So glad someone answered, thank you!

Ah that's good then, I hope mines like that :tongue: don't want strict questions haha. Looking forward to it in a way, want a job so bad :tongue:

Ah fab, thanks ill definitely get some! :smile:

I will do! The woman said she's gonna send me a letter out with everything I need to bring. But she did mention photocopies; what are they actually for? I have to take a copy of my passport and my NI number :smile:
So glad someone answered, thank you!

Ah that's good then, I hope mines like that :tongue: don't want strict questions haha. Looking forward to it in a way, want a job so bad :tongue:

Ah fab, thanks ill definitely get some! :smile:

I will do! The woman said she's gonna send me a letter out with everything I need to bring. But she did mention photocopies; what are they actually for? I have to take a copy of my passport and my NI number :smile:

I don't know tbh! :p: I think they just want photocopies so they know that you're eligible to work in the UK and know that you've not lied about your details/qualifications etc. Plus, they need photocopies since they obviously can't keep the originals. :wink: I took both the photocopies and the originals with me just so they could see them and they kept the photocopies. :smile:
Reply 5
I don't know tbh! :p: I think they just want photocopies so they know that you're eligible to work in the UK and know that you've not lied about your details/qualifications etc. Plus, they need photocopies since they obviously can't keep the originals. :wink: I took both the photocopies and the originals with me just so they could see them and they kept the photocopies. :smile:

Yeah that's true :smile: do you have to take proof of qualifications? I just want this letter to come now so I can see what exactly they want from me haha :tongue:

Hopefully I'll get the job :biggrin:
Reply 6
Its very informal with questions about what you are doing or have done education wise, how far away do you live, do you have a car, what is your flexibility.
There are no 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time' or about why you want to work for Morrisons.

You should wear something reasonably smart, they will be give a shirt, apron, jacket if needs be but you need your own black shoes and trousers. You can wear long skirts if you are a woman, they might be ok on the checkouts but i would suggest trousers instead.

Try to keep makeup to and jewelry to a reasonable level, so not 10 rings and 10 bracelets. Some managers will ask you take makeup or jewelry off if you have too much on in their opinion.

When at the interview, look if you can see the uniform guide, it tells you what you are expected to wear in much more detail. ( in my store its next to a big mirror)
Reply 7
Original post by united2000
Its very informal with questions about what you are doing or have done education wise, how far away do you live, do you have a car, what is your flexibility.
There are no 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time' or about why you want to work for Morrisons.

You should wear something reasonably smart, they will be give a shirt, apron, jacket if needs be but you need your own black shoes and trousers. You can wear long skirts if you are a woman, they might be ok on the checkouts but i would suggest trousers instead.

Try to keep makeup to and jewelry to a reasonable level, so not 10 rings and 10 bracelets. Some managers will ask you take makeup or jewelry off if you have too much on in their opinion.

When at the interview, look if you can see the uniform guide, it tells you what you are expected to wear in much more detail. ( in my store its next to a big mirror)

Ah thank you! Feel better that it's more of an informal interview :smile: Sounds like a reasonably straight forward interview.

Yeah I'd definitely wear trousers if I got the job!:smile: I only ever wear one ring, but it would be no big deal not wearing it for work, only wear bracelets and that when I'm going out as well.

Ooh okay I'll keep an eye out for that! Thanks so much :smile:
Yeah that's true :smile: do you have to take proof of qualifications? I just want this letter to come now so I can see what exactly they want from me haha :tongue:

Hopefully I'll get the job :biggrin:

Yeah I was asked to bring proof of my qualifications. Do you know which department the job is for?

About the uniform/jewellery thing, if you get the job you will receive your uniform during your induction/training days. As for jewellery, if you are working in checkouts or grocery (shop floor) you are allowed to wear one plain ring and one stone ring (so like an engagement ting and a plain wedding ring) but if you are working with and preparing food, you are only allowed one plain ring (i.e. just a wedding ring or similar). As for make-up as long as you don't over do it then you should be fine. I wear powder, eyeshadow, mascara and lipgloss and occassionally eye liner and thats ok. :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah I was asked to bring proof of my qualifications. Do you know which department the job is for?

About the uniform/jewellery thing, if you get the job you will receive your uniform during your induction/training days. As for jewellery, if you are working in checkouts or grocery (shop floor) you are allowed to wear one plain ring and one stone ring (so like an engagement ting and a plain wedding ring) but if you are working with and preparing food, you are only allowed one plain ring (i.e. just a wedding ring or similar). As for make-up as long as you don't over do it then you should be fine. I wear powder, eyeshadow, mascara and lipgloss and occassionally eye liner and thats ok. :smile:

Ooh okay :smile: I'm sure it'll say in the letter which will probably come tomorrow :smile: and I think it's mostly checkouts and general shop floor work :smile:

Ah okay, my ring has a stone but I'm not bothered if I get told to not to wear it :tongue:. yeah I don't really wear make up, just mascara and lipgloss so I'll be fine there :tongue:
Had my interview for checkouts last night, just waiting to hear now!
Don't think I'll get it though, the other 2 applicants were shown around the checkout area after their interview but I wasn't so I'm guessing the job is going to the others:frown:
Reply 11
Original post by breakeven
Had my interview for checkouts last night, just waiting to hear now!
Don't think I'll get it though, the other 2 applicants were shown around the checkout area after their interview but I wasn't so I'm guessing the job is going to the others:frown:

Was it a group interview or single!? I hope it's single :tongue:. I think mine is checkouts, what was it like? Sorry for all the questions but I have no idea what to expect :tongue:
Was it a group interview or single!? I hope it's single :tongue:. I think mine is checkouts, what was it like? Sorry for all the questions but I have no idea what to expect :tongue:

We were interviewed separately.

She asked us about times in our lives when we had had to use our initiative, work as a team, come up with solutions etc.

I thought the usual 'why do you want to work for Morrisons' questions would come up so I was pretty much put on the spot for these questions.

the rest was just about how far away I live, what hours I could work, the pay, what the job included. And the documents I had to bring.

Good luck with your interview, it doesn't look like mine was successful but I wish you all the luck in the world! :smile:
Reply 13
We were interviewed separately.

She asked us about times in our lives when we had had to use our initiative, work as a team, come up with solutions etc.

I thought the usual 'why do you want to work for Morrisons' questions would come up so I was pretty much put on the spot for these questions.

the rest was just about how far away I live, what hours I could work, the pay, what the job included. And the documents I had to bring.

Good luck with your interview, it doesn't look like mine was successful but I wish you all the luck in the world! :smile:

Oh no I'm so bad at questions like that haha!! Thanks though, I'll have a think and try to prepare some sort of reasonably decent answers.

I'm glad the generic questions aren't gonna come up then, I feel like you have to do a large amount of ass licking to answer those!

Ah that bit sounds okay then! Filled in my security check form before ready :frown:

Thank you so much :smile:. Good luck to you too, you never know! :biggrin:
Oh no I'm so bad at questions like that haha!! Thanks though, I'll have a think and try to prepare some sort of reasonably decent answers.

I'm glad the generic questions aren't gonna come up then, I feel like you have to do a large amount of ass licking to answer those!

Ah that bit sounds okay then! Filled in my security check form before ready :frown:

Thank you so much :smile:. Good luck to you too, you never know! :biggrin:

Think of times maybe at school or college that you've had to use the kind of skills they ask you about, you should be fine. They asked me when I had to provide customer service and selling skills, considering I've never had a job before all I could say was at a car boot sale ha!

Good luck again, and thanks! I'm keeping my phone with me at all times and avidly waiting for the postman just in case!
Reply 15
Think of times maybe at school or college that you've had to use the kind of skills they ask you about, you should be fine. They asked me when I had to provide customer service and selling skills, considering I've never had a job before all I could say was at a car boot sale ha!

Good luck again, and thanks! I'm keeping my phone with me at all times and avidly waiting for the postman just in case!

I'll have a think over the next few days :tongue:. Omg I'd never of thought about the car boot thing! I've done a few of those, I'm gonna rob that idea :wink:

Thank you!! And definitely do that! :biggrin:
I'll have a think over the next few days :tongue:. Omg I'd never of thought about the car boot thing! I've done a few of those, I'm gonna rob that idea :wink:

Thank you!! And definitely do that! :biggrin:

Great news, I just got a letter in the post that says I got the job!
Now just hoping you get yours!
Reply 17
Great news, I just got a letter in the post that says I got the job!
Now just hoping you get yours!

Omg! Made up for you, see! Knew itd be fine :wink: must of not shown you te tills because they were confident with you! :biggrin:

Ah I hope so too, not long til my interview now!
Reply 18
Not feeling all that good about that interview. :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Not feeling all that good about that interview. :s-smilie:

Try not to worry too much, I worked at Morrisons when I was at college but had an awful interview... I actually forgot to take all my documents with me and had to ring my mum to pick them up for me!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending