The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moleymann
Is the fresher's fee not just added on to our first term's rent bill? I thought it was paying to extend our accommodation for those extra few days before term starts, to take into account freshers fortnight.

All correct! All freshers' events are covered by hall subs.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1481
Is the fresher's fee not just added on to our first term's rent bill? I thought it was paying to extend our accommodation for those extra few days before term starts, to take into account freshers fortnight.

Original post by thenickoftime

Oops, my bad :smile: I must have mis-read/mis-interpreted it somewhere else, sorry!:colondollar:
Reply 1482

So how do I pay for my hall sub? And do i not need to worry about my freshers fee for now then? It automatically comes under first months rent?

Freshers events organised by your hall are covered by it. Anything organised by the union is paid for separately.

Original post by cazah
So how do I pay for my hall sub? And do i not need to worry about my freshers fee for now then? It automatically comes under first months rent?

You pay your hall sub when you get there.

And yes, freshers fee is added onto your rent and covers the extra few days in halls :yes:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 1484
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Freshers events organised by your hall are covered by it. Anything organised by the union is paid for separately.

You pay your hall sub when you get there.

And yes, freshers fee is added onto your rent and covers the extra few days in halls :yes:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Oh ok so i dont have to worry about it for now? Is it with cash? lol
Original post by cazah
Oh ok so i dont have to worry about it for now? Is it with cash? lol

Hall sub is cash or cheque, I believe :yep: If you've got cash then paying it when you get there is probably the easiest option.
Reply 1486
Is there just one toilet and one shower between the 6 students on each floor In the village court?
Hi, just wondering where I can get a comprehensive list of things to take to Harry French? What comes with the room by default, and what to we need to acquire?
Original post by Village Whisper
I think you can still change it if you want, but I guess it depends on where you're coming from and stuff. I've gone for 11-12. I don't want to be the first there because I'd be really nervous by the time the next person arrived, but I don't want to be the last one either...So I went for somewhere in the middle :tongue: It'd be good to have a couple of other people there first, I think. Then again, I might still be the first...Oh well!

Are you getting a Platinum/Extra card by the way? I still can't decide.

I really didn't think it through, I just wanted to get there early so I could get my stuff sorted earlier xD Argh I don't know, I mean I was thinking about it but then in the end I decided not to 'cause I really couldn't be bothered to fill out more forms and I doubt I was going to go to every single event they mentioned :P

Btw have you got your address for the halls yet or do they give it to you on your arrival (I mean you kind of need it for the medical forms they sent so I'm kinda confused D:wink:
You'll be in lodges then! They are the best place to be of all the halls. You'll have a washing machine in your kitchen, a bath in one of your 2 bathrooms and a really really nice courtyard surrounded by trees and Victorian Villas.

Also, if you're in Cedar, it'll be even better. I was in room 8 last year.

That actually sounds brilliant! Aha it was actually your post on Harry French a couple of months back that pushed me to pick it, you made it sounds great :P What're the freshers like in Harry French btw? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rockchickm
I really didn't think it through, I just wanted to get there early so I could get my stuff sorted earlier xD Argh I don't know, I mean I was thinking about it but then in the end I decided not to 'cause I really couldn't be bothered to fill out more forms and I doubt I was going to go to every single event they mentioned :P

Btw have you got your address for the halls yet or do they give it to you on your arrival (I mean you kind of need it for the medical forms they sent so I'm kinda confused D:wink:

Yeah I was kinda thinking that too...If I went for an afternoon time I think I'd be waaay too stressed by the time I got there :tongue: It'll be good to hopefully have a look around before everyone gets there, too.

I still don't know whether to get one! A few days ago I decided I would but I was doing stuff so I couldn't get it straight away, but now I can buy it I'm not sure I should. The queue jump and free entry/drinks offers are all good, but I'm just not sure how often I'll be going to the union and the card's not exactly cheap. If I don't get it though, I might not manage to get a freshers ball ticket and I've just bought my dress :frown:

No I haven't got my address, apparently everyone gets their room/flat/block number on arrival. I don't get how anyone can send the medical forms off before they get there, unless they're living in a house or something. It said that you can take it to the medical centre when you get there though...Imagine the queue!
Reply 1491
I still don't know whether to get one! A few days ago I decided I would but I was doing stuff so I couldn't get it straight away, but now I can buy it I'm not sure I should. The queue jump and free entry/drinks offers are all good, but I'm just not sure how often I'll be going to the union and the card's not exactly cheap. If I don't get it though, I might not manage to get a freshers ball ticket and I've just bought my dress :frown:
!

This is me too, exactly. Oh, except for the dress bit, 'cos I'm a guy and that would just be weird... :wink: I've already spent so much on hall subs, freshers ticket and driving license (for ID) that I'm not sure I want to add any more significant cost... I definitely want to go to the freshers ball though, so I'm also kinda worried about not being able to get a ticket.. :s-smilie: Anyone know how/when/where we can get one, if we don't get platinum?

No I haven't got my address, apparently everyone gets their room/flat/block number on arrival. I don't get how anyone can send the medical forms off before they get there, unless they're living in a house or something. It said that you can take it to the medical centre when you get there though...Imagine the queue!

Yeah, we don't get the flat number til we get there, but I *think* that our address will just be (Name),(Hall),(Uni Address), and then we just collect post from pigeon-holes rather than it be delivered to our flat, so I guess we could put that on the medical forms... I've just left mine for now though, won't be too difficult to sort when we get there, plus it might give a chance to get to know flatmates if we all have to go hunt down the med centre (and probably get lost) together :biggrin:
Original post by Xenite
This is me too, exactly. Oh, except for the dress bit, 'cos I'm a guy and that would just be weird... :wink: I've already spent so much on hall subs, freshers ticket and driving license (for ID) that I'm not sure I want to add any more significant cost... I definitely want to go to the freshers ball though, so I'm also kinda worried about not being able to get a ticket.. :s-smilie: Anyone know how/when/where we can get one, if we don't get platinum?

Yeah, we don't get the flat number til we get there, but I *think* that our address will just be (Name),(Hall),(Uni Address), and then we just collect post from pigeon-holes rather than it be delivered to our flat, so I guess we could put that on the medical forms... I've just left mine for now though, won't be too difficult to sort when we get there, plus it might give a chance to get to know flatmates if we all have to go hunt down the med centre (and probably get lost) together :biggrin:

Haha, it would be a bit :tongue: I think for Harry French the freshers ticket is included in the hall subs, but it's still £70 and it'd be £209 with Platinum Extra. I haven't had to get a provisional license or anything (already got a full license), but I've been spending quite a lot on clothes and general stuff so I still feel like I've spent loads. I'm waiting for someone to reply to your freshers ball ticket question, though!

Yeah I think there'll be pigeon holes too, but I guess it might vary hall to hall. I'm waiting 'til I get there as well, though, and I was thinking the same thing about going with flatmates :smile:
All of the halls have pigeon holes by surnames - it will always be name/hall/university address as stated =)

The freshers ticket and freshers ball ticket are different. Freshers ticket is basically all of the things that your hall puts on, like random nights out and day trips and yes that's included in just the hall subs - freshers automatically pay extra and you have to buy your subs through lufbra.net

The ball ticket is for just the ball. You'll soon find that the students union use the whole "omg tickets are going to sell out in seconds you HAVE to buy now" type thing - but it's never the case. With the Grad Ball, they said that tickets had to be bought on a certain day, after a certain time and were super like "omg tickets are going to be super hard to get" - then there were emails saying "oh some of you have said you were so disappointed missing out - so second chance".... then another saying "uhm don't get forget that you can bring friends, non graduates and non students to the ball so buy tickets now". In the end they were still available on the night. If you want a ticket, you'll be able to buy one. The people that generally miss out are the people that don't actively attempt to get a ticket until the day before.

The exception to the rule is for the Sno annual winter trip ... those tickets genuinely sell out within hours of it opening at midnight. It's an awesome trip that I'd really recommend to even people who have never skii'd or snowboarded before.... but yeah, those tickets do sell out super quick (even then they have a small second chance opportunity for really keen people).
Yeah I was kinda thinking that too...If I went for an afternoon time I think I'd be waaay too stressed by the time I got there :tongue: It'll be good to hopefully have a look around before everyone gets there, too.

:O You brought a dress for the freshers ball already?! Oh my god I haven't even thought about that yet xD Hm I just felt like it was a lot of money and I wasn't really sure if I'd go to all their events (apart from the freshers ball).
Original post by Diminutive
All of the halls have pigeon holes by surnames - it will always be name/hall/university address as stated =)

The freshers ticket and freshers ball ticket are different. Freshers ticket is basically all of the things that your hall puts on, like random nights out and day trips and yes that's included in just the hall subs - freshers automatically pay extra and you have to buy your subs through lufbra.net

The ball ticket is for just the ball. You'll soon find that the students union use the whole "omg tickets are going to sell out in seconds you HAVE to buy now" type thing - but it's never the case. With the Grad Ball, they said that tickets had to be bought on a certain day, after a certain time and were super like "omg tickets are going to be super hard to get" - then there were emails saying "oh some of you have said you were so disappointed missing out - so second chance".... then another saying "uhm don't get forget that you can bring friends, non graduates and non students to the ball so buy tickets now". In the end they were still available on the night. If you want a ticket, you'll be able to buy one. The people that generally miss out are the people that don't actively attempt to get a ticket until the day before.

The exception to the rule is for the Sno annual winter trip ... those tickets genuinely sell out within hours of it opening at midnight. It's an awesome trip that I'd really recommend to even people who have never skii'd or snowboarded before.... but yeah, those tickets do sell out super quick (even then they have a small second chance opportunity for really keen people).

Do you know when we can buy freshers ball tickets/how fast they sell out? :smile:
:O You brought a dress for the freshers ball already?! Oh my god I haven't even thought about that yet xD Hm I just felt like it was a lot of money and I wasn't really sure if I'd go to all their events (apart from the freshers ball).

Haha yeah I have, it was on ASOS and I finally found a 10% off discount code so I bought it :tongue: It hasn't arrived yet though, so it might have to go back. I'm not really sure what kind of dresses the girls normally wear though, so hopefully it's okay if it fits. But yeah, that supposed £325 saving would mean you'd been to every night/event all year, and I know I won't be doing that. As long as I'm not the only one without it, I think it should be alright.
Reply 1497
I think I'll pass on the platinum card, I'm not planning on going to every event so it wouldn't really be worth it. I'm arriving during the 2-3pm slot - lucky my bother's got the day off on the 27th, otherwise I would have to come in the evening with dad and literally be the last person to arrive! Does anyone know what kind of fancy dress events are on? I was wondering what sort of materials and stuff would be useful to take.
Haha yeah I have, it was on ASOS and I finally found a 10% off discount code so I bought it :tongue: It hasn't arrived yet though, so it might have to go back. I'm not really sure what kind of dresses the girls normally wear though, so hopefully it's okay if it fits. But yeah, that supposed £325 saving would mean you'd been to every night/event all year, and I know I won't be doing that. As long as I'm not the only one without it, I think it should be alright.

Ooh what does it look like? Gah I think I might go shopping tomorrow for one and see if there are any nice dresses around. Dw I reckon there'll be quite a lot of people without it.

So I don't know if you've told me already but what course are you doing? :smile:
Ooh what does it look like? Gah I think I might go shopping tomorrow for one and see if there are any nice dresses around. Dw I reckon there'll be quite a lot of people without it.

So I don't know if you've told me already but what course are you doing? :smile:

It's kind of a black lace short sleeve skater-style dress with a see-through lacey top/back bit. It arrived this morning and I think I'll keep it, but I might take it in a bit at the top. But yeah, you should go have a look, dress shopping's fun :tongue:

I'm doing Fine Art, what about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending