The Student Room Group

CGP Revision guides for A-Level?

Hi there, this question is to anyone that sat GCSE papers (preferably science) and used CGP Revision guides and then took on the subject at A-Level. How helpful can the CGP books be for science A-Level? For me at GCSE the CGP books contained EVERYTHING you needed to know nothing more and nothing less, but is this the same for the A-Level books? I obviously will be doing a ton of past papers but would the CGP revision books for science be enough to do them? For example, Biology is mostly memorizing key info and I find that the revision books help for this as it is basically the text book but with only the key notes you need.

here are examples of CGP revision guides below, and as you see they cover ONLY the spec and nothing more -

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/productDetail.asp?book=PER52

click see inside and read the summary.
Reply 1
bump
I used them at GCSE and then A-level for biology, chemistry and physics. I found they were just as perfect for me as they were during my GCSE years! If you found them useful before, carry on using them - if it ain't broke don't fix it! :tongue:
Reply 3
Personally, I didn't think much of the CGP guides for A level physics, chemistry and biology. I think it depends on what kind of grade you're aiming for. If you want the bare minimum facts, or to use just before an exam, then they're okay. However, if you're aiming for A/B grades then I would really recommend using the textbook to revise. The revision guides just don't go into enough depth. Especially for biology. There are so many tiny details in biology that horrible examiners could decide they want to drag a whole essay question out of! :angry:

I basically just learnt the textbook for each of my sciences (making sure I definitely understood everything) and it seemed to work :smile:

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by spoinkytheduck
I used them at GCSE and then A-level for biology, chemistry and physics. I found they were just as perfect for me as they were during my GCSE years! If you found them useful before, carry on using them - if it ain't broke don't fix it! :tongue:

Original post by Meg94
Personally, I didn't think much of the CGP guides for A level physics, chemistry and biology. I think it depends on what kind of grade you're aiming for. If you want the bare minimum facts, or to use just before an exam, then they're okay. However, if you're aiming for A/B grades then I would really recommend using the textbook to revise. The revision guides just don't go into enough depth. Especially for biology. There are so many tiny details in biology that horrible examiners could decide they want to drag a whole essay question out of!

I basically just learnt the textbook for each of my sciences (making sure I definitely understood everything) and it seemed to work

Hope this helps.

Yeah I mean, they can be very good at cutting out all of the stuff that you don't need as it only follows the spec and they have different books for every exam board. 50 pages a unit compared to 120 pages a unit (other textbooks) is pretty neat. Aswell as CGP books and past papers and even other textbooks and your own notes I think it would be worth using it.
Reply 5

Also what exam board were you for GCSE science and A-Level sciences?
Original post by Loiks94
Also what exam board were you for GCSE science and A-Level sciences?

I was AQA throughout :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
I was AQA throughout :smile:

oo I was AQA at GCSE and now am OCR will this make a difference? as long as I get the OCR spec cgp book it shouldn't right?
Original post by Loiks94
oo I was AQA at GCSE and now am OCR will this make a difference? as long as I get the OCR spec cgp book it shouldn't right?

I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference, the books for different boards only differ by a few pages I think :smile:

Hello!

I'm doing my A-level IAL Edexcel in Biology and Chemistry. Will the revision guide be enough for chemistry? I've never used them before.
and please, can anyone recommend a good textbook for biology and/or chemistry? I've used Ann Fullick for both chemistry and biology AS. I honestly didnt like the chemistry book, but biology was pretty good.

thanks! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest