The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tuvok1153
I do some further reading now - I was reading a pathology revision book aged 13.

Also, I am always interested in reading scientific books. Could you recommend any?

Also, I am usually to far away from public lectures to attend them so do you think the iTunes U lectures would be good? I watch the neuroscience ones and basically any other science ones.

If you want to read something relevant:

Essential Cell Biology by Alberts et Al. Contains the basics of the MIMS course and is an easy read.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by The Mr Z
GCSE barely comes into consideration, it's not a requirement. AS (and A2 if applicable) results are what count.

However the average will be quite high simply because people who have A*s at A2 would normally have managed several at GCSE!

RS is not considered "weak" if taken with a high ethics component - that is actually highly useful for a medic applicant, and it's not hard to relate all the course content to medicine, patients' religious views are a substantial concern.

However 3 science and maths is the usual approach. It's not required, dropping one science (especially physics) would not place you at a substantial disadvantage (but maths and biology are absolute requirements), but most applicants will have taken that route.

If you can take 5AS and 4A2 then taking the RS (either AS or A2) would be acceptable.

What about English Lit instead of Maths?

If you take English Lit instead of maths, you really may as well just take the three sciences. Maths and chemistry are the subjects common across every single medic I know, I think you should just do maths. Further maths isn't needed but you do need to be able to derive formulas, understand exponential differentiation clearly and other mathematical concepts not covered at GCSE.

As Hypocrism says, GCSE maths will not cut it at uni and if you haven't done A2 maths you will really struggle to keep up. You can take English Lit, but you'd be better dropping one of the other subjects. Also keep in mind that you really ought to have 2 sciences and maths for a strong application.

You can take 5 AS and 4 A2s without stretching yourself too far, if you're willing to put the work in, so don't feel you have to drop a science subject if you still want to do an essay subject. However Cambridge only look at your 3/4 most relevant AS subjects (ie sciences and maths) when judging applications, so taking English Lit would be purely for enjoyment and would not aid your application at all.
I must say "on paper" (website, photos, clubs, location, success) Emma looks absolutely incredible. If I had to make a decision now I know what I'd go with...

I'm going up on the Thursday Open day (going up tomorrow because Cambridge is a 7 hour drive), I'm going to have a look around Emmanuel first thing :biggrin: I'm so excited :ahee:
Original post by Llewellyn
I must say "on paper" (website, photos, clubs, location, success) Emma looks absolutely incredible. If I had to make a decision now I know what I'd go with...

I'm going up on the Thursday Open day (going up tomorrow because Cambridge is a 7 hour drive), I'm going to have a look around Emmanuel first thing :biggrin: I'm so excited :ahee:

Hope you enjoy the open day and have a good look around Emma. It's a fantastic college and superbly positioned!
Glad to see this thread looking so loved!
hellooo, this is probably way too early, but I've applied for Emmanuel and I'm really hoping to get in :biggrin:
Original post by wavelength19
hellooo, this is probably way too early, but I've applied for Emmanuel and I'm really hoping to get in :biggrin:

Are applications even open yet?
Are applications even open yet?

Yup, just sent off my UCAS today! I'm a (prospective) international student from sunny Singapore :smile: so I got a earlier deadline.
Can you send me some pictures about the new accommodations which photos aren't here. Is it possible to get them as a first year accomodation?
Original post by labu01wx
Can you send me some pictures about the new accommodations which photos aren't here. Is it possible to get them as a first year accomodation?

Perhaps, even if they are made available to first years it'll depend on how lucky you are as it'll still probably be randomly allocated although you can specify you would prefer a more expensive room. There are no photos because it's still a building site.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by labu01wx

Yeah, can take a pic tomorrow. Word of warning- it'll just be scaffolding and a crane. :tongue:

Won't be ready until August.

We don't know how they'll be used, but we suspect they'll be for 2nd and 3rd years as the current 1st year accommodation is sufficient for the entire year and all on-site, whereas the 2nd and 3rd year accommodation includes some off-site rooms they want to bring back on-site.
Yeah, can take a pic tomorrow. Word of warning- it'll just be scaffolding and a crane. :tongue:

Won't be ready until August.

We don't know how they'll be used, but we suspect they'll be for 2nd and 3rd years as the current 1st year accommodation is sufficient for the entire year and all on-site, whereas the 2nd and 3rd year accommodation includes some off-site rooms they want to bring back on-site.

I think the idea for next year is to have freshers in new SC and that will make room to renovate T! And long-term to sell off all off-college accommodation.
Hey guys, I'm considering to apply for Engineering at this college.. Can anyone in this college advise me (those who've done Engineering/doing it) if anyone who's already been through this experience tell me a bit about how they remember the interviews, what the college was like for the subject, and the feeling in the college in general please?

Thanks, much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1655
Original post by wavelength19
Yup, just sent off my UCAS today! I'm a (prospective) international student from sunny Singapore :smile: so I got a earlier deadline.

Hey there. I will be applying as an international student as well and I wanted to ask you a question. Is it true that international students have their interviews by phone or skype? Hope you know the answer.
Thank you in advance and good luck. :smile:
Original post by anna1989
Hey there. I will be applying as an international student as well and I wanted to ask you a question. Is it true that international students have their interviews by phone or skype? Hope you know the answer.
Thank you in advance and good luck. :smile:

No normally you should go to Cambridge to have your interview. You may apply to be interviewed face-to-face overseas in select countries (Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Pakistan and Singapore) but that has an earlier deadline. If you really cannot go to a face-to-face interview then you may ask your college whether they could conduct it over the phone. However not all colleges allow this and they might forward your application to another college if they don't. Beware that being interviewed over the phone will likely not show your full potential or and it would depend on a greater degree of luck whether that single interviewer likes you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37
No normally you should go to Cambridge to have your interview. You may apply to be interviewed face-to-face overseas in select countries (Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Pakistan and Singapore) but that has an earlier deadline. If you really cannot go to a face-to-face interview then you may ask your college whether they could conduct it over the phone. However not all colleges allow this and they might forward your application to another college if they don't. Beware that being interviewed over the phone will likely not show your full potential or and it would depend on a greater degree of luck whether that single interviewer likes you.

I think she may be asking specifically about Emma.
Reply 1658
I think she may be asking specifically about Emma.

First of all thank you for answering.
Well I was actually asking about Emma. I think that it will be a good college for me ( if I get a place of course :biggrin: ).
I heard that one can have an online interview at British Embassy or British Council. We do have these both in my country, so it is perfect for me.
If you know any site or somebody who is aware of this ,please, let me know.
I will be grateful.
Original post by anna1989
First of all thank you for answering.
Well I was actually asking about Emma. I think that it will be a good college for me ( if I get a place of course :biggrin: ).
I heard that one can have an online interview at British Embassy or British Council. We do have these both in my country, so it is perfect for me.
If you know any site or somebody who is aware of this ,please, let me know.
I will be grateful.

Where are you from? I've had my interview face-to-face and I can't say it went fantastically :/ But I'm still hoping for tgr best though! If you're unsure of the admission process for Emma in your country you should definitely email Emma to ask!

Latest

Trending

Trending