The Student Room Group

Vein/nerve 'pop' during overhead press

Hi, I can't do an overhead press without my vein/nerve feeling like its going to 'pop' out of place, feels like an electrical jolt from my wrist near the thumb and shooting down the forearm. This only happens when i am bringing the bar down and it forces me to rack the bar back but i don't feel any pain. It only occurs on my right wrist and i've tried keeping my wrist straight and inline with my forearm but it still happens. I tried using wrist wraps but this just moved the 'popping' sensation down my forearm. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Dack2Wack

Hi, I can't do an overhead press without my vein/nerve feeling like its going to 'pop' out of place, feels like an electrical jolt from my wrist near the thumb and shooting down the forearm. This only happens when i am bringing the bar down and it forces me to rack the bar back but i don't feel any pain. It only occurs on my right wrist and i've tried keeping my wrist straight and inline with my forearm but it still happens. I tried using wrist wraps but this just moved the 'popping' sensation down my forearm. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Where do you hold the bar? I believe it should be as low as possible in your palm.

Edit: try

The same grip principles apply to ohp as they do bench.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can you describe it a different way? I really don't think you're describing it correctly as a nerve/vein can't "pop" out of place as they're not really held in place. If it feels like an electrical jolt down your arm it may be carpal tunnel/RTS on your median nerve. Is it just OHPing that causes it pain?

How is your form? Forarms vertical with wrists in line? Thumb over grip?
Reply 3
Original post by tooosh
Where do you hold the bar? I believe it should be as low as possible in your palm.

Yeah i place the bar close to the heel of the palms with the forearms in line with the bar and it hasn't fixed it. The 'popping' sensation only occurs on my right wrist and not in my left so maybe i have more of a vein/nerve problem than form?
Reply 4
Original post by RollerBall
Can you describe it a different way? I really don't think you're describing it correctly as a nerve/vein can't "pop" out of place as they're not really held in place. If it feels like an electrical jolt down your arm it may be carpal tunnel/RTS on your median nerve. Is it just OHPing that causes it pain?

How is your form? Forarms vertical with wrists in line? Thumb over grip?

Yeah it's hard describe the feeling because the sensation doesn't last long and i don't feel it unless i am bringing the bar down from an overhead position. Best description i could give is that it feels like something twitches on my right wrist below my thumb, not directly below but it's inline with the thumb.

Yes, it's only from the OHP when i am bringing the bar down, i don't feel anything diting the bench press. I use the form described in SS 3rd edition so i don't use the suicide grip. I've made sure my forearms were inline with wrist and bar, elbows just in front of bar and bar resting on heels of palm. Hasn't fixed the problem though.
Reply 5
Yeah it's hard describe the feeling because the sensation doesn't last long and i don't feel it unless i am bringing the bar down from an overhead position. Best description i could give is that it feels like something twitches on my right wrist below my thumb, not directly below but it's inline with the thumb.

Yes, it's only from the OHP when i am bringing the bar down, i don't feel anything diting the bench press. I use the form described in SS 3rd edition so i don't use the suicide grip. I've made sure my forearms were inline with wrist and bar, elbows just in front of bar and bar resting on heels of palm. Hasn't fixed the problem though.

You're probably impinging your radial nerve a little. Try using the suicide grip for OHP and see if that stops it (don't do it when benching though for obvious reasons...).

*Advice is unprofessional. If concerned see GP/physio/someone not on an internet forum.
Reply 6
If its similar to hitting your funny bone, it's nerve entrapment. You might have a tendon that swells when you come down, pushing on the nerve and causing the sensation. Try doing the lift as your first action when lifting. If it doesn't occur at the start you might be having excess blood flow, swelling your arms.
Reply 7
Original post by Old School
You're probably impinging your radial nerve a little. Try using the suicide grip for OHP and see if that stops it (don't do it when benching though for obvious reasons...).

*Advice is unprofessional. If concerned see GP/physio/someone not on an internet forum.

Original post by Hypocrism
If its similar to hitting your funny bone, it's nerve entrapment. You might have a tendon that swells when you come down, pushing on the nerve and causing the sensation. Try doing the lift as your first action when lifting. If it doesn't occur at the start you might be having excess blood flow, swelling your arms.

Cheers for the advice, will be going to the GP on monday, just wanted to see if anyone else experienced something similar. The part in bold is exactly what it feels like and it still happens when i do the lift as my first action.
Reply 8
Cheers for the advice, will be going to the GP on monday, just wanted to see if anyone else experienced something similar. The part in bold is exactly what it feels like and it still happens when i do the lift as my first action.

Definitely sounds to be like nerve entrapment in that case. The GP will probably test sensation on the back of your arm in a few cases, but if it only happens when you exercise I'm nowhere near experienced enough to predict what the GP will do for you...
Reply 9
What did the GP tell you? I feel the same thing, but if I use a narrower grip, I don't feel it at all. Same arm, same thing; only on the way down.
Reply 10
Hi Jason, have you managed to get this sorted? I recently smashed my funny bone quite bad and since then i've been having nerve issues in my left elbow when doing OHP but only on the way down - just interested to know if you've managed to do anything about it?Thanks!
Original post by sldr
Hi Jason, have you managed to get this sorted? I recently smashed my funny bone quite bad and since then i've been having nerve issues in my left elbow when doing OHP but only on the way down - just interested to know if you've managed to do anything about it?Thanks!

This was 6 years ago

Where on your elbow is the popping?
Same of you. Narrow grip no problem. I went to a bad PT and treat me medial tendinopathy (because probably exist to) but the nerve problem persists
Original post by Jason28
What did the GP tell you? I feel the same thing, but if I use a narrower grip, I don't feel it at all. Same arm, same thing; only on the way d

Same of you. Treated previously of medial tendinopathy by PT but the nerve problem persists

Quick Reply

Latest