The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TopHat
Yeah, Amy is rapidly tiring on me. Initially, she was one of my favourite companions but she's definitely starting to outstay her welcome. I still stand by her being the best companion of the new series, just for how Season 5 went, but I don't think NuWho has really managed to get companions on the level of the old series yet; it's the one consistent weakness in NuWho compared to the older format.

Are you claiming that Martha was better than Amy and Rory?
Original post by Alofleicester
I'm not sure about that - certainly Rory was unnecessary, but I think they needed a companion there to help keep the Doctor in check at times.

I think Isaac could have filled that role in the same way Lindsay did in The Waters of Mars. Often I felt like Isaac and Amy were sharing the same purpose (a foil to the Doctor's violence) and that lessened the impact.
Original post by Bobifier
Are you claiming that Martha was better than Amy and Rory?

No? When did I say that? Martha was NuWho's worst companion. Her only redeeming role was the Family of Blood.
Original post by TopHat
No? When did I say that? Martha was NuWho's worst companion. Her only redeeming role was the Family of Blood.

You're referring to the companions before Dr Who was re-booted with Eccleston aren't you?

As far as companions go for me personally Amy is the best so far... I never really liked Rose, Martha or Donna (Well... Donna was ok actually...)
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
You're referring to the companions before Dr Who was re-booted with Eccleston aren't you?

Yes. We've not had a Sarah Jane Smith or Leela or Susan or McCrimmon yet; in terms of companions who really have a great impact (imo, anyway). Amy was the closest but she still remains fairly one-dimensional at times.

EDIT: Out of the NuWho bunch, I'd say (Rory) > Amy > Donna > (River Song) > Rose > (Captain Jack) > Martha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TopHat
Yes. We've not had a Sarah Jane Smith or Leela or Susan or McCrimmon yet; in terms of companions who really have a great impact (imo, anyway). Amy was the closest but she still remains fairly one-dimensional at times.

I've never really seen the old Whos, so I'm not really able to comment on the old companions haha :smile: I agree about Amy though - she's good, but when you think about her throughout all the series she's done, she just doesn't seem to have changed much - perhaps I'm just imagining it though.

If there's one companion that I will be glad to see go though, it's River Song... pretty much any story she's involved in is often quite convoluted, and I hate her flirting... the character just annoys me in general. I'm hoping though, with the departure of Amy and Rory we'll see her departure too quite soon. She's already been killed off I know (from the Silence in the Library double back in the Tennant era), and they've covered her beginning (as Amy and Rory's child and her subsequent attempt on the Doctor's life) now all we've got to do is the middle bit and we can finally bid her goodbye... and not a moment too soon either.
I think River Song was good in her first few appearances, but ultimately was used terribly inflexibly as a character and always ended up being written the same when certain stories should have demanded very different sides to her. The best characters develop, River Song never did. She's now reached the point I am utterly tired of her, and I really don't want to see her again. That said, I think she still needs to be remembered at least as a moderately good companion for her occasional strong episodes (Silence in the Library, Day of the Moon), but no more.
Did anyone else think the barmaid looked like River Song? I kept thinking it was her standing in the background.
Reply 8588
Original post by TopHat
I think River Song was good in her first few appearances, but ultimately was used terribly inflexibly as a character and always ended up being written the same when certain stories should have demanded very different sides to her. The best characters develop, River Song never did. She's now reached the point I am utterly tired of her, and I really don't want to see her again. That said, I think she still needs to be remembered at least as a moderately good companion for her occasional strong episodes (Silence in the Library, Day of the Moon), but no more.

This. I liked her when she first appeared in Silence in the Library/ Forest of the Dead but after that...meh. I don't feel like she's developed much and I just find her Mary Sue-ish and yeah.

ANYWAY.

I liked tonight's episode! I've been refraining from criticising them too much because, after a while, criticising them is just SO tiring. x_x

By the way, is anybody on this thread going to Middlesex uni in October because I'd like to meet people who actually like the same things as I do
Original post by Feefifofum
Did anyone else think the barmaid looked like River Song? I kept thinking it was her standing in the background.
It's not just you, I thought that when she was in the bar at the beginning. :biggrin:

Original post by Pandora.
It's not just you, I thought that when she was in the bar at the beginning. :biggrin:

I did too. I was eating my dinner, had a glance, and was like: :eek:

River Song return date:

Spoiler

Original post by lizolove
I did too. I was eating my dinner, had a glance, and was like: :eek:

River Song return date:

Spoiler

Pretty sure she's in

Spoiler

Original post by SirMasterKey
Pretty sure she's in

Spoiler

I may be wrong then! :tongue:

Spoiler

I may be wrong then! :tongue:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Christmas special isn't Episode 6 :tongue:
Original post by SirMasterKey
The Christmas special isn't Episode 6 :tongue:

...it isn't? There are five, then a break, then one at Christmas. Unless you're counting it as not part of the main series...?

Spoiler

Well I won't tell anyway because I know how tempting it is to ask and then regret it when you find out. So I'm keeping schtum! :p:
I loved her. Totally awesome character, even if her personality is along the same lines as all Moffat's women. Not sure yet about how she'd be as a companion rather than a one off companion, might get tired of the speed at which she speaks and her sassiness (we get it Moffatt, you like spunky women) but I'm certainly interested to see how she comes back.

What are people's thoughts on the teaser for ep 4? I thought it looked really, really interesting - it's the only episode that I know next to nothing about. Awesome that we'll get to see a bit more of the Ponds' life when they're not with the Doctor!
...it isn't? There are five, then a break, then one at Christmas. Unless you're counting it as not part of the main series...?

Well I won't tell anyway because I know how tempting it is to ask and then regret it when you find out. So I'm keeping schtum! :p:
I loved her. Totally awesome character, even if her personality is along the same lines as all Moffat's women. Not sure yet about how she'd be as a companion rather than a one off companion, might get tired of the speed at which she speaks and her sassiness (we get it Moffatt, you like spunky women) but I'm certainly interested to see how she comes back.

What are people's thoughts on the teaser for ep 4? I thought it looked really, really interesting - it's the only episode that I know next to nothing about. Awesome that we'll get to see a bit more of the Ponds' life when they're not with the Doctor!

To google or not to google, that is the question! :tongue:
Resisting the urge. :frown:

Yes! I thought Amy would be irreplaceable, but if she's anything like the character in episode 1, she'll be great! She's so loveable! I can see it working. :smile:
She does speak fast, it could get a bit irritating. Hopefully not though! :biggrin:

Episode 4?! God, don't. I am already gutted that we have 2 more episodes, then a wait for the Christmas one. Damn timing.
The teaser looks better than episode 2 and 3, but rather confusing. I didn't really understand what the 'monsters' were. I guess the suspense is good for the next episode though. :smile:
good episode :smile: was cool to see Ben Browder in Doctor Who :biggrin:
Reply 8599
Last nights episode was really enjoyable :smile: As another poster said, a little heavy handed but quality all the same.

I also agree that there was no need for Rory, which is true of most episodes. Amy was needed though, if only for the 'this is what happens when you're alone for too long' statement.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest