The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feefifofum
...it isn't? There are five, then a break, then one at Christmas. Unless you're counting it as not part of the main series...?

Yep I don't count it as part of the main series as the producers don't. Unless they now feel like ripping us off of episodes.
When did Toby Whitehouse join the writing team? As soon as I saw his name I knew it was going to be good :biggrin: Better than the other two episodes... but I do hate it that the doctor is getting more violent. When David Tennant was the doctor he despised violence :frown:
Original post by JordanS94
When did Toby Whitehouse join the writing team? As soon as I saw his name I knew it was going to be good :biggrin: Better than the other two episodes... but I do hate it that the doctor is getting more violent. When David Tennant was the doctor he despised violence :frown:

Whithouse has done a few episodes now.

To be fair Ecclestone was pretty violent until tamed by Rose.

I'm also not too sure I believe the Doctor is now 1200.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Whithouse has done a few episodes now.

To be fair Ecclestone was pretty violent until tamed by Rose.

I'm also not too sure I believe the Doctor is now 1200.

Wasn't he 1102 or something when he got shot?
Original post by + polarity -
Wasn't he 1102 or something when he got shot?

Well he 'said' he was. Doesn't make it true. The Doctor lies after all. I'm not too sure I can believe that he didn't in that time find someone else to travel with full time.

Of course it is true then he's surely the most long lived Doctor with 300 years now. Quite impressive really.
Yep I don't count it as part of the main series as the producers don't. Unless they now feel like ripping us off of episodes.

Fair enough. Usually I think of the Christmas eps as separate, because they've not been in the middle of a series before. This one is in the middle, and isn't separate from the main storylines (introduction of new companion), whereas usually they're standalone episodes, often with temporary companions who are only in it for that one episode...

Well he 'said' he was. Doesn't make it true. The Doctor lies after all. I'm not too sure I can believe that he didn't in that time find someone else to travel with full time.

Of course it is true then he's surely the most long lived Doctor with 300 years now. Quite impressive really.

You're right, the Doctor could have lied. He did know a lot of what River was talking about in the diary sync at the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut. Doesn't mean that he was as old as he said he was, but he is a good deal older and a good deal further along in his relationship with River...
Last night's episode felt disjointed to me, honestly preferred Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (although the lack of David Mitchell the robot was welcome.) Was anyone else bothered that the Doctor was all for killing the other doctor, but as soon as Amy stops him he is willing to lecture the town on how violence is wrong, and only leads to more violence? Also why did the town not point out to him that they were only trying to do what the Doctor himself was doing a few hours beforehand?
Liked the 1st episode. Not really liked episode 2 and 3. They don't seem to be flowing with each other. Which I guess is the point. But still don't like it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPa
Original post by **Toria**
Liked the 1st episode. Not really liked episode 2 and 3. They don't seem to be flowing with each other. Which I guess is the point. But still don't like it.

Good reason for that...

Spoiler

The episodes don't follow straight on from each other. There are large caps between them where the Doctor is travelling alone.
I know. That is why I don't like it.

I liked the concept around this story, as with most Doctor Who episodes, but the story was alright, as opposed to the dreadful Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. I liked the allusions to both Clint Eastwood and the Terminator though at least they took it somewhere new with the cyborg thing. It was funny when the cyborg suggested he should 'go out into the desert and explode' but it sort of reminded me of Clint Eastwood with him just vanishing. I agree there were too many characters, if Rory and Amy weren't there then I might've given a toss about Issac dying and Amy's line about being violent could've been given to the barmaid/she could've replaced her and would've made contextual sense because the Doctor would've arrived there alone. Plot device was interesting with Jenks as opposed to the lameness of Filch in the last one.
Last night's was my favourite so far! I loved the style and directing, and the music.
Original post by Imperial_Maniac
Once again Amy was bloody annoying, she needs to learn to shut her mouth.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Spoiler

The only third wheel character I've ever liked is Mickey Smith, get rid of Rory and Amy could, with good writing, come across a lot better. Like when it was just the Doctor and Martha.
Just watched the latest ep on ye old iPlayer - it was really good! The only bit that felt a bit off was Amy's "don't kill him" speech and that whole scene. It felt very forced imo. An ancient time lord should know better than a 25 (?) year old any day.

The episode before that was very much naff tbh - it was more like something they had to do eventually, rather than a proper episode... :/

The first however, was awesome! We need more episodes of the calibre of that and the last one.
Decent episode to be honest.
Guys, guys, the title sequence is getting darker every week!

Also lights have been flickering every episode, The Doctor changing the TARDIS bulb in Pond Life, Amy's dressing room light flickering in episode 1, Rory's dad fixing the light bulb in episode 2 and some flickering on the spaceship, and the lampposts sparking in episode 3. A sign the Angels are coming? :eek:
Didn't love it, didn't hate it...
Original post by Phobia27
Guys, guys, the title sequence is getting darker every week!

Also lights have been flickering every episode, The Doctor changing the TARDIS bulb in Pond Life, Amy's dressing room light flickering in episode 1, Rory's dad fixing the light bulb in episode 2 and some flickering on the spaceship, and the lampposts sparking in episode 3. A sign the Angels are coming? :eek:

Interesting! You could well be right. Also I never realised how they changed the texture on the Doctor Who title for each episode: dalek-ish, reptile, and gunshot wood. Pretty clever!
That was an average episode, the story seemed predictable and the ending was ..cheesy. Hope the next couple of episodes are phenomenal, which they must be as

Spoiler

Overall a ..mediocre episode, a few funny moments.
Original post by **Toria**

I understand what you mean. I guess the first was better though to draw people in, and obviously because more could be done with the first episode. I wish the newer episodes had more drama in them though. Lately I feel like the writers are running out of ideas and are throwing everything in there! :frown:

The first was so clever! :biggrin:

Latest