The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
Just finished watching Black Hawk Down for the first time. I feel strangely cold but very sad after watching it. I have never really had a long term emotional impact from a film but this has left me dazed for around 15 minutes now. The horror of it and the pointlessness hit me in a way it never would or could have when I was ~18. It is a strange feeling and has made me feel actually physically ill :confused:

Was it the cold and detached perspective on the loss of limb and life in a war? Have you watched Saving Private Ryan? It would evoke very similar feelings.

On a personal level, the films I've had prolonged emotional impacts from were probably Million Dollar Baby (the frailty of human life and how quickly/easily it can be snatched away) and American History X (the pointlessness of living a life filled with hate). Holocaust films tend to hit all the right notes too.
Reply 7521
Original post by Falcon91
I love that film, anyone know whatever happened to Tony Jaa? I saw Ong Bak and heard of its two sequels (though opinion wards me away from them). Thought he was going to be quite big at the time, shame there hasn't been a breakthough.

The latest I've heard of was Ong Bak 3 which I've stayed away from :p: He's a pretty talented guy after all, so hoping for something more :smile:
Original post by Arran44
And another Oscar contender has entered the field!

[video="youtube;qiSAbAuLhqs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbAuLhqs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

DDL has got the gold in the bag..everyone else nominated for Best Actor might aswell not write speeches.

you aint winnin' **** if Day-Lewis is on the bill.
Reply 7523
Reply 7524
Watching The Hunger Games tonight, hopefully I don't hate it as I thought the books were decent.
Original post by Deshi
Watching The Hunger Games tonight, hopefully I don't hate it as I thought the books were decent.

It's a good adaptation and manages to stay true to the book. I just wish they hadn't tried to preserve their rating at the expense of showing the violence/brutality of the Games. The audience at my cinema actually laughed at a pivotal death scene because it came across so ludicrously on screen. Had it been portrayed with more explicit and cold brutality than what the rating allowed, I think the reaction would have been more sober and shocked.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It's a good adaptation and manages to stay true to the book. I just wish they hadn't tried to preserve their rating at the expense of showing the violence/brutality of the Games. The audience at my cinema actually laughed at a pivotal death scene because it came across so ludicrously on screen. Had it been portrayed with more explicit and cold brutality than what the rating allowed, I think the reaction would have been more sober and shocked.

I've not seen it or read it but might be a similar situation to Harry Potter 6 with Ron and the poisoned drink. I knew what was happening when he collapsed and then people in the cinema with me laughed. It did quickly die when they realised just what was happening mind so might have been slightly an ignorance issue?
Reply 7527
Original post by SirMasterKey
I've not seen it or read it but might be a similar situation to Harry Potter 6 with Ron and the poisoned drink. I knew what was happening when he collapsed and then people in the cinema with me laughed. It did quickly die when they realised just what was happening mind so might have been slightly an ignorance issue?

I did think that the naked ghouls of Harry and Hermione were a little much for the age rating in Deathly Hallows pt.1. I don't even remember a similar thing happening in the books :confused:
Original post by SirMasterKey

I wouldn't say so. What happens in the Hunger Games is a very obvious death scene but the way it comes across; from memory, it was the way he got hit and fell backwards that caused the laughter and that made you lose the 'shock' impact of it and the scene afterwards.

I wouldn't blame the audience for laughing during the HP scene, the Half-Blood Prince is easily the most humorous entry in the series so the set-up of that scene may have misled viewers initially.

Original post by Mess.
I did think that the naked ghouls of Harry and Hermione were a little much for the age rating in Deathly Hallows pt.1. I don't even remember a similar thing happening in the books :confused:

IIRC, in the book it was said they came out of the locket and started embracing and kissing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Saw Total Recall at the cinema last week. I thought it had some good action sequences and a nice visual style, but its the epitome of the 'all flash no substance' Hollywood blockbuster. Colin Farrell also seemed to be quite wooden and didn't really display a great deal of emotion most of the time, but perhaps that was an intentional character trait.
Reply 7530
Hey, im new to this.... my fav film at the moment in rise of the planet of the apes, :biggrin: i really want to watch the avengers and hunger games, but ive read the hunger games books :colondollar: THEY ARE AMAZEBALLS! :eek:
Reply 7531
Original post by Sonia-D
Hey, im new to this.... my fav film at the moment in rise of the planet of the apes, :biggrin: i really want to watch the avengers and hunger games, but ive read the hunger games books :colondollar: THEY ARE AMAZEBALLS! :eek:

Welcome to TSR and the film forums! :smile: I did quite like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, thought it was a pretty good blockbuster effort. Have you seen the original series?
Reply 7532

Yeah that's always a problem with these kind of adaptations. On a separate note do you have any recommendation for dystopian novels? I've been tempted with The Maze Runner lately, have you read it?

Also watched Safe House the other day. The film was decent (6/10) but it was missing something. Too much action. Ryan Reynolds was decent but if it wasn't for Denzel the film would have been 4/10.
Original post by Deshi
Yeah that's always a problem with these kind of adaptations. On a separate note do you have any recommendation for dystopian novels? I've been tempted with The Maze Runner lately, have you read it?

I can't say I've heard of that book so it must be new. My exposure to dystopian fiction revolves around much earlier fiction from when I did my dissertation. Books like Zamyatin's We, Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, A Clockwork Orange, The Handmaid's Tale, Neuromancer and Logan's Run - if you're interested in reading any of them, they should be your first port of call in terms of dystopian literature.
Reply 7534
I can't say I've heard of that book so it must be new. My exposure to dystopian fiction revolves around much earlier fiction from when I did my dissertation. Books like Zamyatin's We, Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, A Clockwork Orange, The Handmaid's Tale, Neuromancer and Logan's Run - if you're interested in reading any of them, they should be your first port of call in terms of dystopian literature.

1984 has been on my to read list for a while, will have to give that a read soon (once I'm done reading the Harry Potter books)

Just finished The Hunger Games, thought it was pretty decent. Bit tired atm so will right my views in full tomorrow but the first things that come to mind...

Spoiler

Character development seemed a bit weak, if I hadn't read the books the whole Katniss/Peeta thing would seem really sappy. Peeta was one of my favourite characters in the book so I was annoyed that they didn't develop him much at all.

Casting was good, Jennifer Lawrence was awesome. Acting was pretty decent in general from the main cast.
Watching the hit list :biggrin:

Why haven't i heard of the film The hunger games?! Is it any good?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7536
Original post by MetropolisBoy

Why haven't i heard of the film The hunger games?! Is it any good?

I didn't particularly enjoy it but I haven't read the books which is kind of unfair because I've heard (as always), "the books are way better than the films".

It's like the film, 'Inkheart'; I adored the book, couldn't put it down for 3 days. But then the film was such a let down - it was terrible (although I do love Andy Serkis).
Reply 7537
Just watched The Truman Show. Some parts of it could have been handled better, but I really enjoyed it. :h:
Original post by Spicey
I didn't particularly enjoy it but I haven't read the books which is kind of unfair because I've heard (as always), "the books are way better than the films".

It's like the film, 'Inkheart'; I adored the book, couldn't put it down for 3 days. But then the film was such a let down - it was terrible (although I do love Andy Serkis).

I just read the plot for it, meh.. I think I am going to read the book instead:smile:
Nothing will ever trump Battle Royal :tongue:

Any great movies I can watch on Netflix? I just finished hit list which was sublime ! Great acting as usual by Cuba gooding junior:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7539
Original post by MetropolisBoy

Any great movies I can watch on Netflix? I just finished hit list which was sublime ! Great acting as usual by Cuba gooding junior:biggrin:

Yeah I love Cuba Gooding Jr., epecially in Jerry Maguire.

Have you seen '50 50'? I thoroughly enjoyed that. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is superb. I can't wait for 'Looper', as it looks awesome, although I don't particularly like Bruce Willis.

Another film I have only seen recently as it was recommended to me was 'Moon' which was fantastic.

I don't if you have seen them but if you haven't definitely watch them on Netflix as they are both excellent.

(Another film I was recommended by the same person who recommended 'Moon' was a film called 'The Naked Lunch' which looked very weird but I am still yet to watch :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest