The Student Room Group

Cigarettes

Hello:smile: Anon because I don't want anyone to find out I've stared smoking.

I have recently started smoking cigarettes, about 2/3 a day. I was just wondering whether this many cigarettes can have a detrimental affect on my health if I only smoke whilst at university (for the next three years.) I would probably only smoke four or five days a week.

Also I have heard of a cigarette brand called American Spirit that is supposed to be additive free, I know all cigs are bad however, are these 'healthier' than those big brands which do have additives?

Finally what's the cheapest but decent quality 20 pack cigarettes in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PS- I just want to elucidate my original post. I have been a social smoker for the last three years (probably 2 every few months when on a night out.) However, I feel that I will probably end up smoking most days at university because I will be away from home.

Please don't assume that I have yet to start smoking.
Reply 2
Any amount of cigarettes is bad for you. Additives or otherwise. Don't be a tool.
Reply 3
Original post by CallieCat
Any amount of cigarettes is bad for you. Additives or otherwise. Don't be a tool.

Does moderation not come into the equation?
2/3 fags are better for you than 4 a day, but worse than 1.
We cant really predict what will happen to you healthwise. They may not effect you in the slightest or you may develope breathing difficulties, its anyones guess.
Reply 5
Original post by CallieCat

Does moderation not come into the equation at all, I will only be smoking for about three days at this rate?
:facepalm2:

yes cancer, bronchitis and pneumonia only effect people who smoke more than 3 a day
Reply 7
If you only need 2/3 a day now I'd quite while it's still relatively easy.
Reply 8
Original post by Azzura
No, they can affect you after only one cig - if youre unlucky but still! (Obv smoking more increases your risk)

To be fair, you can get them without having ever smoked. Apparently (although I'm not a doctor) smokers and non-smokers get different types of lung cancer anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by ch0llima
To be fair, you can get them without having ever smoked. Apparently (although I'm not a doctor) smokers and non-smokers get different types of lung cancer anyway.

Yeah that's true, smoking increases the risk as does second hand smoking.

- I'm a med student :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by Azzura
No, they can affect you after only one cig - if youre unlucky but still! (Obv smoking more increases your risk)

the face-palm was lost on this one
Original post by rattusratus
:facepalm2:

yes cancer, bronchitis and pneumonia only effect people who smoke more than 3 a day

I don't know why everyone is having such a go at this guy and acting as if he's the biggest idiot in the world.

The fact is, you do not suddenly have a 60% chance of developing lung cancer as soon as you start smoking (I did just make the figure up but the actual figure is irrelevant). The percentage increase in your risk of lung cancer and other smoking related illnesses is going to proportional to the amount you smoke. Yes, any amount of cigarettes is going to increase the chances, but at lower amounts the less you smoke, the more negligble this becomes. If the OP smoked one cigarette a week, the chances of him getting smoking related illnesses are only going to be negligbly higher than a non-smoker, at one a day, again, the chances are not going to be that much higher. Of course they'll be higher than 1 a week, but compared to a heavy smoker (of 15-20 a day) they're going to be substantially lower.

So no, cancer, bronchitis and pneumonia do not only effect people who smoke more than 3 a day, but the chances of them affecting someone who only smokes 1 a day, isn't going to be massively higher than someone who doesn't smoke at all. So there's absolutely no need to completely ridicule him for asking that much.

The real danger is that while smoking only 1 a day, isn't going to dramatically increase associated health risks, what it will almost certainly lead to, is smoking more than 1 a day, and once the amount smoked per day increases, then associated health risks will get larger.
OP, quit smoking now. You're going to find it harder and harder, and one day maybe come back on this thread and feel like an idiot for not listening.

Smoking addiction never leaves you. Ever. If you smoke 2/3 a day for 3 years, you're going to do it for the rest of your life. The addiction isn't 'conquerable', people who stop smoking still crave them, they just suppress it.

Original post by You Failed

The real danger is that while smoking only 1 a day, isn't going to dramatically increase associated health risks, what it will almost certainly lead to, is smoking more than 1 a day, and once the amount smoked per day increases, then associated health risks will get larger.

Which is exactly why we think she/he's being an idiot :P
(edited 11 years ago)
im not having a go at him for smoking (i used too)

im posting that because he asked a stupid question about how to do something unhealthy healthily
If I was you, I'd be more worried about how you smell. It's not pleasant, and ITS NOT COOL OP. The way you worded it, I assume you're going to be smoking just because other people you know at Uni will be.
Reply 15
Moderation obviously reduces the harmful effects and smoking 2/3 isn't as bad as 5/6. If you were to smoke 2/3 a day for a few years while still young and then quit you wouldn't be doing too much harm to your body and much of the damage would heal, however this overlooks how extremely addictive smoking is. I have many family and friends who had the same plan as you and so far none have managed to give it up. If you plan on giving up save yourself the pain of addiction and don't start.
Reply 16
Considering you're probably going to be on a tight budget at uni, i'm not sure why you are so keen to continue an expensive habit. I had a friend who decided just to smoke at uni then stop, and she is really addicted, stop while it's easier because once it's a habit it's so difficult to give up
Reply 17
Please dont start smoking at all. I started at 15 when i was very immature and stupid and im thoroughly addicted (on patches atm). You could potentially regret this for the rest of your life. you may think im exagerating but i am not. Im not patronising you either, im talking from experience. at your age the temptation to start shouldnt really be there. I hope you see sense and good luck its your life.
Not everyone who smokes is an addict. I've been smoking for years, but I don't consider myself an addict. I'll go through periods where I smoke every day, but currently I haven't smoked in a week. You don't get addicted from your first cigarette as most people in this thread seem to think. Having an occasional cigarette is pleasant, just as an occasional drink is. I don't think 2/3 cigarettes a day would cause you much of a problem, the only issue is to avoid getting addicted. I try not to have them at particular periods in a day because then you start to get into the habit. I used to smoke every night but I found I couldn't sleep until I'd smoked because I was so used to it so now I mix it up a bit. I've never heard of additive free cigarettes but they sound like a scam.
Reply 19
Original post by ArtGoblin
Not everyone who smokes is an addict. I've been smoking for years, but I don't consider myself an addict. I'll go through periods where I smoke every day, but currently I haven't smoked in a week. You don't get addicted from your first cigarette as most people in this thread seem to think. Having an occasional cigarette is pleasant, just as an occasional drink is. I don't think 2/3 cigarettes a day would cause you much of a problem, the only issue is to avoid getting addicted. I try not to have them at particular periods in a day because then you start to get into the habit. I used to smoke every night but I found I couldn't sleep until I'd smoked because I was so used to it so now I mix it up a bit. I've never heard of additive free cigarettes but they sound like a scam.
the OP isnt a regular smoker with a history of it! so whats the point trying 2/3 a day on the off chance they will join a minority who dont get addicted?

Latest