The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheCrackInTime
I take it your sim only contract is a 30 day rolling one? If you don't mind switching to T-Mobile, you can get a GS3 for £26p/m (less with cashback) if you buy from certain sites. It'd be on a 24 month contract, but it's a powerful enough phone to take whatever Android can throw at it over the next 2 years.

12 month sim only but been out of contract for 18 months, sorry forgot to mention I need like 500 minutes a month which none of the cheap contracts offer, You can get 1GB web, unlimited texts and unlimited minutes with O2 for £15 a month after cashback so I don't really want to pay £10 a month more per month for a much lower allowance which is the main restriction. I have to decide by tomorrow morning if I want the Xperia U, I think it's looking like the best option atm combined with either the O2 1GB web, unlimited text/mins or with the virgin mobile £12 for 1GB data, unlimited texts and 1200 mins.
Not getting notifications of email on my gmail app, same with my twitter app. Anyone know why? Been happening since Monday...
I've got an S2 on Vodafone - when will I be able to update to Jelly Bean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
I've got an S2 on Vodafone - when will I be able to update to Jelly Bean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have that too. Apparently Samsung will be rolling out jb to the S2 in November. So we'll probably get it on kies by late November/December.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G8D
Settings > Accounts and Sync, then have a look at Twitter and Gmail?

It says nothing about notifications...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G8D
'Sync Twitter' has to be selected.
'Sync Gmail' has to be selected.

derrrr

It is... :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sup y'all. Still on CM7.2 (supposed to be 'stable', reason I haven't put CM10 yet).

Got a weird problem. My brother says often when he calls me it says that my phone is off/goes to voicemail. Texts come through though. Not sure what it could be. Any ideas?
Original post by G8D
As far as I can tell this is generally a network problem rather than a phone problem. Connections aren't always consistent but a text will come through when you regain proper connection. A phone call has to be in real time.

It may be software but I've not found any solution for it.

Interesting. I live where it's always full bars so I hope that's not a problem. I'll go through all the network settings (call forwarding, blocked numbers and all that) in a bit.
Have a wildfire s, keeps cutting me offline so then have to do full search again.

Smartphone pfft.

Will probably be going back to a standard nokia 6300 or something of the sort. Will just have to keep a map and compass handy in case I get lost :ahee:
Okay can someone help me?
I'm having trouble with my Samsung Galaxy S3 i'm not used to Smartphones and I just need a few tips.

I would like to set my text message notification to vibrate only. I can't seem to figure out how to do this correctly as at the moment it's just silent when I get a new text.
Can anyone help?
Original post by G8D
Not at all familiar with this phone but if you press the menu button whilst in the Messages app and go into the settings you may see notification settings. From there you can set the phone to vibrate always so it's not off when the phone is muted.

Might not be the same for your phone though.

Thank you but I can't seem to see this option :frown:
Original post by G8D
Try the sound options in the Settings app?

Yeah i've been playing around with it all day but nothing seems to work. Theres not a clear vibration option for text messages.:confused:
Original post by G8D
I suspect that vibration settings may be global (in that they apply to both messages and calls in the same way). Not sure that helps you, but I'm not sure you can set them separately.

Okay thanks. My ringtone is set to vibrate as well so i'm not really sure but thanks for the help anyway :yy:
Original post by Saliency
Okay thanks. My ringtone is set to vibrate as well so i'm not really sure but thanks for the help anyway :yy:

If you press the volume rocker up 1 press, does the phone vibrate with no audible sound made? If so you're done :tongue: if not I think you'll need to go into sound settings.
Original post by Intriguing Alias
If you press the volume rocker up 1 press, does the phone vibrate with no audible sound made? If so you're done :tongue: if not I think you'll need to go into sound settings.

Yeah I've tried that too. I posted on a Samsung forum and apparently there is no way you can get your incomong texts to vibrate. You have to download an app which is really strange.. This so called great phone can't even vibrate without an app.

At least it's fixed now. Thanks everyone!:tongue:
Original post by G8D
Well then just say that. That is part of your notification setting. If apps aren't syncing they can't provide notifications.

On that same page is 'Auto Sync' and 'Background Data' enabled?

Nothing like that on 'Accounts and sync'. All it has is my accounts, and two options 'sync all' and 'add account'...
Does anyone have a Nexus 7? :beard: Even though I said I don't see the point in tablets, they do look very cool. What do people use them for though? If I got one, I wouldn't know what to do with it...
Original post by Karma Charger
Does anyone have a Nexus 7? :beard: Even though I said I don't see the point in tablets, they do look very cool. What do people use them for though? If I got one, I wouldn't know what to do with it...

AMAZING.

Screen is excellent. It's just the right size I feel for reading so with pdfs of my lecture notes and with the kindle app your reading needs are all taken care of. This is the main reason I got it. Typing while in portrait mode is also convenient at this size. Also it's size makes it very portable and easy to take around compared to a laptop in case you need to do anything quickly while out or can't be arsed to turn on your computer. It surprisingly fits in a lot of my pockets even though mine has a case on.

not to mention this quad core beast handles nearly everything you can throw at it which is helped by the fact it is running native jelly bean. Because of Project Butter in jelly bean I have noticed no lag whatsoever and navigating the UI feels smooth and instant. The dictation recognition software is extremely fast for Google Now and actually convenient to use because of the near instant replies (not to mention it works properly in the UK and the speed makes Siri on iOS look slow).

It's also a very entertaining media device when your computer is occupied. My phone feels too small and slow and typing is frustrating on it with my large fingers so I end up getting frustrated when trying to kill time with it as opposed to the nexus 7 which I actually enjoy using.

My first tablet btw
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Saliency
Yeah I've tried that too. I posted on a Samsung forum and apparently there is no way you can get your incomong texts to vibrate. You have to download an app which is really strange.. This so called great phone can't even vibrate without an app.

At least it's fixed now. Thanks everyone!:tongue:

Does this help:

1. Open the text message application (touch the message icon)
2. Open the application settings (touch the button to the left of the home button and select settings)
3. Under the Notification Settings heading, select vibrate (touch the vibrate setting)
4. Select your desired vibrate setting.

If not then yeah at least the app fixes it :smile:
Original post by Intriguing Alias
Does this help:

1. Open the text message application (touch the message icon)
2. Open the application settings (touch the button to the left of the home button and select settings)
3. Under the Notification Settings heading, select vibrate (touch the vibrate setting)
4. Select your desired vibrate setting.

If not then yeah at least the app fixes it :smile:

No for some reason there wasn't even an option for vibrate :/

I think I'll just stick to the app for now. Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending