The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1

Thanks! Maths may be scary but it's a darn site more interesting than English Lit and history. So there :u: :tongue:

Sounds good (especially the biology :love:) :biggrin: Great! :smile:

I agree it could be more interesting than English Literature, but History...oooh you went there :wink: It's so interesting! Especially the Russian stuff :tongue:

Yeah I enjoy Biology so much! We did an experiment whilst listening to music, it was fun :tongue: Though it was so difficult for me to just not break out into song :wink:
Reply 4061
Original post by Lucy96
I agree it could be more interesting than English Literature, but History...oooh you went there :wink: It's so interesting! Especially the Russian stuff :tongue:

Yeah I enjoy Biology so much! We did an experiment whilst listening to music, it was fun :tongue: Though it was so difficult for me to just not break out into song :wink:

Yeah, I went there! :tongue: History certainly is interesting :yep: It's the only subject I regret dropping after my GCSEs. We did the Cold War for GCSE and I absolutely loved it! Russia is also really interesting, but we didn't learn about it too much, sadly. But still, maths has so much more awesome stuff like calculus so it is better :biggrin:

Haha, that sounds great! We cultured bacteria today in biology which was really fun! :lol:
Original post by yesiwasdrunk
They both sound fascinating, particularly the sleep one.
And I see what you mean, that's why I'm unsure.. We haven't been told anything about what we actually have to do yet, all we did was sign up, so I have no idea what sort of topic to choose :P

This was posted from The Student Room's

An epq is basically an extended writing piece of essay where you do your own research on a topic that interests you. I believe its 5,000 words, so choose one you'd actually want to write about.

And yeah, I'm just thinking what kind of question I'd set

Posted from my [insert name of device to exaggerate my wealth]
Yeah, I went there! :tongue: History certainly is interesting :yep: It's the only subject I regret dropping after my GCSEs. We did the Cold War for GCSE and I absolutely loved it! Russia is also really interesting, but we didn't learn about it too much, sadly. But still, maths has so much more awesome stuff like calculus so it is better :biggrin:

Haha, that sounds great! We cultured bacteria today in biology which was really fun! :lol:

Hehe :tongue: Aww! Well I'm glad you agree :wink: Lucky you, that'd be a good topic to learn about! We got told last lesson that some of the Russian peasants got so hungry, that they actually went as far as to dig up recently buried people, and eat their decaying corpse...LOVELY! :tongue:
I can imagine Maths is far better at A level, I just wouldn't be able to do it without it taking all of my time up and coming before my other subjects :frown:

That does sound fun :biggrin:
Reply 4064
Original post by Lucy96
Hehe :tongue: Aww! Well I'm glad you agree :wink: Lucky you, that'd be a good topic to learn about! We got told last lesson that some of the Russian peasants got so hungry, that they actually went as far as to dig up recently buried people, and eat their decaying corpse...LOVELY! :tongue:
I can imagine Maths is far better at A level, I just wouldn't be able to do it without it taking all of my time up and coming before my other subjects :frown:

That does sound fun :biggrin:

Yup, it's not often that I agree about things like this :wink: Yeah, it was! Erm..yes, lovely! :tongue: Interesting stories like this is what's making me miss history. :sad:
Yeah, maths at A-Level is far more interesting than at GCSE. Ah right, I see, unlucky :u: :tongue:

:biggrin:
Yup, it's not often that I agree about things like this :wink: Yeah, it was! Erm..yes, lovely! :tongue: Interesting stories like this is what's making me miss history. :sad:
Yeah, maths at A-Level is far more interesting than at GCSE. Ah right, I see, unlucky :u: :tongue:

:biggrin:

Are the optional units (mechanics/statistics/decision) any good? I feel I'll enjoy the Core and Further Pure as they are number based, but I didn't really enjoy statistics at GCSE.
Reply 4066
Original post by CJG21
Are the optional units (mechanics/statistics/decision) any good? I feel I'll enjoy the Core and Further Pure as they are number based, but I didn't really enjoy statistics at GCSE.

They are good, but I prefer the pure modules to the applied modules tbh. I just think that the pure modules are far more interesting :smile:
Original post by CJG21

I've heard mechanics is fine if you do Physics as the maths is very similar. Statistics I don't know much about but have heard it's pretty tricky. I've also heard decision is a lot easier than the others (it's also one of the only ones to involve coursework I believe?)

WAHHH, my A Levels are so hard - Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography. We also have to do General Studies. :'(
Reply 4068
Original post by AwkwardLemur
I've heard mechanics is fine if you do Physics as the maths is very similar.

Yeah, some of the maths in physics is made far easier if you do mechanics :yep:
Yeah, some of the maths in physics is made far easier if you do mechanics :yep:

I think we're doing mechanics as our unit in Maths for this very reason as about 70% of our class is doing Physics as well. :h:
Original post by AwkwardLemur
I've heard mechanics is fine if you do Physics as the maths is very similar. Statistics I don't know much about but have heard it's pretty tricky. I've also heard decision is a lot easier than the others (it's also one of the only ones to involve coursework I believe?)

WAHHH, my A Levels are so hard - Maths, Physics, Economics and Geography. We also have to do General Studies. :'(

Your a levels are hard? I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, biology and chemistry :biggrin:

I'm worried that you said decision was easy because I'm really struggling with it so far, and its the only thing in any of my subjects that I just can't do :frown:

This was posted on The Student Room from my 1st gen iPad. retr0.
Reply 4071
Original post by CJG21
Your a levels are hard? I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, biology and chemistry :biggrin:

I'm worried that you said decision was easy because I'm really struggling with it so far, and its the only thing in any of my subjects that I just can't do :frown:

Awesome choices :wink: Same as me :biggrin:

Not all people find decision easy, it is subjective, so don't worry about it! :smile:
Original post by rock.and.rose
You can enter exams as a private candidate. Ask the Exams Officer at your academy for some advice, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.

Original post by Soontobesuper
In theory it should be, but you would have to tell your college as you would need somewhere to sit the exam. Be careful and check your college will allow you to do that.

Thanks guys! I should probably ask if it's possible first before trying to find a tutor. (But if you know anyone, that'd be great! :wink: I live in Sutton/Morden, Surrey)

[QUOTE="Soontobesuper;39619165"]Any1 else feel that everyone else in ther college/form got better GCSE'S than you did, or is it just me? :ashamed:

Me! I really wish I took my GCSE's seriously instead of not revising. *sigh*
Original post by Lucy96
Oh well you all deserve it :smile:

Very nice! An Inspector Calls is amazing, I loved it! :tongue:

Aah, we haven't started it yet! Our exam is in June! :biggrin: but someone.ruined it already :frown:

Posted from the Bottom of the Big Blue Sea...
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Yep! Yeah we get them for free because they forces us to sit early even when the English teachers said we need maturity!

Our books are To Kill a Mockingbird... An Inspector Calls and About a Boy!

Whatever happened to the classic combination; lord of the flies and of mice men. I really enjoyed lord of the flies, so you're missing out on such terminology as the darkness of man's heart or regressing to an atavistic state. I'm such a loser, LOL. I've never read those books :tongue:

Original post by mynameisntbobk
An epq is basically an extended writing piece of essay where you do your own research on a topic that interests you. I believe its 5,000 words, so choose one you'd actually want to write about.

And yeah, I'm just thinking what kind of question I'd set

Oh right, ok.. They're both really interesting to me, so I guess I'll just have to see what questions I can come up with and then pick one. At least if the one I choose is too hard I know I've got a back up! :P

This was posted from The Student Room's
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Whatever happened to the classic combination; lord of the flies and of mice men. I really enjoyed lord of the flies, so you're missing out on such terminology as the darkness of man's heart or regressing to an atavistic state. I'm such a loser, LOL. I've never read those books :tongue:

Of Mice and Men is the middle.set book... And Lord of the Flies I've got a copy at home. I really didn't like it :colondollar: I'll re read it... Maybe my mind has matures in three years :wink:

Are guys talking about GCSE English? I did Lord of the Flies, To kill a Mockingbird, Hamlet and Merchant of Venice.
Original post by reubenkinara
Are guys talking about GCSE English? I did Lord of the Flies, To kill a Mockingbird, Hamlet and Merchant of Venice.

Yep! I'm in year eleven :') I did TKaM... And I think our Shakespeare piece is on Macbeth :frown:

Original post by shadab786ahmed
Yep! I'm in year eleven :') I did TKaM... And I think our Shakespeare piece is on Macbeth :frown:

Cool. Do you want to do English at University?

Latest