The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Thanks Toto, appreciate the advice :smile: It's good to know this damage can be healed! These feelings are all quite scary atm.
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it said 'eating dinosaurs'
Original post by hamburgerandbeans

This made me smile.
Anorexo-sore-arse
Original post by hamburgerandbeans

That would be a truly jurassic disorder :wink:
Original post by TotoMimo
Disenchanted, it's something you might experience for up to a year during recovery.

I'm going to spoiler a potentially unsettling set of symptoms I have been experiencing as of late:

Spoiler

Quick Summary: Who the hell would want to be an anorexic. Who the hell would want this. Haha.

ouch and O_O. Hope you're okay dude. Must say i prefer having highlighter yellow pee when I've had beroca tablets than ribena pee tbh. I hope that sorts itself out soon, sounds a bit scary. I'm finally managing to sleep properly, ok, I'm still waking at 3.30am for 10-15 minutes, but i can deal with it. Lectures start on monday!! but I've managed to find this thing which tells me what's covered in every modules lectures, so I can swot up before the first one.
^ Gah. Did a riku. The post above is me.
Reply 4446
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
Has anyone else had experiences with electrolyte imbalances? I had my bloods done as I am constantly dizzy and exhausted and have got to the point where I need to nap constantly and have almost passed out a few times today. I feel too sick to eat anything which is making it worse. Apparently the results show that my sodium levels are quite low and proteins a bit high; is it normal to be feeling like this? I am so completely furious with myself for letting this happen to my body. I can't go on a night out with my friends tonight because I feel awful and I hate missing out because of this.

I often had this problem, it is rubish! Bananas are good... I also got prescribed stuff to help and my levels started to go back up well. x
TL:biggrin:R - How have people dealt with body image concerns post recovery?

I'm approaching the 3 years in recovery mark, having relapsed a couple of times I've been over a BMI of 20 for 20 months and over a BMI of 18.5 for a year, it's 18 months since I last purged...I do not use ANY eating disorder behaviours ever, I eat 3 meals a day plus snacks, whatever food I fancy, I'm not obsessive over measurements etc and I almost never feel the urge to restrict or purge, I do still occasionally have a small issue with exercise in that I really struggle with my anxiety levels if I'm prevented from exercising several times a week (running/yoga/conditioning/gym) but my exercise levels are under control (I work out ever other day usually which is LESS than pre-ED when I was fine with my weight)

I'm maintaining my weight around a BMI of 21ish (5'5" measurements 36-25-37), probably just over (I'm estimating as I only get weighed when I get BC prescriptions at the GP and usually dont look)

However, as well as I'm doing I'm having massive issues with my body insecurities, I'm genuinely considering dumping my boyfriend because I googled a couple of his ex GFs and they're SO attractive and I'm so plain and my body is average and I feel so angry all the time that so many girls can walk around all skinny and happy and I get insanely anxious, depressed, obsessive compulsive and my long term health problems get worse when I drop below my current weight, I have literally been on the verge of tears all day because I have to go back to uni next week and meet new flatmates and see my boyfriend and probably have sex and I just can't cope with how I look
Original post by doodle_333
TL:biggrin:R - How have people dealt with body image concerns post recovery?

I'm approaching the 3 years in recovery mark, having relapsed a couple of times I've been over a BMI of 20 for 20 months and over a BMI of 18.5 for a year, it's 18 months since I last purged...I do not use ANY eating disorder behaviours ever, I eat 3 meals a day plus snacks, whatever food I fancy, I'm not obsessive over measurements etc and I almost never feel the urge to restrict or purge, I do still occasionally have a small issue with exercise in that I really struggle with my anxiety levels if I'm prevented from exercising several times a week (running/yoga/conditioning/gym) but my exercise levels are under control (I work out ever other day usually which is LESS than pre-ED when I was fine with my weight)

I'm maintaining my weight around a BMI of 21ish (5'5" measurements 36-25-37), probably just over (I'm estimating as I only get weighed when I get BC prescriptions at the GP and usually dont look)

However, as well as I'm doing I'm having massive issues with my body insecurities, I'm genuinely considering dumping my boyfriend because I googled a couple of his ex GFs and they're SO attractive and I'm so plain and my body is average and I feel so angry all the time that so many girls can walk around all skinny and happy and I get insanely anxious, depressed, obsessive compulsive and my long term health problems get worse when I drop below my current weight, I have literally been on the verge of tears all day because I have to go back to uni next week and meet new flatmates and see my boyfriend and probably have sex and I just can't cope with how I look

*massive hugs* You are FAR too hard on yourself!
Look at it this way. You are bound to have insecurities. You're more beautiful than you think you are. If your boyfriend didn't find you attractive and beautiful BOTH inside and out, then he would be with someone else.
He has chosen you because he loves YOU and nobody else. You need to accept this and feel deserving of it, because you are, and it is what's left of disordered thinking that tells you you're not. Do you think he'd want you to starve yourself and become skeletal so that you could feel worthy of love? Of course not.
There is nothing more attractive than a healthy, confident woman. It is just the confidence you need to work on.
Have a chat with him about how you're feeling and I'm sure he'll be quick to reassure you! What if he had felt the way you do and said all this to you? How would you have responded?
You need to give yourself a lot more love. Recovery is an incredible achievement and for this, you are a remarkable and strong person.
Start to see yourself that way.
Original post by oxongirl
I often had this problem, it is rubish! Bananas are good... I also got prescribed stuff to help and my levels started to go back up well. x

Thank you, I didn't know you could get prescribed things. I am going to see the doctor on Monday so hopefully I may be able to get some help as I'm fed up of this interfering with my social life and making it really exhausting when I'm working.
This summer I've really turned a corner in my ED, I decided to stop going on anything that triggers (like this thread, and my writing) and it really helped me normalise my thought process. I still struggle with food but I'm doing my best to try to take cues from others and try and be normal again, whatever that is.
Last week I was in a cafe near my local hospital with a friend and a group of anorexia patients came in with one of the team (who I don't think recognised me) to do an exercise in eating outside the hospital healthily. Seeing them struggle (and noticing that their weight was not normal, not desirable- something that I hadn't been able to do before) helped me to see how much I've recovered. I can order food now, I can cope on my own and that's amazing.
I just wanted to let you all know that I'm alive, healthy and still thinking about you guys and sending positive thoughts. We can all do this and this thread was a great help to me but I now realise that I used it as a crutch to continue my disorder.
Stay healthy, you are all amazing and the amount of positivity on this thread is a great thing!
Original post by Anonymous
This summer I've really turned a corner in my ED, I decided to stop going on anything that triggers (like this thread, and my writing) and it really helped me normalise my thought process. I still struggle with food but I'm doing my best to try to take cues from others and try and be normal again, whatever that is.
Last week I was in a cafe near my local hospital with a friend and a group of anorexia patients came in with one of the team (who I don't think recognised me) to do an exercise in eating outside the hospital healthily. Seeing them struggle (and noticing that their weight was not normal, not desirable- something that I hadn't been able to do before) helped me to see how much I've recovered. I can order food now, I can cope on my own and that's amazing.
I just wanted to let you all know that I'm alive, healthy and still thinking about you guys and sending positive thoughts. We can all do this and this thread was a great help to me but I now realise that I used it as a crutch to continue my disorder.
Stay healthy, you are all amazing and the amount of positivity on this thread is a great thing!

That was me, apparently I set anon by accident.
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
Has anyone else had experiences with electrolyte imbalances? I had my bloods done as I am constantly dizzy and exhausted and have got to the point where I need to nap constantly and have almost passed out a few times today. I feel too sick to eat anything which is making it worse. Apparently the results show that my sodium levels are quite low and proteins a bit high; is it normal to be feeling like this? I am so completely furious with myself for letting this happen to my body. I can't go on a night out with my friends tonight because I feel awful and I hate missing out because of this.

Yeah, your protein levels will be high because you will be dehydrated. You should try and eat things like green leaf veg, tomatoes, fruit such as grapes, apples and bananas. And (if you can) have something salty or add salt to your food. Make sure you drink plenty, smoothies would be a good option :smile: Topping up your sodium can happen quite quickly, you are feeling so awful because your body is crying out for calories. Please try something i've listed and you WILL feel better. Stay strong and well.

x
Reply 4453
Another thing to bear in mind is that your body will adjust to a more healthy intake of energy a little like a drug addict being weaned OFF of a drug; you might exhibit some odd behaviours like feeling even MORE tired initially, convulsions, shaking and insomnia; you may have to urinate really frequently, and get parasthesia (pins and needles to the extremes).

It's your body learning to cope with fuel again. It's not a bad sign, so don't fret or stop your upped intake.

It's like when you have the flu; you get a rotten sore throat and fever. That's not the virus doing that; it's your body's natural defences (yes, your body's doing it to you, that sod!). The virus just wants to replicate and kill cells silently, and for a while you have the flu and feel no different. When your body REALISES the influenza virus is there (and I'm just using influenza as an example) it raises the temperature above 37 degrees - our (and the virus') favourite temperature for health. It then goes on a carpet bombing session of destroying all infected cells (taking out a lot of your own healthy cells in the process, resulting in a horrible groggy sore, raw feeling) before it deems the perfect antibody/antigen solution to wipe it out for good.

So yeah, our own body takes the short-term hit by making you feel TERRIBLE for the long term good.

Stick with it!!
Reply 4454
Original post by .snowflake.
^ Gah. Did a riku. The post above is me.

Oh, so it's like that now, is it Snow? [sniffs, shuffles into corner]

Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
That was me, apparently I set anon by accident.

OK, think I might have set the worst trend in the history of TSR...:doh:

Great to hear from you LaBelle :biggrin: x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Riku
Oh, so it's like that now, is it Snow? [sniffs, shuffles into corner]

OK, think I might have set the worst trend in the history of TSR...:doh:

Great to hear from you LaBelle :biggrin: x

Well, it is usually you who ends up posting anon, when you don't want to! Ily Riku :smile:
^ ok, that was ironic.
Original post by .snowflake.
^ ok, that was ironic.

Imitation's the sincerest form of flattery :P
Reply 4458
^^^ You've got to be joking.
Reply 4459
Hm.

Had another thought about my behaviour this evening and what constitutes a "binge". I am extremely controlled as an individual in terms of calories. Whether or not it's 100 calories of cabbage or cake, I view it the same; it's just numbers.
But I spoke before about "banking calories". This evening I knew we would be eating a lot of cake; my sister got TWO amazing birthday cakes.

So, i factored in two big slices worth of calories; 950- "banked" off my maintenance for today. So i ate relatively meagrely and had tons of cake this evening, but still only had maintenance calories.

Bizarrely, because it was so rigidly controlled, it was very much enjoyed and absurdly decadent, but i would not regard it "binge" behaviour because of the control element.

Still "disordered" and a compulsive anxiety-related behaviour though.

Quick Reply

Latest