The Student Room Group

becoming a pharmacist from a biochemistry background

hi all
first post :smile:

i graduated from the university of surrey with a 1st in medical biochemistry 2 years ago.

i did not know what i wanted to do whilst at uni i just enjoyed science and thought id do my best at biochemistry, however i took pharmacology modules which i enjoyed the most and got a 1st in all these modules too.

i have worked for 2 years just for experience and for money as a research tech,

i would like to be a pharmacist but am unsure of the route i could take now with my degree,
if i did a MSc Pharmacology could I go on to become a licensed pharmacist?

Original post by bigdom86
hi all
first post :smile:

i graduated from the university of surrey with a 1st in medical biochemistry 2 years ago.

i did not know what i wanted to do whilst at uni i just enjoyed science and thought id do my best at biochemistry, however i took pharmacology modules which i enjoyed the most and got a 1st in all these modules too.

i have worked for 2 years just for experience and for money as a research tech,

i would like to be a pharmacist but am unsure of the route i could take now with my degree,
if i did a MSc Pharmacology could I go on to become a licensed pharmacist?

an MSc in pharmacology will not allow you to practice as a pharmacist.
To practice as a pharmacist in the UK, the minimum you need to have is an MPharm degree (equivalent to a BScPharm in Canada, or a PharmD in the states)

It would be a good idea for you to do some research into the difference between a pharmacologist and a pharmacist.

If you like the science, research, academia parts of it, I would recommend sticking with the pharmacology route.

The job of the pharmacist doesn't really involve pharmacology directly. For example a community or hospital pharmacist uses his/her knowledge of pharmacology, biochemistry, physiology etc to make sure people use medicines safely, usually in conjunction with other meds. Industrial pharmacists have a different role entirely.

So, I definitely think pharmacy is worth looking into, but you should probably do some research to help you make an informed decision before you actually think of applying.

Hope that helps =D
Reply 3
i do not enjoy research or academia at all. which is why i am currently on the management side of labs at a university. i would enjoy being a pharmacist, is the only way for me to do this to do a whole mpharm degree? or can i do some sort of masters or conversion to become a pharmacist? i wish i knew what i wanted to do before i started uni (twice lol)
i do not enjoy research or academia at all. which is why i am currently on the management side of labs at a university. i would enjoy being a pharmacist, is the only way for me to do this to do a whole mpharm degree? or can i do some sort of masters or conversion to become a pharmacist? i wish i knew what i wanted to do before i started uni (twice lol)

It would have to be through an MPharm degree, but depending on what courses you took at uni before, they may offer you some exemptions on first and second year courses.

For example, before starting pharmacy, I had a background in Human Biology and Chemistry, so I was exempted from most of the chemistry and biology courses in my first year.
Reply 5
:frown: unfortunately university is just too expensive now so i guess ill have to give it a miss and look into something else, which is annoying
thanks for your help though
:frown: unfortunately university is just too expensive now so i guess ill have to give it a miss and look into something else, which is annoying
thanks for your help though

No problem, just keep in mind that the money and time is an investment, although I do realize that fees are quite high at the moment (they're almost the same as my int'l fees at some schools)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, I'm sure there are people who have answers to whatever it may be that you want to know =)
Hi, please how do continue from my biochemistry background to become a pharmacist I don't want to go back and start as a fresh student, is there a way I can just continue with Masters or anything else just to have a certificate and license to enable me open my own pharmacy stores as to be independent.. Thank you! Chelsey
Original post by Chelsey ody
Hi, please how do continue from my biochemistry background to become a pharmacist I don't want to go back and start as a fresh student, is there a way I can just continue with Masters or anything else just to have a certificate and license to enable me open my own pharmacy stores as to be independent.. Thank you! Chelsey

Sorry, in order to become a pharmacist in the UK you need to have an MPharm or equivalent degree that is accredited by the regulator of pharmacists in the UK: the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
How I can become a pharmacist after the 4 years when I complete my degree of BS biochemistry?
It really sucks but if you are a biochemist, like myself there is no quicker route to become a pharmacist. They really make you do a whole other 4 year degree. It's really depressing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending