The Student Room Group

Closing French bank account from England?

I have moved back to England after my year abroad in France, and had the intention of later returning to France to close my bank accounts with LCL and Credit Mutuel, but I have not been able to return. Does anyone know if it's possible to retrieve my money from the accounts and close them without being there?

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm not sure. With my bank (BNP Paribas) I had to go in, have an appointment, sign a bunch of stuff, wait for everything to be cleared and then pick up the remainder of my money in cash from the branch.

I guess your best bet is to email them/write a letter (if you have online banking, maybe you can get in touch with them through there?) explaining your situation, and ask if there's any way to do it without actually being there - but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Okay, yeah I'll try to email them and see what they say. I hope it works!
Original post by dancehallqueen08
Okay, yeah I'll try to email them and see what they say. I hope it works!

Hey!

I'm having the exact same problem!

Did you have any success? I really don't want to have to pay to go to France just to close it :frown:

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Natalie
Original post by nataliemia89
Hey!

I'm having the exact same problem!

Did you have any success? I really don't want to have to pay to go to France just to close it :frown:

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Natalie

No I haven't had a chance to do it yet, and I don't really know how to go about doing it! Do you have an idea of what you might do about it?
Reply 5
Original post by dancehallqueen08
No I haven't had a chance to do it yet, and I don't really know how to go about doing it! Do you have an idea of what you might do about it?

Here's a link from a Paris Uni on how to close your account. Sounds like they know what they're talking about. Hope it helps.

http://www.univ-paris-est.fr/access/accueil.php?id=8&lang=en
Reply 6
You can close your account by post (recommandé AR). If possible, transfer your money out first by transfer (online bank).

Madame, Monsieur,

Veuillez bien vouloir clôturer mon compte bancaire XXXXXXX à dater du DATE...
Original post by wes
You can close your account by post (recommandé AR). If possible, transfer your money out first by transfer (online bank).

Madame, Monsieur,

Veuillez bien vouloir clôturer mon compte bancaire XXXXXXX à dater du DATE...

Original post by Cwaffers
Here's a link from a Paris Uni on how to close your account. Sounds like they know what they're talking about. Hope it helps.

http://www.univ-paris-est.fr/access/accueil.php?id=8&lang=en

Thank both of you, I've spoken to the bank and they're in the process of getting it done! I just hope that they send all of the money, I've heard of people just receiving a small amount and then their account is closed without them getting the rest :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Old thread I know, but I've received calls from LCL asking to organise a meeting to close my account, which I was planning to do later on in the year. I opened the account September 2013 - is the LCL student account only valid for a year? If that's true that could be why they're calling me...
Reply 9
Good luck with email or snail mail. I have been trying to close an account with credit Agricola since Jan this year. Used email and have written numerous times , yet to have any response from the bank.
Brexit!
At LCL France, they are a bunch of insincere people. They keep promising they would get it done without actually doing anything. Are they expecting me to travel to France just to have an account closed?

Quick Reply

Latest