The Student Room Group

Muse Society II - Join the Resistance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6361
After hearing some of the new album stuff from footage of last nights show i'm really forward to the new album and the tour next month.

This channel has footage of a few of the songs
I'm being a good boy and not listening to any other stuff from the album until it's released. :yep:
Had a listen to Panic station. It's quite 70's funk which isn't exactly what Muse are known for but from what the live one sounds like it's a good song and extremely catchy. Bit of 'another one bites the dust' in the track too.
Quite looking forward to the gig, expected the album to be different but it's still good :smile: also just me or does Animal seriously remind you of Falling away with you?
It amuses me that the drop in Follow Me is way more intense than the one in Unsustainable, yet it seems to have passed people by that it's dubstep :P
Reply 6366
Full album:

Edit: Video now removed but official streams are up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ok, I gave in and gave the album a quick listen. I'm not sure how I feel at the moment. There are some good moments and some forgettable moments. I'll have to give a few more listens before I can give any sort of judgement, but I'm a little disappointed at the moment.
The fact that some songs are awesome like Supremacy and Panic station but others are meh, some songs are rock, some songs are dubstep means it doesn't sound like an album because there's no flow to it. Explorers is probably the one I least liked but there were some really good moment. Not sure I'll be buying it though.
Reply 6369
Yeah my highlights are Supremacy, Follow Me and Animals at the moment. There are some meh tracks but overall I think it's very good and can't wait to hear some of it live.
Im really liking Panic Station, and Supremacy is also pretty good. Its very James Bond-y as well. Hmm...
Well, it flows about as well my blocked nose, but I'm give them this: at least this album has a personality. There are a few good tracks up to Explorers. It could yet be a grower.

Do people like Follow Me? It has some nice moments but it's oh so singly and bland and horrible. The dubstep infusion thingy in the chorus... *shudder*.
Haven't listened in full but from a bit of each panic station and animals are looking great tracks... follow me not so much.
OK, so Ive listened through a couple of times. The 2nd Law is great... as individual tracks. Its another album thats got a great foundation but just hasnt been coherently put together. Its doesnt work as a unit, and it hasnt done since Absolution, and to a lesser extent Black Holes. Maybe its because they are focus on the 11 tracks too early? We arent seeing great B-sides anymore, more than anything that used to be what made them so great, A whole catalogue of strong pieces of music allowing them greater freedom and choice to put the LP together, and to flow. Case in point being The Groove. Frankly its one of their best pieces and its a shame they never have or will play it live much. But it would be completely wrong for Absolution.

Putting the calm pieces and the heavy stuff in the correct places. The genres they put in need to be more united, Muse being able to change and adapt has stood them out as a band but this abrupt change in genre in the LP works at times and others it just completely jarrs.

And Liquid State? That was the wall of sound/rock your ****ing block off number. But the wall of sound never came - it needed a New Born esque mix to really make it prominent. Its as if the album has been mixed to the same volume, and hence it no longer works as a single entity.

But yeah, Supremacy, Panic Station, Animals (will I get hated on for suggesting Paranoid Android?), Liquid State and Isolated System do stand up on their own, I love those tracks.
And Follow me sort of works too. Its just slightly cringeworthy that its Matts voice, nothing else marks it out as Muse but as a standalone, its good.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm listening though as many tracks as I've not heard yet before I go to work. I'm on Animals at the moment which I am really liking - it's quite snowagery. Panic Station confuses the **** out of me... it's like Queen's 'Another one bites the dust' mixed with a bit of Stevie Wonder style trumpet and some Prince thrown in for good measure. It doesn't sound like muse!

I also can't say I'm a fan of Chris's tracks. I know they're personal to him but I don't like his voice. Matt Bellamy makes muse sound like muse and having a generic type of voice singing kinda ruins it.
Reply 6375
Original post by JohnnySPal

Do people like Follow Me? It has some nice moments but it's oh so singly and bland and horrible. The dubstep infusion thingy in the chorus... *shudder*.

I heard that it was produced with Nero which is probably why the dubstep is so prominent in the chorus. Personally I like it and is one of my favoured tracks off the new album but i can see why it doesn't appeal to others
Okay after some more listening I'm feeling more positive about the album as a whole. As previously mentioned a lot of the tracks work better independently from the rest of the album, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad album; I don't think Absolution flows particularly well but it's still a very good album (although I don't rate it, as an album, as high as most of their other stuff). One thing I do really like about this album is that there's a large mix of genres, I do love it when great bands such as Muse mix it up a bit.

Now onto the tracks:

Supremacy
A good opener, it hits you in the face with some nice riffage before heading into a string section that becomes the verse. The falsetto is amazing but the verse could perhaps do with a little more 'oomph.' Also, this needs to be the official track for the new bond film Skyfall.

Madness
Still loving it, although I think it sounds slightly odd in the context of the album.

Panic Station
New, refreshing and utterly brilliant. Possible even more ludicrous than Survival and I love it. I really like Matt's vocals in this one and the brass is a nice touch.

Prelude + Survival
I'm still of the opinion that these two should always be put together. Still sounding great but again I'm not sure how well it fits with the album.

Follow Me
Probably my least favourite, I think that getting someone else to make a remix of it was a mistake. As a result it just sounds like a generic dubstep/pop song with Matt's vocals tacked on, there's nothing else that really defines it as Muse.

Animals
Sounds very prog rock to me. On the whole I think it's a good song but I'm finding it hard to get properly into it. The riffage at the end is quite good and the crowd shouting fits quite well.

Explorers
A slow song that, strangely, is the longest on the album. Goes on for far too long without really changing. Also I swear I've heard the vocal melody in the verse before.

Big Freeze
Seems to get a lot of hate but I'm liking it so far. It does sound a bit like U2 but I don't see that as a bad thing, I think Muse pull it off and I quite enjoy it.

Save Me
A good first effort from Chris, his voice makes a refreshing change I think. Having said that it falls into the same trap that Explorers did, it's too long a song considering how slow it is and there's not enough variation.

Liquid State
More of what we'd expect from Muse, some nice riffage and bass work. Chris' vocals are again very good. Has the opposite problem of Save Me and needs to be longer.

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable
Sounds even more odd within the context of the album than it did on its own. Still not a fan, but the strings are good.

The 2nd Law: Isolated System
From the last track to this one is possible the oddest transition I've ever heard. A decent piano piece but it keeps building to a big orchestra/rock section that never happens. Ultimately a slightly disappointing end to the album.
I streamed up to explorers last night. verdict: awesomeee (in the main)
The recently aired Jools Holland should be iPlayered ASAP. The XX, Natalie Duncan and The Beach Boys were all excellent :tongue:

Nah, both Madness and Panic Station sounded great tonight.
After listening to the album for a few days, have decided that I love it :biggrin: roll on October!

Quick Reply