The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
This doesn't affect me at all but would this USSD vulnerability affect rooted/ROM'd phones?

I believe not, I think the only code my S2 can do on CM10 is *#06# which gives the phone's IMEI.

(I would like to confirm but I don't really want to test my theory with the hard reset code :wink:)
Reply 8181
It seems to be a Touchwiz issue that USSD numbers are dialled automatically without confirmation. In stock (and most custom dialers?) a dial confirmation is needed.
Reply 8182
Using Chrome as a your default browser should also protect against this.
Original post by estel

I always do :cool:

It's a shame that it stops responding so often on CM10 - when it does work it's brilliant. I tried using a more stable browser like Dolphin but it just didn't feel as good no matter what :frown:
Original post by estel

Just downloaded chrome. Lack of flash support is a bit annoying though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Karma Charger
Just downloaded chrome. Lack of flash support is a bit annoying though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just don't see where flash in browsers is ever useful on a phone to be honest - where do you actually use flash?
Original post by Intriguing Alias
I just don't see where flash in browsers is ever useful on a phone to be honest - where do you actually use flash?

I use sites such as BBC sport, sky sports etc... flash is useful in these instances.
It's possible to see if you may be vulnerable to the exploit by clicking this link on your phone. If your IMEI number is displayed you're probably vulnerable; if nothing happens or it simply shows numbers in the dialler, you're not. A third party dialler like Dialer One is said to provide protection against the exploit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by whyumadtho
It's possible to see if you may be vulnerable to the exploit by clicking this link on your phone. If your IMEI number is displayed you're probably vulnerable; if nothing happens or it simply shows numbers in the dialler, you're not. A third party dialler like Dialer One is said to provide protection against the exploit.

What is this exploit anyway?
Original post by James A

Read estel's post above.
Original post by James A
It automatically enters and dials codes. Since Samsung phones running TouchWiz have a code that allows a user to perform a data wipe (it doesn't even allow confirmation for some reason: the moment the code is entered it begins and doesn't give an option to cancel :s-smilie:), by clicking a hyperlink like the one above, the code will be entered into your phone and your data will be wiped. If the link above brings up your IMEI code it shows your phone may be vulnerable because it has dialled the code automatically and can do the same thing with the code for data wiping. You can read more about it here.
Original post by whyumadtho
It automatically enters and dials codes. Since Samsung phones running TouchWiz have a code that allows a user to perform a data wipe (it doesn't even allow confirmation for some reason: the moment the code is entered it begins and doesn't give an option to cancel :s-smilie:), by clicking a hyperlink like the one above, the code will be entered into your phone and your data will be wiped. If the link above brings up your IMEI code it shows your phone may be vulnerable because it has dialled the code automatically and can do the same thing with the code for data wiping. You can read more about it here.

nice, yeah I have a HTC desire hd now and yet im gonna upgrade to the s3 soon, but the article said that the latest firmware should fix the issue. I'm hoping anyway
Reply 8193

This isn't a fix that was in response to the disclosure this week, it was already fixed (intentional or not) in the latest S3 firmware. It's still not fixed for all the other devices running affected.
hey guys, got a little question. Does anyone know what sort of an upgrade deal i might expect?

I currently got a HTC desire hd on Orange, 200 minutes, unlimited texts, 500mb data but i wanna switch to the samsung galaxy s3 (and obv stay on orange, also i will be entitled to EE4G).

Does anyone know how the deals go as far as upgrades are concerned? do you stay on your same mobile plan but just gotta pay for the new handset itself?

thanks bros
Reply 8195
So my phone is due for an upgrade, I'm currently using an Xperia x8. The options I have are, to the best that I can see, the £15 a month deals here. Thinking of the galaxy ace plus, any thoughts? I was thinking that or the HTC one V, but that's out of stock.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8196
Original post by James A
hey guys, got a little question. Does anyone know what sort of an upgrade deal i might expect?

I currently got a HTC desire hd on Orange, 200 minutes, unlimited texts, 500mb data but i wanna switch to the samsung galaxy s3 (and obv stay on orange, also i will be entitled to EE4G).

Does anyone know how the deals go as far as upgrades are concerned? do you stay on your same mobile plan but just gotta pay for the new handset itself?

thanks bros

Depends, sometimes you get a new handset for the same plan, sometimes you pay a smaller amount for the handset (compared to retail). If you want you can just renew the contract, tends to be cheaper if you don't get a new handset from the company.
Original post by A.J10
Depends, sometimes you get a new handset for the same plan, sometimes you pay a smaller amount for the handset (compared to retail). If you want you can just renew the contract, tends to be cheaper if you don't get a new handset from the company.

hmm, yeah if i renew the contract for instance, is it two years again?

I reckon my desire hd can last another two years, it's a reliable phone so far. Plus I use screen protection and a case to protect my baby :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 8198
Original post by James A
hmm, yeah if i renew the contract for instance, is it two years again?

I reckon my desire hd can last another two years, it's a reliable phone so far. Plus I use screen protection and a case to protect my baby :biggrin::biggrin:

If you can, you might as well nab a free phone :biggrin: It's what I'm doing now, but I'm so indecisive...
Original post by A.J10
So my phone is due for an upgrade, I'm currently using an Xperia x8. The options I have are, to the best that I can see, the £15 a month deals here. Thinking of the galaxy ace plus, any thoughts? I was thinking that or the HTC one V, but that's out of stock.

What do you need in terms of minutes/texts/data?

Latest

Trending

Trending