The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7560
Kristin Scott Thomas was in the first movie and she was pretty good but Ludivine Sagnier was a surprise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone ever seen 'Boys Don't Cry' with Chloe Sevigny and Hilary S****? Watched it last night randomly - pretty unbelievable that it was based on a true story :eek:
Reply 7562
Original post by sammyrifkin
Anyone ever seen 'Boys Don't Cry' with Chloe Sevigny and Hilary S****? Watched it last night randomly - pretty unbelievable that it was based on a true story :eek:

I've seen most of it - the disc failed with some of it left. :mad: Hilary S. was excellent in that, I thought. :yep:
Went to watch an Untouchable screening last week - it was incredible! Been wanting to watch it for ages so it was great to see it french, although I would have paid!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7564
Watched Paprika on the big screen last night, what a wonderful and whimsical film. I can now finally see where Christopher Nolan got the idea of inception from. :holmes:
Thinking of watching March of the Penguins again sometime. Man, I love that film. :penguinhug:
Reply 7566
Fargo to be turned into a TV series

I am instinctively suspicious and worried about this. :holmes:
I watched Ghost World. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.
Reply 7568
I watched "Albert Nobbs" last night. It wasn't something special, maybe a little boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7569
Original post by sheep_go_baa
I watched Ghost World. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.

Good stuff. :biggrin: Whatever happened to Thora Birch? Ghost World, American Beauty, and then she kind of disappeared.

Also, have you read the Ghost World comics/graphic novel from which the film was adapted? That's really good as well. :h:

Original post by lassGR
I watched "Albert Nobbs" last night. It wasn't something special, maybe a little boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree it wasn't anything particularly special (let down quite a lot by some of the acting, I felt) but I do think it was a bit underrated in the end. I don't think it was a bad film. :beard:
Hyperboles abound for Looper:

UK-based film magazines Empire and Total Film both gave the film a five-star review (denoting 'outstanding') with the latter saying that it's "The best sci-fi movie since Moon. The best time-travel yarn since 12 Monkeys. And one of the best films of 2012."

I was thinking of checking out Rian Johnson's other films such as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. Has anyone here seen them?
Reply 7571
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Hyperboles abound for Looper:

I was thinking of checking out Rian Johnson's other films such as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. Has anyone here seen them?

I really liked Brick. :yep:
Since it was on Sky Anytime I saw the US version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo again.

I really think it's a good take on the source material (still glad they didn't try and do a half arsed remake of the Swedish film), though at times it was hard to imagine Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist. He has that same brisk energy that he has as Bond which felt out of place.

Hopefully they continue to shoot the next two in the series though, that's where they can really make ground on the Swedish versions (which IMO got worse as it progressed)
Reply 7573
Original post by Abiraleft

I don't think it was a bad film. :beard:

That's for sure. And the acting was pretty good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7574
Original post by lassGR
That's for sure. And the acting was pretty good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought Close and McTeer (and in more minor roles, Brendan Gleeson and Maria Doyle Kennedy) were pretty good, but I wasn't impressed by Wasikowska or Johnson at all. And I think perhaps the reason it seemed a bit boring is because it took so long just to scratch at the surface of a psychology, and didn't really go much deeper (it sort of tried to at certain points - like the reverse-cross-dressing scene - with what I thought was mixed success).
How did I only just find this thread?!

This is awesome!

Did anybody happen to catch "A Single Man" on BBC1 a week or so ago? Such a good film!
Colin Firth, Nick Hoult, Julianne Moore and Matthew Goode! I recommend you watch it, it's really touching. :smile:
Reply 7576
Original post by lizolove
How did I only just find this thread?!

This is awesome!

Did anybody happen to catch "A Single Man" on BBC1 a week or so ago? Such a good film!
Colin Firth, Nick Hoult, Julianne Moore and Matthew Goode! I recommend you watch it, it's really touching. :smile:

Welcome! :biggrin:

I haven't watched A Single Man, but I'm sure I saw the DVD somewhere in my room at some point (possibly rented or brought over by a friend), so I probably intended to. :colondollar:

In other news, a true story has been inspired by Catch Me If You Can which was inspired by a true story. :awesome:
Original post by Abiraleft
Welcome! :biggrin:

I haven't watched A Single Man, but I'm sure I saw the DVD somewhere in my room at some point (possibly rented or brought over by a friend), so I probably intended to. :colondollar:

In other news, a true story has been inspired by Catch Me If You Can which was inspired by a true story. :awesome:

Thank you! :biggrin:

You should watch it! I saw it on iPlayer a few weeks ago, it was fantastic! Colin Firth is such a good actor! Such a dramatic film, I loved it! :smile:
:O Oooh!
Brad Pitt sticking his chin out in Inglourious Basterds when he is pretending to be Italian, to look like Marlon Brando in the Godfather is the most annoying and cheesy thing I have ever seen in a film, but that sums up Quentin Tarantino. You can just imagine him describing this part to Brad. Since when do all Italians have massive chins? We know Tarantino has seen just about every movie but he doesn't have to show off his 'great knowledge' by incorporating bits of every movie ever invented into the films he directs.
Reply 7579
Original post by kratos90
Brad Pitt sticking his chin out in Inglourious Basterds when he is pretending to be Italian, to look like Marlon Brando in the Godfather is the most annoying and cheesy thing I have ever seen in a film, but that sums up Quentin Tarantino. You can just imagine him describing this part to Brad. Since when do all Italians have massive chins? We know Tarantino has seen just about every movie but he doesn't have to show off his 'great knowledge' by incorporating bits of every movie ever invented into the films he directs.

I didn't even understand on what level that plan was meant to even pretend to succeed.

I thought that film was pretty **** and I might be mistaken but the last really good Tarantino film I can remember was Dawn til Dusk and that's only because I like vampire films :dontknow:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest