The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Glad I made the decision to put in RG3 this week. He has been out-scoring Brady with ease.
@BrandonSpikes55
Can someone please tell these ****ing zebras foot locker called and they’re needed Back at work !!!! #BreakingPoint

Brandon Spikes with this hilarious tweet on what we are all thinking of the replacements refs.
Not that the Packers played well, but they got truly shafted last night. This is beyond a joke now.
Goodell reach an agreement with the Referees please! might stop watching and stay with CFB till the real ones are back.
anyone got a fantasy team on NFLUK? if so message my wall and we can all join a TSR league
On the topic of the Pats Ravens game, although my team got the win, the officials were terrible and the players on both teams know it. The refs have little control over that games and it's starting to show as more teams are taking a few more cheap shots. When the refs try to tighten up on the game, they seemed to call pretty much anything and everything (obviously some missed calls as well in between). The problem was half of the penalties weren't even there and the game just couldn't flow with penalties coming after every other play. The game had probably the most defensive holding calls of any game I've ever watched! The commentators were getting on to the refs about it, and the crowd sure told them what they thought of the refs. This needs sorting out, and soon!

Moving away from all the officiating talk, the game was played well by both teams, but I'm worried about the play of our (Ravens) defense, we seem to be leaking a few more yards to teams compared to other years :/
**** you NFL. Pay the refs you greedy bastards.
Original post by RabbitCFH

The problem is, it's probably going to get better before it gets worse. The refs, knowing how desperate the fans are for them (and the fact they're angry with the league rather than them), will hold out for every single penny they've asked for, as they know the NFL is going to have to compromise sooner rather than later. And, from the (potentially) reliable source of ESPN, the referees are asking for quite a lot more than they had before - really, I don't see why more people aren't getting angry with the refs and not just the NFL.
Original post by shunter7634
The problem is, it's probably going to get better before it gets worse. The refs, knowing how desperate the fans are for them (and the fact they're angry with the league rather than them), will hold out for every single penny they've asked for, as they know the NFL is going to have to compromise sooner rather than later. And, from the (potentially) reliable source of ESPN, the referees are asking for quite a lot more than they had before - really, I don't see why more people aren't getting angry with the refs and not just the NFL.

According to this website, 'rookies [i.e. rookie refs] made more than $75,000. The most senior refs just under $200,000.' I think it's little compared to what players make, especially considering the importance of their role.
Reply 4489

why what would they have done different?

the replacements made the right call, the only calls they got wildly wrong last night were defensive PI calls on both teams (Kam Chancellor and Sam Shields).

And a whole lot of missed holding (but the regular refs **** that up too)
Original post by munn

the replacements made the right call, the only calls they got wildly wrong last night were defensive PI calls on both teams (Kam Chancellor and Sam Shields).

And a whole lot of missed holding (but the regular refs **** that up too)

Are you saying that this was the right call? click
lol
As a Seattle fan I think we deserved the win anyway. GB's last scoring drive was riddled with mysterious penalties against the Seahawks so all is fair. I'd still say GB is better than Seattle but yesterday Seattle were the better team.
Was about to say of course the NFL believe they got it right but we all know bull****, pay the refs before this season is ruined.
Original post by munn

Called the OPI that Tate clearly did on Shields. The NFL admits this. The article you posted says the play, by rule, shouldn't have been overturned because the missed OPI is not reviewable and the video on the simultaneous possession wasn't conclusive. The first is just a fact, the second is probably true. But the fact that the OPI that would have killed the play and the game was missed is also a fact.
Reply 4496
Original post by The Troll Toll
Called the OPI that Tate clearly did on Shields. The NFL admits this. The article you posted says the play, by rule, shouldn't have been overturned because the missed OPI is not reviewable and the video on the simultaneous possession wasn't conclusive. The first is just a fact, the second is probably true. But the fact that the OPI that would have killed the play and the game was missed is also a fact.

OPI happens on nearly every hail mary pass attempt and is rarely called

the worst call made in the game last night was DPI on this (instead of 4th down and a punt, the Packers get a 1st, and of course the drive ends with their only TD of the game):

the second worst call was the defensive pass interference call by sam shields on sidney rice at about 6.15 to go in the 4th quarter. i can't find a gif of it unfortunately, but it was pretty much an equally bad call, but ranks second because it was a 1st down pass attempt as opposed to a drive-extending bad call

missing the OPI in the endzone always happens, just watch the video on nfl.com of Fitz and Eric Davis talking about Hail Mary's and how they'd both be doing whatever they can to interfere because they know those calls are never made
Original post by munn
OPI happens on nearly every hail mary pass attempt and is rarely called

the worst call made in the game last night was DPI on this (instead of 4th down and a punt, the Packers get a 1st, and of course the drive ends with their only TD of the game):

the second worst call was the defensive pass interference call by sam shields on sidney rice at about 6.15 to go in the 4th quarter. i can't find a gif of it unfortunately, but it was pretty much an equally bad call, but ranks second because it was a 1st down pass attempt as opposed to a drive-extending bad call

missing the OPI in the endzone always happens, just watch the video on nfl.com of Fitz and Eric Davis talking about Hail Mary's and how they'd both be doing whatever they can to interfere because they know those calls are never made

Nah, the worst call was the roughing the passer called on Walden on a perfectly good and legitimate tackle in the 4th quarter that overturned a Packers interception deep in Seahawks territory. I've a feeling this competition could go a while - there were a LOT of terrible calls.
Reply 4498
Original post by shunter7634
Nah, the worst call was the roughing the passer called on Walden on a perfectly good and legitimate tackle in the 4th quarter that overturned a Packers interception deep in Seahawks territory. I've a feeling this competition could go a while - there were a LOT of terrible calls.

first thing i thought when I saw that was it was close, but Walden had already started diving towards the QB when he released it and it was a poor call.
Second thing I thought was that the corner that caught the ball failed to get two feet down in bounds so it was never an interception (which the official also motioned for)

The refereeing last night was the worst I can recall since Superbowl XL, it's just a shame the entire focus is on the last play and not the multitude of poor calls which cost both teams well over 100 yards
i've literally just seen this video now:

That's a catch by Tate - and a damn good one-handed one too, he catches and stops it dead before jennings gets his hands on it, and from watching any other video it's evident that his left hand maintains firm possession through the entire catch (his right hand comes off but it doesn't make a difference; he has possession)
It's just a shame he'll probably never get credit for it
(edited 11 years ago)
According to this website, 'rookies [i.e. rookie refs] made more than $75,000. The most senior refs just under $200,000.' I think it's little compared to what players make, especially considering the importance of their role.

Guess I was wrong - the refs are back! :woo: :biggrin:

Latest