The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emahwoowoo
Totally agree with this! My bf didn't seem fussed at all about leaving for uni and us being apart in the weeks leading up to it, and I knew he was excited to be moving and meeting people. But when I left him he got really quiet and pulled his sad face :frown: Boys like to act brave and tough and be manly and strong and they don't like to show when they're feeling sad. Chances are he's feeling some pretty mixed emotions right now about moving and leaving. Don't worry too much, just focus on enjoying the time you have left and let him go with some great memories of you :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by CupcakeFaerie
Totally agree with the emotions. I've sometimes been so tempted to just shout 'SHOW SOME EMOTION! PLEASE.'

Will not check my phone....will not check my phone....I can't stop checking my phone and sending him random texts D: Even though I know he's too busy to answer them :frown:

I can vouch for this, with my girlfriend I tried to hold back the emotion till the day I had to say goodbye and the tears came flooding. Have to try so hard to be brave, so as to reassure her and make sure she sees that if I am strong she can be too. Guess a balance is needed between being strong and showing emotion, but don't doubt that he'll be having mixed emotions.

I am doing exactly the same CupcakeFaerie :\
Original post by newworld
How can one deal with a long distance relationship. i want to know how it works

skynplanet.com

Funny, I just posted a similar thing on another thread

Before I say I think you should bare in mind (in most cases, Long distance, doesn't work) however, this is not to say there aren't exceptions.

1. Speak as regular as possible & keep in contact so: phone calls, skype, texts
2. Try arrange times when you can meet if she is going somewhere near you or vice verse
3. You need that trust having arguments over stuff like who were you with especially when you can't talk face to face to resolve it are usually the start of a bitter ending.

That is really all there is to it, its hard but as long as you communicate ..communicate...communicate it may only just strengthen your relationship when you get back together.
Original post by madders94
I'm technically in a LDR, but not as long distance as for many of you. My fiance is 27 and he's back where I live, in full-time work. We've been together nearly two years and I've just started at university around two hours away from him, which doesn't sound like much but when petrol/bus fare money is expensive, it's a lot :sad: as you can probably tell by the fact that we're engaged, we have a pretty intense relationship - we know what we want in the future and we've planned it in detail, so we're not exactly in any danger of breaking up!
I think I'm handling the distance better than he is, he sees Facebook pictures of me partying and drinking and feels left out, but he's said he never wants me to not go out or miss anything for fear of how it would affect him - he's incredibly selfless and always puts others first, which can sometimes result in him being left out. I text him so often, we call each other every day and video chat frequently too, which makes it a little easier, but I do miss him - I used to see him so often that even the past two weeks it's been really difficult, because the distance feels a lot more than it is. We know we're going to get through it - the whole reason I'm at uni is so that I can get a job and we can support a family! - but I hope I'm ok to post in here... I think having somewhere to rant about the distance will help :redface:

Just saying, I live two hours away from my boyfriend too and definitely consider it to be an LDR :smile: better off than a lot of LDR couples but it's still difficult! When it costs £25+ for example to see each other, or just generally when you can't see each other at regular intervals then it's not a normal relationship - distance is affecting how often you see each other, so :tongue:

Don't feel bad at all about posting here, really :h: no one should be bothered about the "validity" of your LDR, that'd just be really petty and from what I've experienced with this thread already, then no one will be bothered!
:sigh: ^ that was me :colondollar: I always forget to click off anon.
I had 3500 miles. And different continents between my husband and I for a year.

It's hard.

Especially when a woman decided to pursue him and then started sending him Facebook messages, then emailing him pictures!

She was nothing short of shocked when she found out I'd been reading everything all along!
Original post by Anonymous
It's really upsetting that my boyfriend isn't fussed about the last time we're going to see each other. It really hurts. :cry2:

just to reinforce what other people have said he probably does care. I was feeling sad a couple of weeks before we parted but i didn't really let on, kept a brave face for her and just tried to make the last few weeks feel like normal.

She came round in the morning ( i was leaving in the afternoon) and we both just burst into tears. chances are he's probably upset but putting on a brave face, on the day you say goodbye he'll be feeling it even if he chooses not to show it. If he's not showing it it's cos he's trying to make it easier for you :smile:
I must have one of the only guys who shows his emotions really easily. We had a bit of a cry a few times leading up to when I left, and the day we said goodbye he was in a worse state than me, which made me worse.

Not sure how I'm going to cope with another two weeks tbh :frown:
Original post by TotalLifeForever
I can vouch for this, with my girlfriend I tried to hold back the emotion till the day I had to say goodbye and the tears came flooding. Have to try so hard to be brave, so as to reassure her and make sure she sees that if I am strong she can be too. Guess a balance is needed between being strong and showing emotion, but don't doubt that he'll be having mixed emotions.

I am doing exactly the same CupcakeFaerie :\

Ahh it's really hard though! Cause texting is just not the same as seeing someone face to face :frown: Had a really nice skype session the other day and we spoke loads about missing each other and how we can get through this, and how its not long before we see each other again :smile: Only problem is he only does this through skype or when we're seeing each other. I never know how he's feeling through text :frown: And we only skype about once or twice a week >.<

Hope you're feeling ok though :smile: x
Original post by CupcakeFaerie
Ahh it's really hard though! Cause texting is just not the same as seeing someone face to face :frown: Had a really nice skype session the other day and we spoke loads about missing each other and how we can get through this, and how its not long before we see each other again :smile: Only problem is he only does this through skype or when we're seeing each other. I never know how he's feeling through text :frown: And we only skype about once or twice a week >.<

Hope you're feeling ok though :smile: x

No it really isn't, but at least you can have those Skype sessions every so often. Doing the same with my girlfriend and it really does help put us both in a happy smiley mood, being able to see each other and chat properly. I can only echo what I read above which was good advice, he isn't his phone, and chances are that he is missing you loads and thinking about you even if not texting those feelings! It's not easy but that's an LDR I guess, sounds like he wants it to work :smile:

Thanks I am, and you! x
Reply 8749
Hello everyone! I've been on this thread before and my LDR relationship didn't work out so I was hoping that I wouldn't be back on here, but alas, I stupidly fell in love with a royal marine.

We've been together for just over a year and things have been great - I was at uni last year nearby where he was based and we spent pretty much every weekend together, plus whenever he got leave.

However, 3 weeks ago he was deployed to Afghanistan for a seven month tour. I knew about it the whole time we were dating but I really didn't anticipate how hard it would be. Not only is it long distance, but the times we can contact each other and by what means are so limited. I send him a letter every day and he calls me once or twice a week but that's it. It's horrible.

Also, I am going back for my second year of uni tomorrow and I am dreading it. I associate that place with him as we spent a lot of time there together. Plus, the people I am living with are very bitchy girls who I fell out with over the summer so am not particularly looking forward to going back. Also, I am worried about leaving my family as they have been vital the last couple of weeks getting me through adjusting to him being gone. So I am very nervous and scared about going back to uni.

And in addition to all of this, he may be killed at any minute! I know that it's still very unlikely and in most cases the troops return home unscathed but I know that he is in the most dangerous place out there and its easy to think the worse and so many what ifs.

I will scour this thread to see if I can find some similar experiences but otherwise any advice is welcome! I just feel very lost right now and a bit hopeless. How do people cope with something like this?

Original post by Arielle
Hello everyone! I've been on this thread before and my LDR relationship didn't work out so I was hoping that I wouldn't be back on here, but alas, I stupidly fell in love with a royal marine.

We've been together for just over a year and things have been great - I was at uni last year nearby where he was based and we spent pretty much every weekend together, plus whenever he got leave.

However, 3 weeks ago he was deployed to Afghanistan for a seven month tour. I knew about it the whole time we were dating but I really didn't anticipate how hard it would be. Not only is it long distance, but the times we can contact each other and by what means are so limited. I send him a letter every day and he calls me once or twice a week but that's it. It's horrible.

Also, I am going back for my second year of uni tomorrow and I am dreading it. I associate that place with him as we spent a lot of time there together. Plus, the people I am living with are very bitchy girls who I fell out with over the summer so am not particularly looking forward to going back. Also, I am worried about leaving my family as they have been vital the last couple of weeks getting me through adjusting to him being gone. So I am very nervous and scared about going back to uni.

And in addition to all of this, he may be killed at any minute! I know that it's still very unlikely and in most cases the troops return home unscathed but I know that he is in the most dangerous place out there and its easy to think the worse and so many what ifs.

I will scour this thread to see if I can find some similar experiences but otherwise any advice is welcome! I just feel very lost right now and a bit hopeless. How do people cope with something like this?

:hugs: Hello.

My Dad's been in the RAF since before I was born so he's always been off about somewhere - Afghanistan, Iraq, Egypt, The Falkands. The best thing is to keep communicating and just take it day by day. Turn off the news and don't watch it when they talk about soldiers etc. because it's just not helpful and will only upset and worry you.

Get your head down with uni work and time will fly :console:
Eurgh, sorry. That was me.
Reply 8752
I haven't been on here in along time, me and my Ex split up over 3 months ago ;O
If someone is kind enough to not object to an uncontrolled rant, I really would like to talk to someone about what's going on with my LDR. Is there a possibility that I could PM someone? :erm:
Original post by KingMessi
If someone is kind enough to not object to an uncontrolled rant, I really would like to talk to someone about what's going on with my LDR. Is there a possibility that I could PM someone? :erm:

Me?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Original post by Natalie21
Me?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire

Thank you so much - I'm just writing it now.
Thank you so much - I'm just writing it now.

I've replied :smile:
Original post by Natalie21
I've replied :smile:

Thank you. Likewise. :smile:

Hey mate I'd be happy to as well :smile:
Hey guys,
Boyfriend left for university yesterday, i'm kind of finding it hard to deal with the missing feeling :/. Does anyone have any good advice? I'm trying to concentrate on studies and other things to busy myself but I look at something and it triggers the feeling again :frown:.. I slept so badly last night and I thought i'd deal with it better than this :frown:.
Anyway I love him so much and I know this is all worth it but god is it painful!

Latest

Trending

Trending