The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boumavilla
Angels are my favourite "alien/monster", what you will. Today's episode justified my favouritism! :h:

Today was officially my last chance with Doctor Who because recent episodes became boring and cringy imo however tonight's episode was brilliant!

The angels saved the day, great ending!

Definitely agree with that. I think the weeping angels just add that bit of suspense that the others don't really do. It's always a treat treat when an episode involves them.
One of the best episodes ever. Perfect send off, beautifully written.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Definitely agree with that. I think the weeping angels just add that bit of suspense that the others don't really do. It's always a treat treat when an episode involves them.

I've watched the introduction episode of the angels about 20 times I think. They are that great! It is a little like Torchwood, which is basically a grown up version of Doctor Who where things can be a little bit scarier.
Reply 8823
Can't even...Oh my gosh. :cry:
That was an incredible episode, but so bitter-sweet. A Pond Farewell.
Original post by Miracle Day
Amy turned around and blocked the Doctor's view of the angel

rofl worst excuse ever. He could have gone and stood right up to it so it would be impossible for amy to effectively do that.

Doesn't explain also the inconsistency of the angels suddenly moving as fast as a bolt of lightning one minute then slow as snails the other. Bad writing.
Original post by boumavilla
I've watched the introduction episode of the angels about 20 times I think. They are that great! It is a little like Torchwood, which is basically a grown up version of Doctor Who where things can be a little bit scarier.

I think the first episode where they mentioned the angels was great. I do actually think that episode is really good.
I've seen torchwood, not the biggest fan of it, but its alright.
Original post by Sithius

rofl worst excuse ever. He could have gone and stood right up to it so it would be impossible for amy to effectively do that.

At which point he has to not be looking at it in order to talk to Amy, and bam - he's zapped back in time, or she blinks and gets sent back herself.

Doesn't explain also the inconsistency of the angels suddenly moving as fast as a bolt of lightning one minute then slow as snails the other. Bad writing.

Because of course everything in the world can only move at one speed, you can only walk, never jog, run or sprint. :rolleyes:
Move slowly and toy with their prey, move quickly to exploit a momentary chance :dontknow:

Not bad writing, over-demanding viewer.

Anyway, best episode of the series for me, and one of the best in a long time. Not entirely sure how the Statue of Liberty could move so far - in a bubbling metropolis like NY, surely someone has got to be looking at it at any given moment? - but overall, well written. The Angels were back towards blink standard rather than the - frankly poor - double parter in season 5. As for suicide scene & graveyard scene :cry2:
(edited 11 years ago)
I was seriously disappointed with how the episode was directed and when are they going to bring back Jenny?
Original post by Alofleicester
At which point he has to not be looking at it in order to talk to Amy, and bam - he's zapped back in time, or she blinks and gets sent back herself.

Because of course everything in the world can only move at one speed, you can only walk, never jog, run or sprint. :rolleyes:
Move slowly and toy with their prey, move quickly to exploit a momentary chance :dontknow:

Not bad writing, over-demanding viewer.

Anyway, best episode of the series for me, and one of the best in a long time. Not entirely sure how the Statue of Liberty could move so far - in a bubbling metropolis like NY, surely someone has got to be looking at it at any given moment? - but overall, well written. The Angels were back towards blink standard rather than the - frankly poor - double parter in season 5. As for suicide scene & graveyard scene :cry2:

Snatching at straws here buddy. Ever heard of peripheral vision?

And when they are snatching up 'prey' for their 'time farm', they aren't going to be toying. LOL.
Original post by Sithius

And when they are snatching up 'prey' for their 'time farm', they aren't going to be toying. LOL.

I have, but if you can see everything in your peripheral vision clear enough to notice if it moves at all, then I'm impressed. My door is currently in my peripheral vision - the ever so slight movement that would be comparable to the movement needed by the angel to get amy would be pretty much unnoticeable.

Why not? They've got them cornered, why not have some fun with their "prey", given they can't really go anywhere?
Fantastic episode. Suicide scene left me crying so hard. I'm glad the Ponds got to stay together in the end though.

Turns out there is something creepier than angels - cherubs.

The only bit I didn't like was the Statue of Liberty - why did no one see it move? How can a whole city have been not looking? And why was it necessary anyway - seemed like a fairly major plot element that they basically did nothing with. :/
Original post by Sithius

Amy was blocking the Doctor's view. River could easily have looked away/blinked. I really don't see what your problem with that bit is...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8831
Poor Rory :frown: I've lost count of his number of deaths now D:
I have, but if you can see everything in your peripheral vision clear enough to notice if it moves at all, then I'm impressed. My door is currently in my peripheral vision - the ever so slight movement that would be comparable to the movement needed by the angel to get amy would be pretty much unnoticeable.

Why not? They've got them cornered, why not have some fun with their "prey", given they can't really go anywhere?

No, the Dr would have in real life stepped right up to the statue whilst talking to Amy. It was all pathetic.

Because they knew Rorey was trying to escape and that would be disastrous... yet they moved slow as hell during that escape.

Stop trying to defend the lousy writing. If you enjoyed it good for you, but I for one did not.
Rory's dad is going to be so pissed
Original post by Sithius
No, the Dr would have in real life stepped right up to the statue whilst talking to Amy. It was all pathetic.

Because they knew Rorey was trying to escape and that would be disastrous... yet they moved slow as hell during that escape.

Stop trying to defend the lousy writing. If you enjoyed it good for you, but I for one did not.

I hate to break it to you, but the Doctor isn't real :no:

And he wouldn't have stepped that close and risked getting sent back himself...
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I hate to break it to you, but the Doctor isn't real :no:

:rofl:
Original post by Sithius

And then what? Just stand there forever? River wouldn't help him get her into the TARDIS, she supported Amy's idea. Hence he's got to either turn his back on the angel, or go behind Amy again.

Did they really? Which ones? - the ones outside the door that were being looked at and then went for the man who lives for so long that he'd produce far more time energy than Rory?
The ones on the stairs that Amy was looking at and so were stuck in the quantum lock?
The Statue of Liberty, which Amy & Rory were looking at?

It wasn't lousy writing, you are just far too over-demanding.
It wasn't lousy writing, you are just far too over-demanding.

A problem I've noticed on this thread more and more recently. Fans not being happy unless the episode goes precisely the way they want or expect it to, or if someone does something that wasn't in their understanding of the character. That's just not how TV works...
BBC, Y U NO UPLOAD IT QUICKLY?!
Need to watch it. :crazy:
Good episode, only thing I didn't like was how Rory's last scene was about nothing.

One plothole I didnt get though, why didn't Amy and Rory simply leave New York then have the doctor or river pick them up?

Latest