The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I want to do my EPQ to do with bridges and structures but I'm not sure of what title to do. Any suggestions???
Hi, I am meant to be starting the EPQ this Friday, but I still havent thought of a question. I want to do something on Alexander the Great, but can't think of a suitable question that is specific enough. Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by Senor Waffles
Hi, I am meant to be starting the EPQ this Friday, but I still havent thought of a question. I want to do something on Alexander the Great, but can't think of a suitable question that is specific enough. Any help would be appreciated.

An example title we were given at my college was something along the lines of: 'How great was Alexander the Great?'
Reply 3243
I need to have my EPQ idea sorted by Thursday, I want to do it down the lines of sport. Has anyone got any ideas on what I should base it on? anything will be helpful thanks.
Original post by LondonB
I need to have my EPQ idea sorted by Thursday, I want to do it down the lines of sport. Has anyone got any ideas on what I should base it on? anything will be helpful thanks.

Have you not be assigned a tutor for the project with whom you can discuss various ideas?

http://www.markedbyteachers.com/as-and-a-level/physical-education-sport-and-coaching/
Here are some essay's for Physical education, I know it's not quite the same thing but there may be something there that you want to write about, it may be a good starting point if you are completely lost for ideas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3245
Hey, I need help coming up with a title for my EPQ!
I'm doing it on the current consultations and possible changes in the law on same-sex marriage in the UK. I'm planning to outline a brief history of the topic, look at the views for and against, the views of people of importance in the law, and how the views of society can affect the legislation passed. I've done a lot of research and am pretty confident I can get everything I want into 5000 words but I can't come up with a title that would cover everything :frown:
I'm thinking along the lines of 'To what extent are the laws on same-sex unions influenced by society?' or 'To what extent is the law, and society in general, still discriminatory of same-sex unions?' but I need help refining it. Anyone got any suggestions?
Original post by attenboroughfan
An example title we were given at my college was something along the lines of: 'How great was Alexander the Great?'

Hmmmmm, i thought of that, but it seems a bit too obvious
Reply 3247
Right so I've just started my EPQ but haven't had a lesson yet, do you have to do a presentation in front of the class

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3248
I am starting the EPQ and I am struggling for ideas. I want to relate it to Primary Teaching as I want to do that at Uni.
I have a few ideas:
'How do teaching styles vary through Primary Education aged 4-11?' OR 'In Primary Schools, how does the behaviour of a child affect the learning of the rest of the class?' where I will focus on both good and bad behaviour!

I still don't know if they are good ideas. Does anyone have any other ideas which are similar or completely different to my ideas but as long as it's related to primary teaching?
Original post by amyyy21
I am starting the EPQ and I am struggling for ideas. I want to relate it to Primary Teaching as I want to do that at Uni.
I have a few ideas:
'How do teaching styles vary through Primary Education aged 4-11?' OR 'In Primary Schools, how does the behaviour of a child affect the learning of the rest of the class?' where I will focus on both good and bad behaviour!

I still don't know if they are good ideas. Does anyone have any other ideas which are similar or completely different to my ideas but as long as it's related to primary teaching?

They sound really good! You could look at how learning through play changes to more structured styles :smile: I'm doing mine on why girls are better readers than boys- sounds really sexist but it looks at different aspects like nature/nuture :smile:
Reply 3250
Someone help me I'n terribly confused.
I submitted my first draft of the 5000 word essay but my supervisor wants my research report. Isn't the research report the 5000 word essay? If not please explain what it is.
Hi :smile:
I was just wondering what do you actually put in your report/essay at the end? We have been told different things by teachers! I am doing a project on stress around exam time.
Original post by N0body
I submitted my first draft of the 5000 word essay but my supervisor wants my research report. Isn't the research report the 5000 word essay? If not please explain what it is.

What exam board are you on?

I'm doing Edexcel. We do an 800 word introduction, 1800 word Literature review (research report) and a 2700 word dissertation. And a conclusion and abstract.

For us, the literature review is where you explain all your terms (e.g for me I'm doing what exactly an obligation is etc etc) and use your sources and analyse those sources in terms of use and reliabilty.

Look on the website of your board and you can find information that'll explain it better than I have.
Original post by JessE1610
Hi :smile:
I was just wondering what do you actually put in your report/essay at the end? We have been told different things by teachers! I am doing a project on stress around exam time.

You address your question. It is just an extended essay.. so you will most likely gather research, discuss and compare them before concluding addressing your original query (the title).

Original post by N0body

They may be talking about the "Production Log" which for me is a report and continual evaluation of sources and my planning. I am on the AQA board, not a clue about the others although one assumes they are somewhat similar.
Reply 3254
Original post by Harriet : )
They sound really good! You could look at how learning through play changes to more structured styles :smile: I'm doing mine on why girls are better readers than boys- sounds really sexist but it looks at different aspects like nature/nuture :smile:

Thank you! Yours is a good idea as well. Yeah, I will look into that! :smile:
Reply 3255
"To what extent has Ancient Athenian society affected modern English Criminal Law?"

Not specific enough?
Too large? Too small?
Anyone have advice on a specific time period?
Also, I'm thinking about changing it from Criminal to Medical Law or Human Rights Law, are those fields to small for the EPQ in relation to the question?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3256
Trying to narrow down my question - I am interested in East Asia (Japan, Korea, China) and possibly incorporating geography, as these are what I would be interested in studying at university.

I'm trying to think of a title now, at the moment I have something like: "Is the expansion of Korean pop culture a credible example of East Asian expansion, or just another case of Westernisation?"
Is this too narrow/broad? Does it sound convincing, haha...

For geography, I was thinking of doing something on ENSO (El Nino) - can't think of a succint yet researchable question though!?

Any other ideas gratefully received!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everyone!
I reallly need help..i've done like 4000 words on my epq and showd it to my supervisor who literally said that it was crap :frown: im so stressed and ive been told that my final draft should be handed in next monday :frown:( so can anyone please help me out and tell me on what kind of ideas i cn explore? my epq is on the development in cosmetic dentistry and what factors influence it.

Also another question for those who have finished their epq..do u have to write the essay in 3rd person? cnt i write it in 1st person?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
Reply 3258
Original post by Lil Monkey
Hi everyone!
I reallly need help..i've done like 4000 words on my epq and showd it to my supervisor who literally said that it was crap :frown: im so stressed and ive been told that my final draft should be handed in next monday :frown:( so can anyone please help me out and tell me on what kind of ideas i cn explore? my epq is on the development in cosmetic dentistry and what factors influence it.

Also another question for those who have finished their epq..do u have to write the essay in 3rd person? cnt i write it in 1st person?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

Well i've made the majority third person with the few exceptions of first person which express my views. Maybe you should tell people what you've already done so that they can help.
Hi,
Just wondering how many sources you guys are using in your EPQ? I've used about ten and I've barely started :biggrin:
(so far just newspaper articles mainly though!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending