The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xanthippe
The silence are the most awful thing I've ever seen in a tv series. Seriously.

A friend of mine once almost scared me to death by drawing those kind of marks on me after I'd passed out. The horror.

OH MY GOD. :eek:
How hilariously cruel! :colone:
I was edgy yesterday when I walked past a grave yard... I can only imagine how you felt. (':
Original post by coopsyy
Love Amy and Rory, hate Matt Smith...can't be the only one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Matt Smith is great! and Amy was just as great .. Rory is debatable, but his role was always to be the bumbling companion.
Original post by getfunky!
Matt Smith is great! and Amy was just as great .. Rory is debatable, but his role was always to be the bumbling companion.

Nah, Rory was like Neville Longbottom. Starts off bumbling and a bit useless, but by the end he was kick-ass and saved the day by figuring out how to create the paradox.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Feefifofum
Nah, Rory was like Neville Longbottom. Starts of bumbling and a bit useless, but by the end he was kick-ass and saved the day by figuring out how to create the paradox.

:ditto:

My ending for HP with Neville triumphing was totally more kick-ass than the actual ending :sad:
Original post by Feefifofum
Nah, Rory was like Neville Longbottom. Starts off bumbling and a bit useless, but by the end he was kick-ass and saved the day by figuring out how to create the paradox.

He was reliable, funny, and clever in his own way:moon:
Original post by SciFiRory
exactly! creepy stuff always scares me most tbh! horror doesn't always but if something creeps me out it stays with me much longer! :eek: I hope you got out of the cemetery without being zapped back in time then!

could be yeah, they never explained the daleks return either so they don't seem as fussed with continuity this series (which is a bit of a pain but hopefully they correct it in future), he sure doesn't have much luck on that front! I think it's nice they got to live out their lives together though :smile:

I guess angels were lazy back then :biggrin: it's a good thing I didn't watch Dr Who back then- I would have been even more scared
I think them living their lives together was really sweet and touching. I understand Amy's sacrifice- after all, where else would she find someone who would guard her for 2000 years :moon:
Original post by AutVinceriAutMori
I guess angels were lazy back then :biggrin: it's a good thing I didn't watch Dr Who back then- I would have been even more scared
I think them living their lives together was really sweet and touching. I understand Amy's sacrifice- after all, where else would she find someone who would guard her for 2000 years :moon:

just as well! you a relatively new fan then? :smile: yeah, it was very sweet and stuff, true love and stuff :moon:
Reply 8947
Love being negged for giving an opinion :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just feel it went downhill with Matt Smith, because they changed everything - tardis, theme tune etc, no continuing storyline really. I think if it had stayed as RTD and hadn't changed things like that, Matt Smith would have grown on me.

Also, he's the youngest actor to play the doctor, but lately when they do closeups, his face makes him look a lot older than he is. Anyone else noticed this? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coopsyy
Love being negged for giving an opinion :rolleyes:

I often find the negs rather silly on some comments but not unexpected.

In this case I have put a neg on your post for reasons I will explain

Anyway, I just feel it went downhill with Matt Smith, because they changed everything - tardis, theme tune etc,
no continuing storyline really. I think if it had stayed as RTD and hadn't changed things like that, Matt Smith would have grown on me.

and this is why I have negged you. You have never watched doctor who before the David Tennant have you?

I mean the tardis always changes over the course of the series. There was one part of Tom Bakers run where they just went for a dark wood panel tardis design.

The theme tune frequently changes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcHgI_TIYQ

Did RTD have any continuing story? He seemed to think a story arch meant mention something a few times in a handful of episodes to have the final ep that connected to the thing that got mentioned.

Doctor who has been running for such a long time that continuity really is not that important. I mean this is a long running series that has managed to destroy Atlantis twice in two different ways.

Change is an important part of the series and while some may work better than others with others being ummm.... pretty damn uncomfortable to sit through. The first time Colin Baker is introduced after his regeneration he accuses his companion of being an evil spy and then tries to strangle her...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnodQTzi700
To be fair he was only like that in the immediate episode post regeneration and yes that was the costume he wore throughout both series he was in....

But yes change is an important part of doctor who. The show needs to change to remain fresh and interesting while also being accessible to new audiences.
Reply 8949
Original post by Politics Student
You have never watched doctor who before the David Tennant have you?.

I've watched it since it restarted with Christoper Eccleston. I haven't watched any of the classic series', quite simply because it was before I was born and I've never seen a need or want to.

So, I was referring to changes since they revived the programme, with RTD.

So feel free to neg me all you want.
Original post by coopsyy
I've watched it since it restarted with Christoper Eccleston. I haven't watched any of the classic series', quite simply because it was before I was born and I've never seen a need or want to.

So, I was referring to changes since they revived the programme, with RTD.

So feel free to neg me all you want.

Change is a key aspect of the show. I can understand why you have such issue if it has only been new who you have watched, but the show has run a lot longer than the RTD/Moffat.

Writers change and the actors change. It has to change as the programme is so long running.

At the end of the day change has been mostly for the good. ok I hated the majority of RTD episodes and I am very glad the show has changed in my opinion for the better with Moffat as lead writer. Change keeps breathing new life into the series and even rough patches with RTD and while Colin Baker was the doctor (to be fair I rather liked his darker portrayal of the doctor and the biggest issue was the writing plus budget cuts) there are a few gems to be found.

I would really recommend you give the classic series a go. Maybe give 'The seeds of doom' a try (very good story with a silly name).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Politics Student
I often find the negs rather silly on some comments but not unexpected.

In this case I have put a neg on your post for reasons I will explain

and this is why I have negged you. You have never watched doctor who before the David Tennant have you?

I mean the tardis always changes over the course of the series. There was one part of Tom Bakers run where they just went for a dark wood panel tardis design.

The theme tune frequently changes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcHgI_TIYQ

Did RTD have any continuing story? He seemed to think a story arch meant mention something a few times in a handful of episodes to have the final ep that connected to the thing that got mentioned.

Doctor who has been running for such a long time that continuity really is not that important. I mean this is a long running series that has managed to destroy Atlantis twice in two different ways.

Change is an important part of the series and while some may work better than others with others being ummm.... pretty damn uncomfortable to sit through. The first time Colin Baker is introduced after his regeneration he accuses his companion of being an evil spy and then tries to strangle her...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnodQTzi700
To be fair he was only like that in the immediate episode post regeneration and yes that was the costume he wore throughout both series he was in....

But yes change is an important part of doctor who. The show needs to change to remain fresh and interesting while also being accessible to new audiences.

Just because something has happened before (known or unknown) doesn't make it good. Also, I don't see why people have to have watched every episode ever of Doctor Who before they are allowed an opinion; making judgements based on the new series is perfectly acceptable - and I agree that there seem to be more plot holes in series 6 onwards than series 1-5. Some things could have been much better explained or explained earlier - RTD usually wrapped things up nicely, where SM has left things open for 1/2+ series - some people don't like that.
Reply 8952
Original post by rmhumphries
Just because something has happened before (known or unknown) doesn't make it good. Also, I don't see why people have to have watched every episode ever of Doctor Who before they are allowed an opinion; making judgements based on the new series is perfectly acceptable - and I agree that there seem to be more plot holes in series 6 onwards than series 1-5. Some things could have been much better explained or explained earlier - RTD usually wrapped things up nicely, where SM has left things open for 1/2+ series - some people don't like that.

Thank you. Don't see why its so unacceptable to have not seen any of the classic series, when most of us weren't even alive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, finally saw it. Terrific episode.
Original post by coopsyy
Thank you. Don't see why its so unacceptable to have not seen any of the classic series, when most of us weren't even alive

I was alive but a few years old when the show ended, I knew what Dr Who was though and when the new series came on I got a few dvds of it from Lovefilm and liked it.

I would say though that with the bulk of information out there about the show its kinda silly to not know about the show even from Wikipedia.

The classic Who was a total different show and amazing in its own way.
Original post by Colonel.
Yeah, finally saw it. Terrific episode.

I know! What's your verdict on Amy and Rory's exit?
Original post by lizolove
I know! What's your verdict on Amy and Rory's exit?

Yeah, it was the only way they could go without dying and still being together. So it works. Kind of emotional at times, would have been better if Gillen could act.
Original post by Colonel.
Yeah, it was the only way they could go without dying and still being together. So it works. Kind of emotional at times, would have been better if Gillen could act.

True! I guess it was somewhat predictable in that sense. Although the jumping off the building thing made it look like that'd be how they went. :eek:
It was so emotional, but so brilliant!

You don't like Karen?! :eek:
I thought her acting was brilliant. I'll miss her. :frown:
Saying that, the new companion looks pretty good. :smile:
I really enjoyed her acting in episode 1. :smile:
Only just saw the episode - thought it was great. I liked the book concept - I didn't see it coming so when the Doctor suddenly realises he's reading about Rory that was a cool change of tone. Thought the acting was very good considering the temptation to overact with a script like that - I like the Doctor's reaction after reading the chapters, and Amy and Rory's exchange on the rooftop. I kept thinking that I would kill myself in that position for the reasons given in the show, but didn't expect it to go that way.

Flicked through the last few pages: people need to complain about plot holes less. I'd rather have inconsistencies and unexplained things than restrict the show. I do think they could have made the episode a special feature length one though.

EDIT: Also, just realised that when Amy reads ahead, the doctor breaks something - but then the doctor breaks nothing: River breaks her own wrist...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by paddyman4
EDIT: Also, just realised that when Amy reads ahead, the doctor breaks something - but then the doctor breaks nothing: River breaks her own wrist...

See if this is the story arc of being able to magically change events personally known to the individual, then this is too subtle for most people to notice.

Latest