The Student Room Group

The Cambridge Chat Thread's Starter for Ten - 'No, you lose five points!'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Topaz_eyes
Also, RE the conversation from the last thread - http://cambridgetab.co.uk/debate/why-waxing-can-be-feminist

If waxing was done for health reasons then I would expect men to also do it. Since very few do it would appear to be predominately for the appearance.
Reply 21
Original post by Craghyrax
Can't you guys band together and all set up filters to block emails from him?

So are you finishing your degree now?

That's a pretty good idea actually...

Yep! Part II astro again, and trying to stay well all year.

Original post by Topaz_eyes

Ask your housemate to show you the latest email...
Topaz eyes: I see where the writer is coming from, but I think she's being a bit defensive. I don't agree that I'm being offensive or unfair to Cambridge women by assuming that they wax because they are brainwashed by society. Why? Because I am an intelligent, self aware and independent women who nonetheless feels the impact of society's expectations about my appearances. Given that I'm pretty far out on the scale of independence, resistence to norms etc, it doesn't seem an unreasonable assumption that other women are consciously or unconsciously affected by how their fellow human beings see them. Being aware of an influence doesn't magically make you able to resist it. In my case it just makes me lament that I am succumbing to it :p:

Also I don't think that everybody who objects to the downsides of a given set of beauty standards has to also be saying at the same time that people are wrong to like that standard. It is possible for both preferences to exist side by side. The issue at the moment is that there is a dominating and oppressive preference for on over the other, instead of a situation in which people genuinely live and let live.

Original post by alex_hk90
If waxing was done for health reasons then I would expect men to also do it. Since very few do it would appear to be predominately for the appearance.

Actually I researched it, and removing hair is actually unhealthy. It irritates sensitive skin, causes in grown hairs that get infected and stuff like that :s-smilie:
Topaz eyes: I see where the writer is coming from, but I think she's being a bit defensive. I don't agree that I'm being offensive or unfair to Cambridge women by assuming that they wax because they are brainwashed by society. Why? Because I am an intelligent, self aware and independent women who nonetheless feels the impact of society's expectations about my appearances. Given that I'm pretty far out on the scale of independence, resistence to norms etc, it doesn't seem an unreasonable assumption that other women are consciously or unconsciously affected by how their fellow human beings see them. Being aware of an influence doesn't magically make you able to resist it. In my case it just makes me lament that I am succumbing to it :p:

Also I don't think that everybody who objects to the downsides of a given set of beauty standards has to also be saying at the same time that people are wrong to like that standard. It is possible for both preferences to exist side by side. The issue at the moment is that there is a dominating and oppressive preference for on over the other, instead of a situation in which people genuinely live and let live.

I agree. :smile:

And on that topic, I don't really care if a woman goes 'European' and doesn't shave/wax/whatever. Similarly on the eyebrows thing I don't think I really notice unless they are extremely thick/thin/etc. But I'm relatively sure I'm not the norm here (or, as it happens, in most cases :tongue:).
Reply 24
I dunno, I feel the same as you Alex. My girlfriend doesn't shave her legs and I am fine with that. I think that most blokes wouldn't mind.

I don't think that I have ever noticed anybody's eyebrows.
Reply 25
*sneakily subscribes and hopes no-one notices that he said he was going to be offline for a bit...*

Original post by smilepea
That's a pretty good idea actually...

Yep! Part II astro again, and trying to stay well all year.

Ask your housemate to show you the latest email...

Yeah I heard about that one, and I have no words to describe how appalled I am by it. As far as I can tell he's just a ****er.

Yes, he's been told to "leave us alone" but I don't think that'll have much effect as he seems to have set up a mailing list for part II astros (it's definitely not a department thing as there wasn't one two years ago...)

From what I've seen, you've just started mocking him. And then he responds with thirteen (thirteen! we counted!) paragraphs explaining everything that could possibly be taken from the single most charitable reading of the mocking emails, and appointing himself leader of tribal council.

In other news, I have an astrophysicist friend :smile:

Original post by Zoedotdot
I think he would probably sail you out there himself on a raft made of his own bookshelves :p: So I doubt you need to worry about permission.

Mental image of the day.

Original post by Melz0r
So I mentioned it to my 4th year diss supervisor (who also supervised me for my YA diss and in second year) and she was all like YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. And so has everyone I've mentioned it to today. So the DoS has been emailed! Fingers crossed.

I concur with your dissertation supervisor. Also, as the Catzperson on this thread, I will have to assume the role of Paxman here. Hurry up! Post faster! You're not just here for a nice chat! (Can we have some kind of bonus thread? And can the next one be an Only Connect reference? Incidentally, if any of you haven't played the Connecting Wall game, bang goes your weekend. Sixteen clues, split them into four groups of four while Victoria Coren tells you how wrong you are, then identify the groups. Some red herrings and clues that fit in multiple groups, only one solution, not as easy as it sounds. And while you're there, watch a few episodes so I have someone to obsess with...)
Reply 26

:ditto: I cringe whenever anybody says it. It also sounds really American for some reason.

Can't disagree. Obviously not american in origin, but just seems like it...

Also, success, I'm claiming this as a second thread title in a row!

Original post by lp386
And while you're there, watch a few episodes so I have someone to obsess with...)

Pfft, everyone loves only connect.

Edit- FWIW, I think I've done more eyebrow plucking (it's kinda addictively funny feeling), but less leg shaving (that looks like an awful lot of work) than the girls I'm a fan of. Neither thing bothers me, and it just seems bizarre that it would worry people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Subbing
Original post by lp386
From what I've seen, you've just started mocking him. And then he responds with thirteen (thirteen! we counted!) paragraphs explaining everything that could possibly be taken from the single most charitable reading of the mocking emails, and appointing himself leader of tribal council.

This is sounding far too juicy. I may have to ask somebody to forward me the emails in a minute so I can join in on the spectacle. :beard:
I managed to forget the most important point which my husband observed after merely glancing at that article... you can't say that you're not brainwashed into preferring hairlessness and that its just your particular aesthetic ideal, when the whole way that the brainwashing works is by making you see hairlessness as aesthetically ideal :lol:
Original post by alex_hk90
I agree. :smile:

Careful now... this is becoming a habit :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Zoedotdot
So, Camchatters, we're about to reach the end of this thread (in 45 posts time). This one was started while I was still in Russia, so it's taken us a while

Suggestions please for excitingly punny names for the next one?

This was thread number 9, but we're up to almost 100,000 CamChat posts because the first iteration was locked at 20,000 posts according to visesh, our oracle from times past. I feel like we definitely have to out-nerd ourselves with thread number 10

Woah :cool:
?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
prsom. Yay!!!

I'm glad to hear you're being sensible.

Original post by ukebert
Sounds awesome Mel :smile:

Original post by ukdragon37
If it's worth anything, my PhD applications sixth-sense tells me if I had this opportunity I would not hesitate to go even if it was in exam term. :tongue:

Thanks for the enthusiasm everyone!

Original post by Zoedotdot
I think he would probably sail you out there himself on a raft made of his own bookshelves :p: So I doubt you need to worry about permission.

Now that'd be a trip to tell the grandchildren about...!

Tortious
:smile:

Were you in little Sainsbury's just now?
Reply 32
Original post by Melz0r
Were you in little Sainsbury's just now?

Yes! I was just in front of the PCSOs in the queue for the self-checkout. :ninja:
I just heard that my hubby landed a fully funded PhD place on a programme that fits him like a glove. We are over the moon right now, especially as we just came to the second year of him applying for PhDs and being shortlisted for funding twice but narrowly missing it. It was looking like he'd have to try and self fund, which would have put us in a very tight place financially. So this is just amazing. And best of all, its at a University close enough to Norwich that we can live somewhere in between and easily commute to both our Unis. At this stage its looking like we'll move to Ely or Cambridge :awesome:
Reply 34
Original post by Tortious
Yes! I was just in front of the PCSOs in the queue for the self-checkout. :ninja:

I was behind the PCSOs and was using the checkout to your right! I was going to say hi because I was sure it was you, but I was put off by the fact that on Thursday I saw someone in Clowns (... yes Clowns) who I was convinced was you, after ages asked them if they were you, and they were not. It was awkward.
Reply 35
I just heard that my hubby landed a fully funded PhD place on a programme that fits him like a glove. We are over the moon right now, especially as we just came to the second year of him applying for PhDs and being shortlisted for funding twice but narrowly missing it. It was looking like he'd have to try and self fund, which would have put us in a very tight place financially. So this is just amazing. And best of all, its at a University close enough to Norwich that we can live somewhere in between and easily commute to both our Unis. At this stage its looking like we'll move to Ely or Cambridge :awesome:

Literally everything about this post is awesome.
Reply 36
Original post by Melz0r
I was behind the PCSOs and was using the checkout to your right! I was going to say hi because I was sure it was you, but I was put off by the fact that on Thursday I saw someone in Clowns (... yes Clowns) who I was convinced was you, after ages asked them if they were you, and they were not. It was awkward.

Oh, I didn't see you, but I know who you are since we're Facebook friends (I've just liked your last status in case you can't remember who I am :wink:). Apparently the Tea Room is meeting in Cambridge on 30 October, so hopefully I'll see you there, if not before! :h:

Are you going to Murray Edwards on the 11th? :holmes:
Original post by ukebert
Literally everything about this post is awesome.

:hugs: Thanks Owen!
We are feeling so lucky. And I'm thrilled that my OH has gotten what he deserved, as I can't think of a single person more destined to become an academic than he is.
Reply 38
Oh, I didn't see you, but I know who you are since we're Facebook friends (I've just liked your last status in case you can't remember who I am :wink:). Apparently the Tea Room is meeting in Cambridge on 30 October, so hopefully I'll see you there, if not before! :h:

Are you going to Murray Edwards on the 11th? :holmes:

Yeah, I know who you are too from Facebook (hence thinking I recognised you!) but your profile pictures are all a tad enigmatic.

Not sure :holmes:
:holmes:

Are you around at all next weekend? I may be going to Cambridge for a day or two to visit my bf plus a few other friends so might stop by to collect the Per Inc copy if you're there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending