The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sellerofdreams
Thanks for the advice! The thing is though I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up with HL maths because I'm currently averaging a B for add maths(but A star for normal maths). I think I'll try to do bio then. I would have loved history, but my college doesn't offer it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What I would do, if you are confident enough with one of your standard level subjects and your school allows it, would be to start with 4 higher levels. That way, you can see what they're all like, and drop one if it is too challenging without having to catch up elsewhere. This is what I did, and it worked well for me, allowing me to take Anthopology HL which I didn't think I would and drop Biology to SL when it started getting a bit overwhelming. GCSEs are very poor as a predictor of performance at IB and beyond, so don't rely on them: personally, I got an A in Maths and have to work very hard to cope with SL Maths now, wheras I got a C in French and am now on course for a B at French B SL. There are many similar stories, and when it comes to uni those which publish statistics (such as Cambridge) show the correlation between GCSE grades and later performance isn't very good at all.
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 982
Hi, I've just started the IB and I want to do philosophy or theology at uni - most of my subjects are fine but History HL is horrible for me right now... I got an A* at GCSE but now it's nothing like I imagined it to be, and I don't think I'll get the grade I hoped for at the ened. I want to change subjects but my only other option would be to do Visual Arts (school doesn't offer very many subjects), but it's kind of regarded as a soft subject, so will it hinder my chances at going to a top uni? I'm thinking either Durham, St Andrews and maybe Oxford, although most likely the first two.

Subject combinations I'm doing now:
History HL
English lit HL
Philosophy HL
German B SL
Mathematics SL
Physics SL

Although if I would drop history, my subjects would be this:
English lit HL
Philosophy HL
German/Physics HL
Mathematics SL
Visual Arts SL
German/Physics SL
^ I think due to timetabling issues I'll have to do Physics HL, I've heard it's hard but I think if I put the work in I'll be capable, and I'm pretty good at German but I don't know if they'll be able to schedule me in.

So basically, will doing VA instead of History hinder my chances at a top uni?
Original post by Venada
Hi, I've just started the IB and I want to do philosophy or theology at uni - most of my subjects are fine but History HL is horrible for me right now... I got an A* at GCSE but now it's nothing like I imagined it to be, and I don't think I'll get the grade I hoped for at the ened. I want to change subjects but my only other option would be to do Visual Arts (school doesn't offer very many subjects), but it's kind of regarded as a soft subject, so will it hinder my chances at going to a top uni? I'm thinking either Durham, St Andrews and maybe Oxford, although most likely the first two.

Subject combinations I'm doing now:
History HL
English lit HL
Philosophy HL
German B SL
Mathematics SL
Physics SL

Although if I would drop history, my subjects would be this:
English lit HL
Philosophy HL
German/Physics HL
Mathematics SL
Visual Arts SL
German/Physics SL
^ I think due to timetabling issues I'll have to do Physics HL, I've heard it's hard but I think if I put the work in I'll be capable, and I'm pretty good at German but I don't know if they'll be able to schedule me in.

So basically, will doing VA instead of History hinder my chances at a top uni?

It would hinder you in that they would prefer History, but at the end of the day if it gives you a couple of extra points it's probably a worthwhile trade-off. Just be wary of the fact that the same could happen with Art/HL Physics: they could be different and more difficult than you expect, putting you in a worse situation as you'll already be playing catch-up with your classmates.
Reply 984
They've mixed the higher and standard physics classes together, the only difference is when they teach the HL stuff that the SL students don't have to turn up to those lessons, so I won't be behind in that respect and I seem to be handling it fine now :smile: I guess I can catch up with art fairly quickly, I know I'll enjoy it more than history so I'll be willing to put the extra work in for now. Thanks!
I want to go into dentistry:

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
History HL
Maths Studies SL (Sixth form doesn't offer pure SL)
English SL
Spanish SL

Is that okay?
This is kind of a "which IB subjects should I do" thing. Ok, I plan to study Chemistry at Oxbridge atm, Idk if this will change.

I plan to do:
HL Chemistry
HL Maths
HL Geography/Latin/Economics
SL English
SL Mandarin ab initio (I can speak fluent Mandarin already, easy 7)
SL Geography/Latin/Economics

Now a sixth former just came into my room (I'm at boarding school, IB next year) and he told me that HL Maths is really really really hard. Like, you need to be a genius or something. He told me not to do Latin but Economics (I chose Latin because I heard it looks good on UCAS, CV, etc.) and that Economics was relatively easy for him despite him not having prior knowledge of it before IB. So what I'm after is - your opinion on these subjects, whether you struggle or not, or some general advice that would make me change my choices. Bearing in mind currently the only career and future I want is in Chemistry, though this might change; so I want the best choices to make my life studying IB easier and my Oxbridge app/IB diploma the best possible. What do you guys suggest? I'm aiming for all A*s I/GCSEs, with my weakest subject as English. I also plan to do some early preparation, such as looking into some SL Chemistry now etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
This is kind of a "which IB subjects should I do" thing. Ok, I plan to study Chemistry at Oxbridge atm, Idk if this will change.

I plan to do:
HL Chemistry
HL Maths
HL Geography/Latin/Economics
SL English
SL Mandarin ab initio (I can speak fluent Mandarin already, easy 7)
SL Geography/Latin/Economics

Now a sixth former just came into my room (I'm at boarding school, IB next year) and he told me that HL Maths is really really really hard. Like, you need to be a genius or something. He told me not to do Latin but Economics (I chose Latin because I heard it looks good on UCAS, CV, etc.) and that Economics was relatively easy for him despite him not having prior knowledge of it before IB. So what I'm after is - your opinion on these subjects, whether you struggle or not, or some general advice that would make me change my choices. Bearing in mind currently the only career and future I want is in Chemistry, though this might change; so I want the best choices to make my life studying IB easier and my Oxbridge app/IB diploma the best possible. What do you guys suggest? I'm aiming for all A*s I/GCSEs, with my weakest subject as English. I also plan to do some early preparation, such as looking into some SL Chemistry now etc.

Well I took an ab initio subject when I did the IB and even though I was actually a novice (French), I still managed a 7. Also, Economics HL is pretty simplistic. The entire first section of the Economics textbook is called "Introduction to Economics," the course is designed for people with absolutely no background in the subject. I had done the course with no prior experience and I got a 7. So take it without a doubt in mind.

Yes, Maths HL is hard. One of my boarding school friends currently studying Mathematical Theory at Princeton, who absolutely adores and lives for Maths, got a 6 in Maths HL. Then again, another friend who loathes Maths but simply has a skill for it and knows how to practice exam technique like no other got a 7 in Maths HL. It all comes down to how interested you are and how well you master exam technique. And that advice applies to all the IB subjects you take.

If you have any further Qs about the IB, feel free to ask.

Best, Arrowhead.
Original post by arrowhead
Well I took an ab initio subject when I did the IB and even though I was actually a novice (French), I still managed a 7. Also, Economics HL is pretty simplistic. The entire first section of the Economics textbook is called "Introduction to Economics," the course is designed for people with absolutely no background in the subject. I had done the course with no prior experience and I got a 7. So take it without a doubt in mind.

Yes, Maths HL is hard. One of my boarding school friends currently studying Mathematical Theory at Princeton, who absolutely adores and lives for Maths, got a 6 in Maths HL. Then again, another friend who loathes Maths but simply has a skill for it and knows how to practice exam technique like no other got a 7 in Maths HL. It all comes down to how interested you are and how well you master exam technique. And that advice applies to all the IB subjects you take.

If you have any further Qs about the IB, feel free to ask.

Best, Arrowhead.

Thanks for the reply Arrowhead. So now I'm thinking HL Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Will choosing Economics affect my UCAS negatively if I want to study Chemistry in uni? I'm worried they might think "why didn't he choose Biology?" (I have no intention of studying medicine). I think the choices I make will give me maximum points without affecting my UCAS too much.
Original post by Bude8
Thanks for the reply Arrowhead. So now I'm thinking HL Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Will choosing Economics affect my UCAS negatively if I want to study Chemistry in uni? I'm worried they might think "why didn't he choose Biology?" (I have no intention of studying medicine). I think the choices I make will give me maximum points without affecting my UCAS too much.

Not really, it won't make any difference. You have Chemistry HL and Maths HL. I imagine that's more than enough to display your commitment to excellence (assuming you have the predictions to apply to top unis). So take Economics without any doubts, it won't harm you.

Best of luck!
Reply 990
Hi,
So I just started IB and I am currently taking 4 HLs: bio, chem, geo and English lit. I have lots of work so I've decided to drop English because i know i want to study science in university.
However I dont know if i should drop from HL literature to SL literature, or from HL literature to HL language and literature. I know lang and lit has a reputation of being easier but i wanted to know if that was really true, and if it was going to change the way universities see my application?

Plus if i do change to HL lang and lit and I still having trouble with the workload, then my only option would be SL lang and lit. would that also change the way universities regard my application?

Thank youu
Original post by Anneduvi
Hi,
So I just started IB and I am currently taking 4 HLs: bio, chem, geo and English lit. I have lots of work so I've decided to drop English because i know i want to study science in university.
However I dont know if i should drop from HL literature to SL literature, or from HL literature to HL language and literature. I know lang and lit has a reputation of being easier but i wanted to know if that was really true, and if it was going to change the way universities see my application?

Plus if i do change to HL lang and lit and I still having trouble with the workload, then my only option would be SL lang and lit. would that also change the way universities regard my application?

Thank youu

You shouldn't do 4 HLs if you don't want to - it does not affect your application. So do them if you want to, but don't if it's purely for unis - just drop to SL.
Reply 992
Hi,

Thank youu

If you're not interested in English at all, I suggest you just drop to SL language and literature. Since you're applying for science, (and those are your HL's), universities really will not care in the least what specific type of English you take at SL. As far as that's concerned, pick whichever level/ type of English that you want to do.
Ey, been ridiculously indecisive over my combination choices, and I've been switching it around.

Currently I have submitted

HL
Chemistry
Biology
Economics

and SL
Chinese B
Mathematics
Literature

and I'm thinking of getting it switched to

HL
Economics
Biology
Literature

SL
History
Chinese B
Mathematics

I know it looks like the biggest turnaround, but that's cause as I've been preparing for the IGCSEs, and considering what I enjoyed the most, the Econs,Bio and Lit (my new combinations) combination seemed to be the best for me. Also, I feel like the enjoyment I get from Chemistry has kinda expired, on top of the fact that I've kind of struggled with it as well. But with the new combination - I take on more subjective subjects than objective ones (for the lack of a better term in the midst of my subject combination flustering) which makes me worry that it might be harder for me to score - but that's just me because I've never immersed myself in too much of the humanities, but then I suddenly found a huge interest for. So I don't know. I don't know really sums up my indecisiveness. Also I don't know if I close too many doors if I choose to take on the new combination. Eee. Help!

and thanks:smile:
PS: I only begin IB in January so I haven't begun it yet:smile:
Reply 994
Hey, at the moment i'm doing the following subjects

HL English
HL Economics
Hl French

SL Psychology
SL Biology
SL Maths

Im thinking of changing from psychology to geography, as it will be much easier. However, i'm not sure if i should change as i do like psychology more, its just a lot more work. Im also a bit unsure about maths, and whether to drop down to studies or not. The course that i'll do in uni won't probably be maths related though.
Original post by qawsed
Hey, at the moment i'm doing the following subjects

HL English
HL Economics
Hl French

SL Psychology
SL Biology
SL Maths

Im thinking of changing from psychology to geography, as it will be much easier. However, i'm not sure if i should change as i do like psychology more, its just a lot more work. Im also a bit unsure about maths, and whether to drop down to studies or not. The course that i'll do in uni won't probably be maths related though.

We can only give you any advice if you mention what course(s) you're interested in pursuing at university. Otherwise, everything seems fine with or without the change.
Reply 996
Do i need math HL to be an accountant? a chartered accountant?

[INDENT]Hello everyone! I'm aiming to become a chartered accountant.. and i was wondering if i need math HL to become one.. i already have economics and business as HL's.. i have to choose between english and math HL.. i tried math HL but i dont know if ill be able to cope with it.. so id like to avoid taking it.. but to become a chartered accountant do i need math HL? or will math SL suffice? and what are my chances with math SL[/INDENT]

Reply 997
Hi,

Thank youu

Let me clear something up, and this comes from someone who takes two languages at HL, English Lang and Lit and Italian Lit. Language and literature is by no means the easier course. In fact, I find the syllabus much more challenging. If you are not good at literature and poetry analysis then yes, Literature is going to tough but in Language and Literature part of your assessment is just the same as in Literature (your IOC and Paper 2 are virtually the same), but additionally to this you are assessed in another range of things which makes the program much more broad and (in my and many others opinion at my school) harder to get a 7.

Furthermore, there is much more official work in Lang and Lit. In Literature, all you have to do is one 1500 word essay (+300 word reflective statement), an oral commentary of about 20 minutes and a presentation (may I add a very easy presentation where everyone gets 6s and 7s) of 10-15 minutes.
In Language and Literature, you are required to write at least 4 written tasks, 1000words +300 word rationale each. One of them (at least) has to a traditional essay, whereas the others are " creative writing" which in my opinion is harder to get a good grade and you don't have the plethora of sources online (sparknotes, cliffnotes, etc.) to do your analysis. Additionally to this, you are required to do at least 2 further oral activities (up to 1 hour long!) which are interactive with the class and count for 15% of your grade, an IOC (internal oral commentary) which is exactly the same as in literature.

Paper 1 for Lang lit is also a comparative analysis. Although the texts CAN be simple (even a comic) do not be fooled by this, as the level of analysis required is the same as in literature! And even if the texts can be simple, on my mocks I got considerably more complicated texts for my Lang and Lit than my Italian Lit (Italian lit was some bs poem about trees).

Many people seem to think that Lang and Lit is just A2 English changed a little, but this is quite wrong. What they did is took the basic ideas of A2 (such as focus on language) and changed it to become much more challenging and at the same level as literature. The one which is harder depends on you: no doubt in L&L you have a larger workload, and are assessed over a much broader range of things. That being said, I find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature, because you get some of the Literature while also looking at other stuff.
Reply 998
To be honest, the IB is a joke. If I were you, I'd pick a different course, such as A-levels.
Original post by Aless

Furthermore, there is much more official work in Lang and Lit. In Literature, all you have to do is one 1500 word essay (+300 word reflective statement), an oral commentary of about 20 minutes and a presentation (may I add a very easy presentation where everyone gets 6s and 7s) of 10-15 minutes.
In Language and Literature, you are required to write at least 4 written tasks, 1000words +300 word rationale each. One of them (at least) has to a traditional essay, whereas the others are " creative writing" which in my opinion is harder to get a good grade and you don't have the plethora of sources online (sparknotes, cliffnotes, etc.) to do your analysis. Additionally to this, you are required to do at least 2 further oral activities (up to 1 hour long!) which are interactive with the class and count for 15% of your grade, an IOC (internal oral commentary) which is exactly the same as in literature.

I'd say you're making a huge generalisation here where you're supplanting your preferences for everyone's in essence. Personally, creative writing is super easy for me and that is why if I had 3/4 written internal assignments to be based on such, I would be ecstatic because it wouldn't've even been a challenge; but the 1,500-word academic written paper where you use sources, which, believe it or not, actually makes things harder for most people unused to doing research, doesn't sound as close to much fun.

An inherently fun, typified interactive oral activity as compared to a literary commentary on the merits of a particular component of a component of a book that nobody enjoyed reading, which you have to somehow make interesting and discussible in an oral format. Yeah, I think that level of difficulty between those two is pretty clear.

Original post by Aless
Paper 1 for Lang lit is also a comparative analysis. Although the texts CAN be simple (even a comic) do not be fooled by this, as the level of analysis required is the same as in literature! And even if the texts can be simple, on my mocks I got considerably more complicated texts for my Lang and Lit than my Italian Lit (Italian lit was some bs poem about trees).

Ummm...No. Even if you're expected to use the same skills for analysis as in Literature; it's fundamentally different when you try to use said skills on a complicated work of a literary scholar...and a comic strip.

Original post by Aless
Many people seem to think that Lang and Lit is just A2 English changed a little, but this is quite wrong. What they did is took the basic ideas of A2 (such as focus on language) and changed it to become much more challenging and at the same level as literature. The one which is harder depends on you: no doubt in L&L you have a larger workload, and are assessed over a much broader range of things. That being said, I find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature, because you get some of the Literature while also looking at other stuff.

You kind of give the answer in the justification: "[you] find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature," which eases the feel of the workload tremendously. Besides, having a greater volume of assignments doesn't make a course more challenging. Case and point: We do one 2,000-word IA in History HL but four 750-word IAs in Economics HL; quantitatively Economics IAs are much more work, but realistically, I could write an Economics IA in one night and get a 7, but a History IA takes weeks and months to get right. Quantity >/> Quality.

Latest

Trending

Trending