The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

maxfire
Please don't waste huge chunks of space with nothing please.
kthxbai

Bu7 .. 1 l1k3 5p4c3 b4r th0ugh :sad:
Reply 61
I'm always intrigued about near-death experiences, I mean, their heart rate is dead, but they still have visions and stuff? What's going on there then? :p:
Reply 62
Cultivated
Bu7 .. 1 l1k3 5p4c3 b4r th0ugh :sad:

kDen

:awesome:
Reply 63
Playa_h8r
The irony of your username

Just to point out that its not ironic if you know that its actually the title of an animé movie by Studio Ghibli and its based on a 10 year old girl who gets trapped in the 'spirit world' for a while. :rolleyes:

Back to the original post, i'm hoping its like the end of the movie American Beauty where the guy who gets shot describes it as going back to the moment in your life when you were most happiest and the moment lasts for all eternity. It really is quite beautiful. :o:
We don't exist without our brains. We slowly begin to exist as a 'person' as our brain develops. People have never had a problem accepting this because it isn't a scary thought not to have existed before we were alive. It's more scary thinking where we will be after we die, and where people we know who have died are. Although it's exactly the same concept as before we were alive, it's more scary because it's in the future and is unknown. That's why people created the idea of an afterlife. In reality the two concepts are no different.

The Bible does say "before I formed you in the womb, I knew you" (Jeramiah 1:5), which could suggest that people are somehow with God before they come to be alive, although the quotation is in reference to a particular person who God chose as a prophet, so it may be more to do with the importance of that person or with predestination. So I don't know.
Reply 65
after you're dead is the same as before you're born
how were the 1830s for you?

scary thought
Reply 66
_Bright Eyes
Yeah. I just don't understand how we control conscience thought. Since thought itself is the product of a reaction?

I think you're over thinking it. I think of it this way: Your brain is a computer made up of neurons and cells and stuff like that. It makes decisions based on the current situation and previous experiences. You are that computer, therefore any decisions made by it are your decisions. It doesn't matter whether the universe is deterministic or not. Just because you would make the same decision given the exact same input, it doesn't make it any less your decision.
Reply 67
Dadeling
Just to point out that its not ironic if you know that its actually the title of an animé movie by Studio Ghibli and its based on a 10 year old girl who gets trapped in the 'spirit world' for a while. :rolleyes:

Back to the original post, i'm hoping its like the end of the movie American Beauty where the guy who gets shot describes it as going back to the moment in your life when you were most happiest and the moment lasts for all eternity. It really is quite beautiful. :o:

Yea I know the film...
Hazzard
If it's the same thing then Peter Jackson (Lord Of The Rings) is adapting it into a film, just incase you're interested. :smile:
#

Yeh I was a bit apprehensive when I found out it was going to be a film but Peter Jackson did pretty amazing job with LOTR so I'm hoping it's gonna be a good'un :smile:
Reply 69
We float around in thin air..
Reply 70
You aren't anywhere. Simple :smile:
We just go *poof*.
I Don't Know
Reply 73
as the mater of fact, we don't fully control our lives. I hope that with this question had open many doors for many type answers.
for my self a have some explanation for this topic before we are born official we are on the embryonic state live.If we saw more closely we will see that after 40 day of the beginning embryonic process
Reply 74
Original post by Biggillystyle
OK, I know physically we are genetic material in the from of our fathers sperm and mothers egg etc. but as a soul or a person where are we? Like years before we are ever born are we just not there? Its a strange thing to think about and has made me think alot recently.

For instance, does it not seem a bit weird that we seem to spontaneously appear out of nowhere as this thing that is able to think and feel emotions? This got me thinking, Is it the same process in reverse when we die (people who do not believe in the afterlife may believe this) Do we just dissappear forever on a spirtitual level as we did so easily enter the world? Scientificaly our bodies are broken down and decompose by bacteria, but as a person where do we go? I know its pretty heavy stuff to think about but just wanted to know what your opinions where and if you have anything to say on the matter.

As spirits, we've existed since almost the beginning of time. Somehwere in genesis it says that 'With Adam God created all the children of man.' Hence all the humans that have and will ever live were created with Adam. There are many theories and accounts saying that we all choose to live on earth and that we plan many aspects of our lives, including our choice of parents and siblings before we are born. Even the struggles and hard times in life, we are said to have planned them so as to learn lessons from them like compassion, patience, humility etc. Seriously, I believe this is true. If you want to read some accounts type in 'pre birth memories' or 'pre birth existence' into google. :smile:
Reply 75
I read one of the post on here that said that we are just nothing, "we just don't exist before we are born, that's like saying where is a fly before it is born". Well as you know we all come some where. I believe that before we are born we where with God. If you read the bible it will tell you in certain ways that before you where born you was with him.
Read Job 38:19-21 as well as Jeremiah 1:5.
The difference between humans and animals is that animals don't have a soul and humans do.
"you" are an amalgamation of your life's experience and upbringing. There is no "you" before you existed in the physical, just as before my computer was built and software installed, it didn't exist somewhere in a mystic ether waiting for me to kick some necromorph ass on Dead Space (great game btw).

If "you" were taken as a child and raised by wolves, savages etc, you would be nothing like you are now.

What makes you you is simply areas of your brain which develop over time. If I perform a lobotomy on you, you will not be you any more, from a personality point of view.
I get where you're coming from.

Before we're born (and while we're alive) we're just a load of atoms without thoughts, feelings or emotions, yet when they come together to form us, they do have those things. But if you were to cut some of those atoms off, ie a finger, that finger still wouldn't be conscious of such thoughts. And the same goes for when you die . . . :holmes:
Reply 78
Original post by Psyk
Until I know different, I'm assuming we simply did not exist before birth. Much like when we die we cease to exist.

edit- when I say before birth, I mean before being formed in the womb. Obviously we exist immediately prior to being born.

Sorry how do you know we 'cease to exist' after death. Sure, our bodies decompose, but that may not necessarily be the case with the soul, presuming one believes in it.
The likely (and perhaps sad) answer: we don't exist as people until the chemicals which transmit and loop around our brains are fired into action by genectic prompts. When we die, and the chemicals stop transmitting/looping, the "sense of self" is exterminated.

The idea I hope is true: We are eternally existing as our spirits, in a sea of consciousness which floats interwoven within the fabric of existence. When we are growing as fertilised mass, segments of this consciousness become involved with the molecular/atomic activity/vibrations attributed to the mass of the human being created, and the body attains a spirit - or more accurately, the spirit is loaned a body to explore the more massive formulations of energy and existence, such as planets. When we die, our spirits become releived back into the sea of consciousness within the fabric of existence, due to the cessation of a body/spirit attraction which relies upon the energising properties of the body to remain strong.

In terms of how our "perception" or "awareness" or "understanding" changes between the states of having a body and not, I can't really explain my ideas on that easily.

Latest

Trending

Trending