The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazarooni89
I don't know why Barcelona seem to have this thing about not buying any Centre-Backs. Pushing midfielders into defence when Puyol and Pique are injured might be fine when they're up against all those other not-very-good La Liga teams, but keeping out Real Madrid is another matter :s-smilie: Plus their "hold onto possession for the entire game" doesn't seem to be working as well as it once was. They're conceding/almost conceding on the break more often these days, even against teams that aren't that good...

:facepalm2:

I don't understand your facepalm. Surely you're not suggesting that Osasuna and Zaragoza and other similar teams have an equally good attack as Real Madrid? :s-smilie:

That's the way I see it in La Liga. With the exception of a few teams like Malaga, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, perhaps Bilbao and Sevilla, all the other teams pale in comparison to Barcelona and Real Madrid, usually.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't understand your facepalm. Surely you're not suggesting that Osasuna and Zaragoza and other similar teams have an equally good attack as Real Madrid? :s-smilie:

That's the way I see it in La Liga. With the exception of a few teams like Malaga, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, perhaps Bilbao and Sevilla, all the other teams pale in comparison to Barcelona and Real Madrid, usually.

Osasuna is one of the toughest away days in the country.

And just because they aren't on the level of Barca and Real doesn't mean they are "not very good" as you put it.
Original post by CB91
Osasuna is one of the toughest away days in the country.

And just because they aren't on the level of Barca and Real doesn't mean they are "not very good" as you put it.

Well "not very good" is of course a relative term, where we're comparing against Real Madrid and Barcelona. I'm sure they're brilliant teams if we're comparing them against the Segunda Divisions. The point is that they're easier to defend against than Real Madrid.
(edited 11 years ago)
One annoying thing though about people going on about Barca lacking a CB well we have conceded the same amount of goals as Madrid and they dont have a defensive crisis. If we're outscoring teams then we should be fine. Madrid are conceding just as many as we are.
Madrid have started the season poorly as a whole team though, their defense isnt any more leaky than ever its just theyre not dominating games as much and teams are playing with less fear against them, with barca though theyre dominating games as always and theyre looking vulnerable to conceding whenever the other team has the ball.
An unequal duel in classico: While Barca come out on top in la liga, Madrid has lost two matches yet - in six matches! I guess if Barca wins against Madrid, they can get the championship out of the head for the moment.
Original post by johnharris19944
One annoying thing though about people going on about Barca lacking a CB well we have conceded the same amount of goals as Madrid and they dont have a defensive crisis. If we're outscoring teams then we should be fine. Madrid are conceding just as many as we are.

Madrid don't count atm since they were so poor at the start of the season anyway, defensive crisis or not if you were playing like madrid were in september you would be conceding goals so cheaply.
Last season madrid seemed to just concede but they'll have wrapped up the game anyway this sort of thing happens with very attacking teams like madrid and barca too, just that madrid score more goals than you guys so it's less costly(not that you guys don't score a ****load of goals yourselves)
El Clasico today. Pressures on Madrid to come attack us and get the result. Maybe we should try hold the ball and get them to come to us and they might leave pockets of space.
Reply 609
Barcelona never had much success with CBs outside the club youth graduates. Masch worked well so they gave it another go with Song and we're still a bit early to give a verdict.
Original post by facdroit
Barcelona never had much success with CBs outside the club youth graduates. Masch worked well so they gave it another go with Song and we're still a bit early to give a verdict.

I think Song has done pretty well but i want him paired up with someone who actually plays CB. Very good at reading the game and has done pretty well physically but him and Mascherano have made a few errors which cannot be made against Madrid. Also apparently Pique is a last minute decision?

That's because they made stupid signings, they also need technical centre backs with good pace and positioning for the high line to prevent counter attacks and only a few fit these bracket. Hence why they tried to get luiz and bought song. Essien would have been another good choice(too bad he's past it) last CB they bought that did well was marquez.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you asked me to guess who Obafemi Martins now plays for, I wouldn't have said Levante :lol:
I am equally looking forward to the Atleti - Malaga game. Forget the PL, today is about La Liga for me.
Reply 614
Seconded on the Atléti game. I'm expecting Falcao and Isco to battle it out for Man of the Match.
Original post by The Baron
I am equally looking forward to the Atleti - Malaga game. Forget the PL, today is about La Liga for me.

Unless you support a PL team :h:

I sound like a broken record but the quality of football across the board in Spain is far too good to have it completely overlooked by the Barça - Madrid lovefest. Matches like Atleti v Malaga deserve to have way more mass airtime than they actually get! Players like Falcao are total geniuses, and I'm not surprised Agüero left for somewhere he'll get a bit more attention. Football fan culture in Spain is nothing on England, nothing.
Reply 616
Pique ruled out tonight.
Reply 617
Original post by rockrunride
Unless you support a PL team :h:

I sound like a broken record but the quality of football across the board in Spain is far too good to have it completely overlooked by the Barça - Madrid lovefest. Matches like Atleti v Malaga deserve to have way more mass airtime than they actually get! Players like Falcao are total geniuses, and I'm not surprised Agüero left for somewhere he'll get a bit more attention. Football fan culture in Spain is nothing on England, nothing.

My friend in Milan is saying most bars are playing the classico over the derby tonight.
Barcelona vs Real Madrid is an important spectacle for the whole footballing world.

Not to take away from the other great matches being played on the same day but the classico is probably THE football game of the year (well considering we've been averaging 4 a year it's a bit less ''rare'' but still).
My friend in Milan is saying most bars are playing the classico over the derby tonight.
Barcelona vs Real Madrid is an important spectacle for the whole footballing world.

Not to take away from the other great matches being played on the same day but the classico is probably THE football game of the year (well considering we've been averaging 4 a year it's a bit less ''rare'' but still).

I'm guessing most proper Inter and Milan fans will go to the Madonnina. El Clásico has to be the most armchairtastic game; even in Spain most fans are either Madrid or Barça. Worldwide coverage, supposedly the two best football teams in the world on display, brilliant ingredients for a lightweight football fan. Why would you want to consider supporting another team when you have the media telling you who to support? In this respect I'm pretty glad that the dominance of the English "Big 4" has ended.

If you're watching as a neutral or from abroad, I think it's acceptable to appreciate the quality of the football though.

Wow, they're playing it over the milan derby, I feel so sorry for italian football, such a non league these days in europe even germany has got better than them. I think I might have to go to a bar to watch it. Don't want to watch it on stream and it keeps on lagging as that'll piss me off so much.

Just wondering, would you guys watch a milan derby over a dortmund-schalke or a dortmund bayern match?
(edited 11 years ago)