The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

two days to go until I am out there, hopefully see some fireworks while I am at it
Reply 501
Hope you have settled in well Rock Fan! I am enjoying the sunshine so much. Have had such lovely weather here for the past month, the coldness of winter has been erased from my mind :wink:.
Reply 502
For anyone thinking of going to Canada i've been to every major city and I lived in Toronto for 4 years, message me if you have any questions.
Original post by shoegirl
Hope you have settled in well Rock Fan! I am enjoying the sunshine so much. Have had such lovely weather here for the past month, the coldness of winter has been erased from my mind :wink:.

Yeah was red hot today, i am now living in kitsilano, it's lovely here.
Reply 504
Original post by Rock Fan

Good for you, Kits is meant to be a nice place to live. Here on the Island it's 31 degrees but 'feels like 37.' Pretty hot I'd say!
Original post by gemini89
Good for you, Kits is meant to be a nice place to live. Here on the Island it's 31 degrees but 'feels like 37.' Pretty hot I'd say!

The record temperature was broken on Vancouver Island, I do like Kits it's got really nice scenery and shops close enough by, oh and the beach. Just need to find a job now.
Reply 506
The record temperature was broken on Vancouver Island, I do like Kits it's got really nice scenery and shops close enough by, oh and the beach. Just need to find a job now.

Interesting, I hadn't seen/read that anywhere and I'm actually here! :tongue: Good luck for your job hunt!
Hi guys. I am moving to Vancouver on a working holiday on the 18th October. I haven't signed up to BUNAC yet because I already have my VISA and flights sorted. Does anyone know if it would be worth signing with BUNAC? I haven't sorted accommodation out yet. Do people usually meet others to move in when they get to Vancouver? Also, if anyone is looking for a flatshare at the moment let me know.

Used to live in Kits. Decent place though live Downtown now, Yaletown represent :wink:
Original post by ifstatement
Used to live in Kits. Decent place though live Downtown now, Yaletown represent :wink:

Kits is great, when I came to Vancouver the first time for two Weeks I stayed in an apartment in yaletown
Reply 510
Original post by lukewigham
Hi guys. I am moving to Vancouver on a working holiday on the 18th October. I haven't signed up to BUNAC yet because I already have my VISA and flights sorted. Does anyone know if it would be worth signing with BUNAC? I haven't sorted accommodation out yet. Do people usually meet others to move in when they get to Vancouver? Also, if anyone is looking for a flatshare at the moment let me know.

You don't need to sign up to BUNAC. I found my job online as did a lot of people I've met. There's kijiji.ca and craigslist.ca plus employment agencies that you can sign up to. As for accommodation, I would wait till you get there. Then you can see which areas you like and which area you get a job in. You will met lots of people in hostels or again find roommates online. It's can feel scary arriving without a job and long term accommodation but it is very freeing. You have the freedom to look around at different places and even leave the city if you want to try elsewhere.

Good Luck!

Hope everyone is enjoying their adventures.
I am still trying to figure out exactly what I am doing. Weather is still in the 20's, 26 today :smile:. Have being enjoying still hiking and bike riding in shorts :smile:.

IMG_2937.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 511
Original post by lukewigham

I agree with shoegirl.....I don't think it's worth signing up with BUNAC. Just stay in a hostel for a few weeks when you arrive, and sort accommodation when you get there - why would you arrange and pay to move in somewhere you've never seen?!! Vancouver isn't for everyone, and there's a huge range and variety of accommodation options. You'll find lots of people in Vancouver hostels in a similar position to you, or, as shoegirl said, just have a look on kijiji and craigslist.

Have a great time!

Original post by shoegirl

Hope everyone is enjoying their adventures.
I am still trying to figure out exactly what I am doing. Weather is still in the 20's, 26 today :smile:. Have being enjoying still hiking and bike riding in shorts :smile:.

IMG_2937.jpg

Ah, lucky, the weather was awesome (28 every day in September) here up until last Friday when it just turned (now 18 degree and cloudy, very English weather), even though the sunshine was meant to last for the whole month! Bit gutted (or 'choked' as my Canadian friends would say) but I've done so much this summer that I can't really complain too much.

I've gone caving, whale watching, road tripping, swimming, camping and canoeing (many many times)....and discovered how much I love canoe camping! Can't wait to try some of BC's canoe circuits, where you paddle and camp for up to about 10 days, while spotting moose and bears on the shoreline! Had some amazing days off last week, canoed out to a beautiful Provincial Park island about 5km off the coast, and watched dolphins and seals playing offshore. Plus, we were the only people camping there so had everything to ourselves! Amazing!

I'm back working at the ski resort here now, it's pretty interesting to work there pre-season, a good three months before most staff arrive! Can't wait for the first proper snow, which will probably be late October/November - we had a little sprinkle last week but it didn't really count.

Shoegirl, what are you doing right now?
You lot are a right bunch of losers. Stay in Britain and be proud of where your from, not running away from the country that gave you everything. You are all a load of toothless traitors.
Why stay in England where there is no.jobs and the economy is ****ed, there is far more to do here and more opportunity, I'm living life to the full
You get your moneys worth more in Canada than the UK lol

12% tax in BC >>>> 17% VAT

In alberta tax is 5%

So technically Alberta >>>>> BC in tax
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ifstatement
You get your moneys worth more in Canada than the UK lol

12% tax in BC >>>> 17% VAT

In alberta tax is 5%

So technically Alberta >>>>> BC in tax

I think that person is clearly a bitter and jealous person
Reply 516
Hey everyone. I've just been reading through the whole thread and it seems both really exciting and scary at the same time.

Anyway, I'm thinking about doing this next year when I graduate from uni. From what I've read on here it seems like the process opens up in December or January and then you should have roughly 6 months until visas run out. Is this correct?

Is anyone else thinking of doing this next year? As for the people who are in Canada now, how are you finding it?
Reply 517
Original post by Soilwork
Hey everyone. I've just been reading through the whole thread and it seems both really exciting and scary at the same time.

Anyway, I'm thinking about doing this next year when I graduate from uni. From what I've read on here it seems like the process opens up in December or January and then you should have roughly 6 months until visas run out. Is this correct?

Is anyone else thinking of doing this next year? As for the people who are in Canada now, how are you finding it?

The visa program opening in Dec/Jan and the allocation running out by May/June has indeed been the trend for the last few years. Remember that you have to allow for a long process time, so really you need to have applied by March/April time if you really want to go.

Having said this, it could be that the British program is in for some big changes this year - the Canada's Immigration Minister is currently visiting the UK and Ireland to discuss changes to the IEC program (among other things). A few days ago some changes were announced for the Irish program that include an increase in visa allocation and a switch from two one year visas to one two year visa for applicants. This helps employability a lot since Canadian employers will be much more likely to hire someone who can stay for 2 years as opposed to just a year! Anyway, I'm expecting a similar announcement for the British program soon, so I'd keep an eye on the IEC website!
Original post by gemini89
The visa program opening in Dec/Jan and the allocation running out by May/June has indeed been the trend for the last few years. Remember that you have to allow for a long process time, so really you need to have applied by March/April time if you really want to go.

Having said this, it could be that the British program is in for some big changes this year - the Canada's Immigration Minister is currently visiting the UK and Ireland to discuss changes to the IEC program (among other things). A few days ago some changes were announced for the Irish program that include an increase in visa allocation and a switch from two one year visas to one two year visa for applicants. This helps employability a lot since Canadian employers will be much more likely to hire someone who can stay for 2 years as opposed to just a year! Anyway, I'm expecting a similar announcement for the British program soon, so I'd keep an eye on the IEC website!

I don't know, i've read rumours that it's only Ireland that are having the changes not England, I hope this turns out not to be true.
I don't know, i've read rumours that it's only Ireland that are having the changes not England, I hope this turns out not to be true.

Minister is probably going to announce something since he is visiting the UK for a reason so who knows really... lol

Good idea for it to be changed to two years though since I know people have had trouble applying for a 2nd year visa during their first year. Less stress I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest