The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurie:)
never really posted in here :tongue:

just had a bit of a weird experience today - my friend (who is also catholic) asked somebody from the christian union something about where the catholic church was in StA, and the people from the union laughed (kind of like, snootily?) and mentioned something about catholics not really being in the christian union. i dunno, i thought it was weird. i've always considered myself catholic but always christian as well - i've never really experienced this kinda thing. i thought it was a bit odd that there was a separate catholic society... :s-smilie:

My general understanding of CUs is that they are largely Protestant. Not entirely sure why, since we're clearly Christians too. It's sad that there is such segregation. At my undergrad uni, there was a lot of snobbery about who was "Christian" and who wasn't and people from the CU didn't wanna even talk to me about my/their faith, coz I'm Catholic and they weren't :confused: Very, very odd and not very Christian at all, tbh.

That said, I do think there is a need for a separate Cath Soc at most unis, otherwise all the Protestants (perhaps the Orthodox too) would get sick of us banging on about Mary and the saints :p:

Welcome, btw :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My general understanding of CUs is that they are largely Protestant. Not entirely sure why, since we're clearly Christians too. It's sad that there is such segregation. At my undergrad uni, there was a lot of snobbery about who was "Christian" and who wasn't and people from the CU didn't wanna even talk to me about my/their faith, coz I'm Catholic and they weren't :confused: Very, very odd and not very Christian at all, tbh.

That said, I do think there is a need for a separate Cath Soc at most unis, otherwise all the Protestants (perhaps the Orthodox too) would get sick of us banging on about Mary and the saints :p:

Welcome, btw :biggrin:

it's just weird :tongue: cause all of the other branches of christianity seem to meet at the CU, and then the catholics are all off in their own corner. it wasnt even about catholicism, it was a simple 'do you know where this is?' question!

feel a bit sad tbh, cause i was going to start going to the meetings with a couple friends, cause they seem to be really fun evenings, but now i cant really :/ i guess when you come from 4-18 years catholic education, where all your friends and family are the same religion, you dont really encounter much like this :redface:

:h: feel a bit like a sore thumb here though, cause im not the worlds most conscientious catholic :colondollar: over the past year i have felt my faith and general interest in the subject increase, but every now and then i still need the occassional poke and prod to remind me :erm:
it's just weird :tongue: cause all of the other branches of christianity seem to meet at the CU, and then the catholics are all off in their own corner. it wasnt even about catholicism, it was a simple 'do you know where this is?' question!

feel a bit sad tbh, cause i was going to start going to the meetings with a couple friends, cause they seem to be really fun evenings, but now i cant really :/ i guess when you come from 4-18 years catholic education, where all your friends and family are the same religion, you dont really encounter much like this :redface:

I don't think they can actively turn you away. You might just find yourself getting stared at a bit and being the "outsider". That said, I could be completely wrong. I actively avoided my uni's CU, so don't have much experience of them, other than the initial obvious prejudice towards me. (Well either that or they thought I could out-Bible quote them, having gone to a convent school :colone: )

I think a lot of us have that problem of coming from a very Catholic-oriented education and then finding ourselves as somewhat outcast among our fellow Christians :console:

:h: feel a bit like a sore thumb here though, cause im not the worlds most conscientious catholic :colondollar: over the past year i have felt my faith and general interest in the subject increase, but every now and then i still need the occassional poke and prod to remind me :erm:

Oh hun, believe me, you are more than welcome here! FYI:

- I rarely go to church
- As such, I still say the old responses during Mass :facepalm:
- I'm terribly irreverant and am always poking fun at the Church

So you can see I'm not a particularly conscientious Catholic either! :five: :nah: :jebus: (Oh yeah, that's the other thing. I like the :jebus: smiley FAR too much :lol: ) Everyone needs prodding from time to time and this little community is all about helping each other on our spiritual paths :yes:

:hugs:
I don't think they can actively turn you away. You might just find yourself getting stared at a bit and being the "outsider". That said, I could be completely wrong. I actively avoided my uni's CU, so don't have much experience of them, other than the initial obvious prejudice towards me. (Well either that or they thought I could out-Bible quote them, having gone to a convent school :colone: )

I think a lot of us have that problem of coming from a very Catholic-oriented education and then finding ourselves as somewhat outcast among our fellow Christians :console:

i dont think they'd turn me away either, i just dont really want to go somewhere where i know about the general feelings towards catholics arent rosey :redface: wooo i went to a convent school to :lol: no nuns though, sadly!

yeah, all my school weren't just 'ohh, we're catholic' they were like, in your face, religion in every corner of your life, religious. we had to say prayers before all our lessons, and all that jazz! so it's weird coming from that environment to this one.

Oh hun, believe me, you are more than welcome here! FYI:

- I rarely go to church
- As such, I still say the old responses during Mass :facepalm:
- I'm terribly irreverant and am always poking fun at the Church

So you can see I'm not a particularly conscientious Catholic either! :five: :nah: :jebus: (Oh yeah, that's the other thing. I like the :jebus: smiley FAR too much :lol: ) Everyone needs prodding from time to time and this little community is all about helping each other on our spiritual paths :yes:

:hugs:

i was quite good at going to church when i was at home, cause i had one that fitted perfectly into my routine, and stuff, but here, well, i have yet to find where it is :colondollar: doesnt your church give out those little cards with the new responses on? i kept forgetting to read them, and as such, was the victim of accusatory looks from my little brother every time i got it wrong :lol:
i dont think they'd turn me away either, i just dont really want to go somewhere where i know about the general feelings towards catholics arent rosey :redface: wooo i went to a convent school to :lol: no nuns though, sadly!

yeah, all my school weren't just 'ohh, we're catholic' they were like, in your face, religion in every corner of your life, religious. we had to say prayers before all our lessons, and all that jazz! so it's weird coming from that environment to this one.

Woo for convent education :five: :ahee: :jebus: My school has just become an academy and I think it might have lost its convent status :sad: Change is in the air! :eek: We didn't have that many nuns, though we did have an actual small convent and a nuns' graveyard on site! :eek3:

i was quite good at going to church when i was at home, cause i had one that fitted perfectly into my routine, and stuff, but here, well, i have yet to find where it is :colondollar: doesnt your church give out those little cards with the new responses on? i kept forgetting to read them, and as such, was the victim of accusatory looks from my little brother every time i got it wrong :lol:

Have you tried checking the Internet? I know that sounds like a really basic suggestion but that's how I found the Catholic church in Oxford. Literally just typed "catholic church Oxford" into Google and hey presto! it told me where it was :gah: I went once, got scared and never went back though :lol:

There are cards but you see I always forget that the responses are new now. So I always forget to take a card and don't realise anything is missing until I say "and also with you" :facepalm:
Reply 4545
Dare I type the word nunja into Google? :ninja:

Also, :hi: :jumphug: :hi:

Are you going to any of the Diocese of Westminster Year of Faith events, by any chance? :ninja:

I need to actually find out what's going on and when, but quite possibly.
Original post by Aula
I need to actually find out what's going on and when, but quite possibly.

http://www.rcdow.org.uk/youth/news/?item=3902

:ninja:
Reply 4547

Perfect! Thank you.

I guess it'll depend on what I'm doing, but I'll definitely go to the first couple! Especially since spec are involved.

Also, I got through to the assessment centre stage of a museum traineeship on Norwich I applied for. I need to do a (max 5 minutes) presentation on an object that represents me. Any ideas?
Original post by Aula
Perfect! Thank you.

I guess it'll depend on what I'm doing, but I'll definitely go to the first couple! Especially since spec are involved.

Also, I got through to the assessment centre stage of a museum traineeship on Norwich I applied for. I need to do a (max 5 minutes) presentation on an object that represents me. Any ideas?

Oh wow. What a weird question to ask someone! :lolwut: I dunno. Do you have any ideas as to what object you might choose? Like for me, it would probably me my iPod, my piano or my violin? :dontknow:
Woo for convent education :five: :ahee: :jebus: My school has just become an academy and I think it might have lost its convent status :sad: Change is in the air! :eek: We didn't have that many nuns, though we did have an actual small convent and a nuns' graveyard on site! :eek3:

:five:

awww, i think mine's still going (although i have yet to go back and check!) - however they have completely changed the uniform and now it looks dreadful :redface: plus, i have heard that the new headmistress (the old one left when i did) is horrible and has imposed even more silly rules than there were last time :tongue:

we didn't have any nuns, but we did used to be quite a large convent back in the day :smile:

Have you tried checking the Internet? I know that sounds like a really basic suggestion but that's how I found the Catholic church in Oxford. Literally just typed "catholic church Oxford" into Google and hey presto! it told me where it was :gah: I went once, got scared and never went back though :lol:

There are cards but you see I always forget that the responses are new now. So I always forget to take a card and don't realise anything is missing until I say "and also with you" :facepalm:

like, i know what street it's on, but i have no idea where that street is :colondollar: might have to spend some time just wandering around the area to find out where it is :lol: apparently it's really old fashioned though, and they say mass in latin every second week, which i think will be a bit of a culture shock, seeing as the church i'm coming from is actually quite modern and laid back (quite uncharacteristic of the catholic church!)

i always say 'and also with you' :sigh: i feel more sorry for the elderly people of the church though, because they must find the change harder to adapt to than the younger people :redface:
:five:

awww, i think mine's still going (although i have yet to go back and check!) - however they have completely changed the uniform and now it looks dreadful :redface: plus, i have heard that the new headmistress (the old one left when i did) is horrible and has imposed even more silly rules than there were last time :tongue:

we didn't have any nuns, but we did used to be quite a large convent back in the day :smile:

Oh no. That's such a shame that you've got a horrible headmistress now. It's amazing the impact a single person can have on a school, isn't it? :sadnod: What's the uniform like? Mine was brown. With a lime green tie :lolwut:

like, i know what street it's on, but i have no idea where that street is :colondollar: might have to spend some time just wandering around the area to find out where it is :lol: apparently it's really old fashioned though, and they say mass in latin every second week, which i think will be a bit of a culture shock, seeing as the church i'm coming from is actually quite modern and laid back (quite uncharacteristic of the catholic church!)

i always say 'and also with you' :sigh: i feel more sorry for the elderly people of the church though, because they must find the change harder to adapt to than the younger people :redface:

Do you have a Catholic Society rep at your uni who you could maybe email and ask whether you could go together with them? That might be an idea. Mass in Latin?! :eek3: Yikes. I'm not so great with stuff like that. Mass is usually in Latin at Christmas and sometimes Easter in my local parish and I don't like it. It's not fair on us post-Vatican II people who never had to learn the Latin Mass. Or at least that's the way I feel :colondollar:

Yeah, must be SOO hard for them :sadnod: I'm getting a bit better at responses, though I always forget when the priest says "peace be with you" :sigh: One time I got about 80% of the responses right! :awesome: :smartass: :woo:

:colondollar:
Reply 4551
Oh wow. What a weird question to ask someone! :lolwut: I dunno. Do you have any ideas as to what object you might choose? Like for me, it would probably me my iPod, my piano or my violin? :dontknow:

The idea is:
"This presentation will provide an opportunity for you to demonstrate an area of personal interest, as well as being an assessment of your presentation skills. This is your opportunity to give us an insight into who you are. This might relate to a hobby, an event, a person, or any other area of interest."

I'm thinking maybe my crystal paperweight with an angel in the middle. I was talking about it with my mother and I came up with lots of ideas, but I'm not sure. Was wondering whether anyone else had ideas.
Original post by Aula
The idea is:
"This presentation will provide an opportunity for you to demonstrate an area of personal interest, as well as being an assessment of your presentation skills. This is your opportunity to give us an insight into who you are. This might relate to a hobby, an event, a person, or any other area of interest."

I'm thinking maybe my crystal paperweight with an angel in the middle. I was talking about it with my mother and I came up with lots of ideas, but I'm not sure. Was wondering whether anyone else had ideas.

Ah I see :beard: Crystal paperweight with an angel sounds lovely. I always worry though whether people will think I'm a religious nut and go off me if I show people religious things. I think that's just coz my sister told me I shouldn't wear my rosary bracelet to interview though :lolwut: I get so easily paranoid about these kinda things :colondollar:

What other ideas did you have? :smile:
Reply 4553

Just going to leave these here. :nunjagirl:
Original post by Hylean

:rofl: :ahee: :awesome:

PRSOM :angry:
Reply 4555
Original post by Hylean

Incredibly awesome.

Ah I see :beard: Crystal paperweight with an angel sounds lovely. I always worry though whether people will think I'm a religious nut and go off me if I show people religious things. I think that's just coz my sister told me I shouldn't wear my rosary bracelet to interview though :lolwut: I get so easily paranoid about these kinda things :colondollar:

What other ideas did you have? :smile:

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure about it. But actually most of my ideas were more related to non-religious type things. The angel looks a bit like she's dancing, and I love dancing; angels sing and I was given it when I left choir; it's clear, but there's a lot to it etc.
Umm... I didn't really have any yet :dontknow:
Original post by Aula
Incredibly awesome.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure about it. But actually most of my ideas were more related to non-religious type things. The angel looks a bit like she's dancing, and I love dancing; angels sing and I was given it when I left choir; it's clear, but there's a lot to it etc.
Umm... I didn't really have any yet :dontknow:

Ah I see! Well in that case, you've clearly got a good reason for showing it. And tbh if these people don't wanna take you JUST because you show them an angel, then clearly you wouldn't wanna work for them anyway! :nah:

Go for it! :rave:
Reply 4557
I'm not 100% sure. I've always presumed French studies involves things like culture, arts, heritage, film, etc, whereas French is more language-focused, with a little bit of culture? :dontknow:

Oooh, shall pray for you. Good night and God bless :smile:

That's what i think too, I just want an inside story )*insert nunja face* :biggrin:) on either kind...
Reply 4558
Original post by Aula
Durham does a combined arts course where you can do French and more or less whatever you want :ninja:

Also I typed nunja instead of ninja just now. I have wonderful images in my head!

I wondered about Durham but then if I apply there StA and Manchester I won't be leaving room for more realistic options... and I hate there website.:mad:

And thankyou for looking!
Original post by rac1
That's what i think too, I just want an inside story )*insert nunja face* :biggrin:) on either kind...

Have you tried posting a thread in the languages subforum? (I'm presuming there is one :p: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending