The Student Room Group

OCR B Geography SDME January 2013

Hello all

Hope the new term is going well for you all. Looking ahead to the 21 January 2013, some of you may be sitting or re-sitting the SDME entitled:

Back Yard Syndrome - Why could the building of key settlements in rural areas be controversial?

You will only be doing this exam if you are studying OCB B Geography and your teacher has entered you for it. Normally, it would be Year 11 sitting this exam and it might be your first one, or you could be re-sitting after last June's exam (Age Old Problem - Dunbar).

Anyway, like last June, I have started to gather together resources that you can use in your preparation for the exam. The booklet won't be released until sometime in December, so check back then for further details.

This is where the resources are: http://www.geographypods.com/january-2013.html

Good luck

geographypods

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dreading this exam have not a clue what is required of me as a candidate :/ and with my ability in geography particularly when it comes to any question containing the word "sustainable" I would be lucky to get out of band 1.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by midgeymoo
Dreading this exam have not a clue what is required of me as a candidate :/ and with my ability in geography particularly when it comes to any question containing the word "sustainable" I would be lucky to get out of band 1.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This is my retake - I got a D in the last SDME.... I am awful at geog and knowing me, I will probably fail it - I only took it because my parents thought I already had two humanities, I might as well take a third. And yes, they are Asian so I am at the reincarnated version of the person I was in summer...
Reply 3
Original post by geographypods
Hello all

Hope the new term is going well for you all. Looking ahead to the 21 January 2013, some of you may be sitting or re-sitting the SDME entitled:

Back Yard Syndrome - Why could the building of key settlements in rural areas be controversial?

You will only be doing this exam if you are studying OCB B Geography and your teacher has entered you for it. Normally, it would be Year 11 sitting this exam and it might be your first one, or you could be re-sitting after last June's exam (Age Old Problem - Dunbar).

Anyway, like last June, I have started to gather together resources that you can use in your preparation for the exam. The booklet won't be released until sometime in December, so check back then for further details.

Good luck

geographypods

I am indebted to you entirely! My teacher isn't really going to be that helpful as he is focusing on the majority...
Reply 4
Don't forget to be researching on the BBC news site as well as the Guardian site. There is lots of information out there at the moment. Will post some links later next week.
Reply 5
Will be adding some key terms and recent news articles to the site in the next week. The resource booklet will soon be published so will give you all the link when it appears on the OCR site and can be shared.
Reply 6
Resource booklet for the January 2013 exam was released on Monday. I have linked it to the revision pages for this specific exam here:

http://www.geographypods.com/january-2013.html

Scroll down towards the bottom and you have three links. First is to the booklet (large file) second to the map insert and third is the teacher notes sheet.

Hope that helps.

Regards

geographypods
Reply 7
..and some new stuff added today. Work booklet as well as sample questions based on the actual pre-release.

Good luck with it all .... :smile:
I took the age old saga and got a B and retaking this one in jan so hoping I can get an A. Thank you for the resources though, I do actually use them.
Reply 9
More resources added this weekend. Getting there now ....
Reply 10
Hi guys, i will currently taking this retake as i got a C last time :/ sooo.. yeah :P but, i have my geography mock exam tomorrow and i am absolutely dreading it :'( i just dont understand anything on the resource booklet ! and i have been on geography pods but, there aren't any answers to questions on there :/
Original post by geographypods
Hello all

Good luck

geographypods

yeah can you please tell me as soon as possible when the resource booklet comes out and questions please i need help with it thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Resource booklet is out and available on the geographpods site using the link above. There are also example questions on the site. Good luck with your revision and enjoy your two week break.
Reply 13
Hi erm the podcast on the website is actually really useful but i found a mistake
for resource one you mention that in 2050 the rural percentage is projected to be 32% but you then say the urban percentage is projected to be 78% instead of 68%

Minor error but somebody could get confused

If anyone has seen the podcast or does see it please be aware of this tiny mistake but apart from that the podcast is very useful.
Hi. I know that the podcast has been re-done but unfortunately I don't have any say over the content as it is not me on the video. The teacher has agreed that it can be hosted on the geographypods site but I'll contact him to point that out. Thanks for the heads up.

geographypods
Reply 15
I did the SDME last year on rivers in Jan and redone it in June. I'm not 100% sure because I have heard the specs changed but just always refer to the command word in the question and refer to environmental/social/economic sustainability :smile: Good Luck
Reply 16
Original post by PatAa
Hi erm the podcast on the website is actually really useful but i found a mistake
for resource one you mention that in 2050 the rural percentage is projected to be 32% but you then say the urban percentage is projected to be 78% instead of 68%

Minor error but somebody could get confused

If anyone has seen the podcast or does see it please be aware of this tiny mistake but apart from that the podcast is very useful.

Watched this today really got me due to a slow visual processing speed… lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by glitterz
I did the SDME last year on rivers in Jan and redone it in June. I'm not 100% sure because I have heard the specs changed but just always refer to the command word in the question and refer to environmental/social/economic sustainability :smile: Good Luck

The spec has not changed but instead of the key theme been tested on the SDME has changed from rivers and coasts, it is now Settlement for those completing the corse in the Summer of 2013. Meaning Rivers and Coasts is on the final exam. It has changed like this for the complete duration of this spec 2009-2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Four new mock exams included on the site .... 2 x higher & 2 x foundation papers. Excellent resources to help you prepare and created by OCR B Geography teachers. Hope the revision is going well. http://www.geographypods.com/january-2013.html
New resource - Mock Exam Paper - posted today by Mr Rayner

http://maxrayner.posterous.com/attention-all-teachers-of-ocr-b-geography

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending