The Student Room Group

Revision Help

Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 and just started AS Biology, I feel as though I am findin it a bit hard because of the huge level content needed to remember. How would you suggest that I start learning it? I do not know very much now.

Thanks
It depends on your style, I personally find it very beneficial to me to learn through a teacher writing stuff on the board and me copying things out. I find when I handwrite it goes in better because I have to think about what I'm writing.

The PC is very user friendly and corrects most of your mistakes (remember in Biology they mark you down on some spellings). So I never use it for work.
Reply 2
Original post by Sameer599
Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 and just started AS Biology, I feel as though I am findin it a bit hard because of the huge level content needed to remember. How would you suggest that I start learning it? I do not know very much now.

Thanks

What really helped me last year was mind maps, it helped stick things in my long term memory (never cram the week before your exam, there's way too much information to learn for this to work) and it also helps to link everything together.

Oh and do LOADS of past papers, the more you practise the more familiar you'll be with how to apply your knowledge. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Sameer599
Hi,

Thanks

Everybody has a different learning style, and over this next year, im sure you will find the style that works for you. However, I will tell you what I did for biology and it worked for me.

Start off by highlighting your textbook. Key words, paragraphs, anything that you feel is important, during lessons if you teacher says anything you also think is worth remembering and is not in the textbook, just write it down next to the section yu are studying in the text book. This makes it easier for yourself when you start making notes.

Once you have read over and highlighted, you will generally have a vague insight into what the topic is about, so you can start you first set of notes. I type my 'neat notes' first and then go on to make more concise handwritten ones. I highlight my neat notes again, and then copy the highlighted stuff down onto paper hand written. Keep repeating this process until you have only a few words, or few topics that you are still unable to grasp. You can then use flash cards to write down the things you are unfamiliar with.

After this, you should have knowlege of the book and the course. Then i would advise you to go onto doing past papers. Using the mark scheme religiously. By doing past papers and reading over mark schemes you are able to understand EXACTLY what the examiner wants in your answer and how it is worded etc.

You dont need to REMEMBER everything in biology. A general understanding and knoledge is enough. However it is CRUCIAL that you know how to apply this knowledge to exam questions and know what is being asked of you in the exam.

Sorry for the essay, but i hope this has helped! :smile:
Reply 4
What the person above said!
Although, I skip out the middle part. To put it briefly:
1. Highlight text book, add notes if they help understanding.
2. Do summary questions in book or work set by teacher throughout year.
3. Make big colourful diagrams of any processes or diagrams you need to memorise in the syllabus eg structure of a bacterium. Then stick them on the wall.
4. Lots of past papers as you get near to the exam.
5. Revision cards of any parts of the syllabus you repeatedly get wrong or just need to rote learn and test yourself.
So slightly different from the person above, but I find copying out the textbook a waste of time and really boring. Worked for me, I got an A. Hope this helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by Pafeetus
What the person above said!
Although, I skip out the middle part. To put it briefly:
1. Highlight text book, add notes if they help understanding.
2. Do summary questions in book or work set by teacher throughout year.
3. Make big colourful diagrams of any processes or diagrams you need to memorise in the syllabus eg structure of a bacterium. Then stick them on the wall.
4. Lots of past papers as you get near to the exam.
5. Revision cards of any parts of the syllabus you repeatedly get wrong or just need to rote learn and test yourself.
So slightly different from the person above, but I find copying out the textbook a waste of time and really boring. Worked for me, I got an A. Hope this helps!

i agree, copying out the text book is so so tedious, but it just works for me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by rm.xo
i agree, copying out the text book is so so tedious, but it just works for me :smile:

Fair enough, I'm just too lazy :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending