The Student Room Group

Job for Mathematician in the Countryside

I'm yet another of those maths/stats graduates who loves what they do, and doesn't want to go down the finance/actuarial/investment banking route.

So, other than teaching, are there any jobs for mathematicians/statisticians in the countryside?
I've certainly not heard of any, but I can't bear the idea of spending all day in a city, and possibly another 2 hours of the day commuting.
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
I'm yet another of those maths/stats graduates who loves what they do, and doesn't want to go down the finance/actuarial/investment banking route.

So, other than teaching, are there any jobs for mathematicians/statisticians in the countryside?
I've certainly not heard of any, but I can't bear the idea of spending all day in a city, and possibly another 2 hours of the day commuting.

Lots of possibilities. If you like data analysis, you could apply for a job with your local council. There's also doing a masters in engineering or physics. PhD, too.

If you want nothing remotely mathematical at all, then you're better off just applying for anything and seeing if you like it.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Lots of possibilities. If you like data analysis, you could apply for a job with your local council. There's also doing a masters in engineering or physics. PhD, too.

If you want nothing remotely mathematical at all, then you're better off just applying for anything and seeing if you like it.

Thanks for the first idea :smile:

I have thought about a PhD, but the question is ... what then?
A life in academia is an interesting one, but you really have to be 'in it for the long haul' and it's certainly not an easy route to pursue in life!
Reply 3
Counting sheep.
Original post by Negaduck
Counting sheep.

i was going to say that :mad:
Original post by placenta medicae talpae

You need to think about things differently. There's nothing that fixes mathematical jobs in urban areas. Plenty of jobs that require maths, statistics and good numerical skills are carried out in business in market town and even rural locations. Even then, it's perfectly possible to live in a house in the middle of nowhere and still work in a city like Bristol without enduring any mind-numbing commute. So you still need to find a job you fancy doing, just look for people that are doing it in whatever area of the country you want to be in. IB is about the only job I can think of that is pretty much fixed in the city. Even then some have remote Operations teams.
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to think about things differently.

Lol!

Thanks for your input anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending