The Student Room Group

Primary teaching with a Sociology degree?

Hi :smile:

Basically I am in my second year studying for my Sociology degree (if anyone is going to critisise, i've heard it all so shh :tongue: , I am doing it because it interests me)

Anyway I have been researching a lot of options for careers recently.

I have now realised that primary teaching is ultimately what I would like to do. I do a lot of youth work and volunteer in the brownies, and its made me realise that I really want to teach!

But can I with a Sociology degree? Or does is strictly have to be a national curriculum subject? I have read somewhere that ocassionally, but have I got a chance of getting on to a PGCE with such high competition?

Other options I have considered are Youth work, Careers consultancy, social work (and possibly Social Research, which I think I would be good at, but dont feel particularly passionate about it)

Anyway if anybody has been in this situation, would be muchos appreciated :smile:

Thankyou :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by xxstace123xx
Hi :smile:

Basically I am in my second year studying for my Sociology degree (if anyone is going to critisise, i've heard it all so shh :tongue: , I am doing it because it interests me)

Anyway I have been researching a lot of options for careers recently.

I have now realised that primary teaching is ultimately what I would like to do. I do a lot of youth work and volunteer in the brownies, and its made me realise that I really want to teach!

But can I with a Sociology degree? Or does is strictly have to be a national curriculum subject? I have read somewhere that ocassionally, but have I got a chance of getting on to a PGCE with such high competition?

Other options I have considered are Youth work, Careers consultancy, social work (and possibly Social Research, which I think I would be good at, but dont feel particularly passionate about it)

Anyway if anybody has been in this situation, would be muchos appreciated :smile:

Thankyou :biggrin:

you could definatly get onto a early years (3-7) pgce with a sociology degree as i have seen alot of early years ones asking for pyschology, sociology and early childhood degrees rather than natioanl curriculum subjects but i dont know if you'd get onto a primary (5-11) pgce.

which did you want to do 3-7 or 5-11?
Reply 2
Original post by xxlissaxx
you could definatly get onto a early years (3-7) pgce with a sociology degree as i have seen alot of early years ones asking for pyschology, sociology and early childhood degrees rather than natioanl curriculum subjects but i dont know if you'd get onto a primary (5-11) pgce.

which did you want to do 3-7 or 5-11?

I would be happy doing both, I have more experience working with 8-14 year olds (I know 14 isn't in primary haha).
Hmm well I have A-levels in Psychology, Sociology and English too, so that could help!
You could definitely get onto a Primary PGCE with a Sociology Degree
Hey interesting subject your studying I work in a primary school and can tell you for sure you can definitely get on a PGCE :smile: but to be 100% certain phone and ask local schools? Or phone and ask your local PGCE provider
Good luck with the rest of your studies

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by ExploringSCIENCE
Hey interesting subject your studying I work in a primary school and can tell you for sure you can definitely get on a PGCE :smile: but to be 100% certain phone and ask local schools? Or phone and ask your local PGCE provider
Good luck with the rest of your studies

Thanks for your advice. I am currently studying Sociology of Education as a module, which I hope will be something to put in my application, I also do sign language, don't know if that will help though haha!

Just going to try and get as much experience as possible.
I did sociology AS and found it really interesting..:p: would have considered that if I didn't want to do English Lit... aanyway I have heard of other people who have got onto Primary PGCEs with a sociology degree so you should have no problem. Just double check with the uni they do not ask for a N.C. subject. You have good relevant experience with children so should have a good a chance as anyone.
Reply 7
Original post by polka_dott
I did sociology AS and found it really interesting..:p: would have considered that if I didn't want to do English Lit... aanyway I have heard of other people who have got onto Primary PGCEs with a sociology degree so you should have no problem. Just double check with the uni they do not ask for a N.C. subject. You have good relevant experience with children so should have a good a chance as anyone.

It is really interesting! First year wasn't too great as it was just the same as a2 but loving it now! By looking at educational differences and learning techniques it has inspired me to teach!

And to think I took Sociology at A level by accident :colondollar:

Yeah, I shall have a look at courses in depth and visit some open days!
Really enjoying my experience for youth work, its good to see kids doing something productive in their spare time!
Original post by xxstace123xx
Thanks for your advice. I am currently studying Sociology of Education as a module, which I hope will be something to put in my application, I also do sign language, don't know if that will help though haha!

Just going to try and get as much experience as possible.

Yes they might help look into SEN there's short courses like autism prada willi syndrome, sign language is a bonus I wish I could master it, get a paediatric first aid certificate and if you can do some voluntary work in a primary school very beneficial, before you get accepted for your PGCE some institutions ask for you to do a weeks work experience in a school again clarify everything which I'm sure you will

(edited 11 years ago)
You can get on them with any degree, it doesn't require specific degree types for Primary Teaching. As long as you achieve a good grade and get some good working experience.
I've got an anthropology (so fairly similar) degree, then did a primary PGCE (5-11) and I'm now a teacher... so yes, your degree will be fine. Some universities prefer applicants with specific national curriculum degrees but that's just essentially a way to cut down numbers - I really don't think it makes you a better teacher because you've got a degree in X and my degree is essentially English, languages and geography anyway.

Just ensure that where ever you apply doesn't stipulate that they prefer/want applicants with a degree in a national curriculum subject. When I did my PGCE I knew people with degrees from pretty much every subject area. They were all good teachers as providers are interested in your experience and ability to be a good teacher rather than the undergrad degree you chose.
Hey there,

I definitely agree with the PGCE posts, but I thought I'd add to that: volunteer work too. I know it seems like a pain but it's soo worth it! :wink: Trust me (qualified and working librarian), if you get good work experience with a couple of great referees to go with it, it gives you an edge.

All the best xo
This is what I want to do. I want to do a degree in Sociology then a PGCE after. I have everyone telling me not to do Sociology as the career prospects aren't great. I suppose its my life. I was maybe thinking of applying for a joint honours degree in say Sociology/Childhood Studies. Does anyone know if I would still be able to do a PGCE after this?
Reply 13
Original post by MaplePancakes
This is what I want to do. I want to do a degree in Sociology then a PGCE after. I have everyone telling me not to do Sociology as the career prospects aren't great. I suppose its my life. I was maybe thinking of applying for a joint honours degree in say Sociology/Childhood Studies. Does anyone know if I would still be able to do a PGCE after this?

Childhood studies is pretty much all sociology with a bit of psychology. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering what a Sociology degree is like? Hoping to study it along with Education :smile:
Reply 15
I think that sociology would be a perfect complimentary subject to primary school teaching

Yes, you may need to take an additional skills test to prove your capabilities in maths and english but a detailed knowledge of society with pay massive dividends to your future career.

Primary teaching is all about working in a community setting helping people, having a deep knowledge of sociology will only serve to give you a huge advantage especially if you work in or near an area of deprivation.

good luck
Original post by Himynameskiefer
You can get on them with any degree, it doesn't require specific degree types for Primary Teaching. As long as you achieve a good grade and get some good working experience.

Could I do this if I had a social work degree??
Original post by stephbueki7
Could I do this if I had a social work degree??

I don't see why not? As long as you have the relative working experiences, and also GCSE Mathematics, Science and English. I think there are tests you must complete too.
Reply 18
Hello, I'm in the same boat.... I took philosophy and sociology

Which is essentially religious education but complicated! Interesting though

Surely schools teach citizenship and religious education? As that is what my degree focuses in :smile: just a little worried as I am about to apply for primary education
Original post by sophieb104
Hello, I'm in the same boat.... I took philosophy and sociology

Which is essentially religious education but complicated! Interesting though

Surely schools teach citizenship and religious education? As that is what my degree focuses in :smile: just a little worried as I am about to apply for primary education

It will be fine to get onto a Teacher Training Programme (Primary) with any degree; some Universities don't require specific degree's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending