The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know where the 'home setting' is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Ahh I really regret getting the HTC Desire C now, I could have gotten the Sony Xperia U. Generally everything seems better on that phone, and it's got the front camera feature which the Desire C doesn't have :/.

Look on the bright side - the Xperia U is fugly.
Original post by Bobifier
Look on the bright side - the Xperia U is fugly.

Really? imo it's not that bad.
Original post by Kruz
Really? imo it's not that bad.

It's all squary and has that plastic thing on the bottom that comes off and that queer little light thing going on. Personally I find the effect is to make it look more like a toy than a phone.
So the Asus Pad phone is coming soon. Looks good but I still think tablets are pointless-- a large screen smartphone hits all the bases. My HP Touchpad is gathering dust. My bro recently got the new Samsung Note 10.1. Pretty cool thing but still pointless.
So is the over priced iPad 3.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8265
Original post by silent ninja
So the Asus Pad phone is coming soon. Looks good but I still think tablets are pointless-- a large screen smartphone hits all the bases. My HP Touchpad is gathering dust. My bro recently got the new Samsung Note 10.1. Pretty cool thing but still pointless.
So is the over priced iPad 3.

My parents have just bought themselves the Nexus 7 so they can skype me/google stuff etc, my dad can't use a smartphone as he can't see the buttons (he's near enough blind in one eye). He can make out the keyboard on a tablet, so it's useful for him at least :P
Hi guys, I'm in the middle of putting a custom kernel on my Nexus 7 for the first time and I've hit a slight speed bump. The guide I'm using is asking me to copy the kernel into the /sdcard/ of the nexus, and the kernel I'm using has an entire folder called kernel. Is it a case of copying that whole folder or a specific file over? Any help would be appreciated!
Every time I've installed a new Kernel, I simply copy the NewKernel.ZIP to the root of /SDCARD then flash it in a custom recovery (CWM/4EXT etc). I don't see any reason why it'd be any different for the N7 tbh...
Original post by G8D
Well what files are in the folder?

I'd do both. Whatever process you're using will know where to look.

Three Unix Executables, one document, one plain text doc and a NDIF disk image.

It would also help if I could find the /sdcard/ location through my Mac :holmes: any idea?

Original post by mikeyd85
Every time I've installed a new Kernel, I simply copy the NewKernel.ZIP to the root of /SDCARD then flash it in a custom recovery (CWM/4EXT etc). I don't see any reason why it'd be any different for the N7 tbh...

Oh, you send the entire .zip over?
Yeah - I'm assuming you've got a custom recovery loaded already though... Is that the case? If not, I'd look at going down that route - it makes life a **** load easier...

Try looking in /MNT if your phone only shows "it's" drive in OSX.
Yeah - I'm assuming you've got a custom recovery loaded already though... Is that the case? If not, I'd look at going down that route - it makes life a **** load easier...

Try looking in /MNT if your phone only shows "it's" drive in OSX.

Not sure to be honest, this pretty much sums me up! I haven't felt this technologically inept in a while haha. I'm following this guide, and the issue is that the tablet isn't showing up in Finder at all, pre or post-unlock.
Original post by G8D
As far as I know it's just the root folder of the SD card (ie, all you can see when you connect your device or plug in the SD card).

Something's just dawned on me, will the sdcard contain all of the other folders on the Nexus, in this case Alarms, Android, DCIM and so on?
Hmmm....

Well, that guide looks like it installs the custom recovery, assuming you checked that option!

If you already have the NewKernel.ZIP file in the root of /SDCARD, power off your N7, connect it to PC via USB and turn it on using Power + Vol Up. You then should be presented with the bootloader. This will have an option of recovery mode, select that using the Vol keys to scroll and power (I guess) to select. This will take you in to the custom recovery. From there, you should be able to install/apply a .ZIP file. You may need to wipe cache / dalvik cache before flashing your new kernel.
Some, but not all. Typically, flashing a new Kernel wouldn't wipe the SDCard though.

Edit: WRT not being able to see the SDCard in OSX, why not just DL the new kernel via the N7 directly?
Some, but not all. Typically, flashing a new Kernel wouldn't wipe the SDCard though.

Edit: WRT not being able to see the SDCard in OSX, why not just DL the new kernel via the N7 directly?

Haha I've just done that =P is that it in the correct location now?
It might be in /SDCARD/Download but most modern (if not all) recoveries allow you to select the update.ZIP from any location anyway. :smile:
It might be in /SDCARD/Download but most modern (if not all) recoveries allow you to select the update.ZIP from any location anyway. :smile:

Cheers. I've gone into recovery mode and now it's now hanging on the startup screen. Is this normal?
Did you make any changes in recovery? Did you make a backup of your system first?

Edit: Hanging isn't normal per se... but it is half the fun! :lol:
Did you make any changes in recovery? Did you make a backup of your system first?

Edit: Hanging isn't normal per se... but it is half the fun! :lol:

Yeah I've got all the things I want backed up.

No changes, it went straight from choosing recovery mode to this! Guessing that's not normal :ahee:
Hmmm.... 3 fingered salute methinks. Hold power, vol up and vol down to force reboot.

Upon reboot, first thing I'd do is try find a simple guide to rooting your device, then installing a custom recovery. Once you've done this, your custom kernel should be much easier to install. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending