The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Eek, three sleeps! He's been away for a little over a month now and I've been lucky enough to see him twice already! I have to admit, I am very bad with the whole "living in the future thing"- I actually have a count down in my diary until I see him next (very sad, very teenage girl, but also VERY reassuring!) But at the same time, I've thrown myself into so many extra-curricular activities this academic year, I've been working hard because a) I have more time to do 'me' things, such as going out with my girlfriends without him allowed and b) I need to take my mind off him. I feel like we can make it through, I'm just worrying already about how it'll be when I start university next September/October. I've applied to uni already and I've done a good job at not letting his location sway my choices. I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of advice to offer with regards to starting university a year after your partner? How was it? :smile:

I think I need a better visual system... I did have it written on my white board but my white board is irritating me because I have no real place for it. Sigh.
facebook chat and skype are all very good but nothing beats a handwritten letter. Spent the day with a big smile on my face.
I think the night times are the worst :sad: I don't think I'll ever get used to this either. It's now about a year and a half since we started our (on and off) LDR and it still sucks as much as it did the first day.
Original post by BabyfacedDom
facebook chat and skype are all very good but nothing beats a handwritten letter. Spent the day with a big smile on my face.

That's so lovely! :redface:
Reply 8924
Get to see her tomorrow, after days spent buried in coursework so that I can actually take this weekend away from Uni. And she's also told me she's planned to come and stay in 2 weekends. Needless to say happy Seb right now :biggrin:
Reply 8925
My long distance relationship didn't really survive. It lasted 3 years with fights and jealousy. I still love him tho :frown: he said he doesn't want to wait for me cos it obviously didn't work for us. never mind.. I know I am better without him, nobody to make me cry all of a sudden cos he thinks I have cheated on him.
Good luck with it guys. Hope you can all make it work :smile: Because love is the most important thing on Earth :smile: at least for me :biggrin:
Original post by BabyfacedDom

I so agree. We write letters about once a week to each other, gives me a surprise to look forward to as I never know exactly when it will arrive (we don't tell each other when we've replied). Plus, it smells of him :colondollar:
Supposed to go see him this weekend, booked my train tickets on monday. Work have now given me four days notice of a meeting I apparently HAVE to go to and I have no idea if they're going to let me off.

Going to have to give up my job to see him but without my job I can't afford train fare.
No idea what to do.
Supposed to go see him this weekend, booked my train tickets on monday. Work have now given me four days notice of a meeting I apparently HAVE to go to and I have no idea if they're going to let me off.

Going to have to give up my job to see him but without my job I can't afford train fare.
No idea what to do.

Didn't mean to leave anon on
[QUOTE="Sufi-Kitty;39918062"]

I think what's apparent in my relationship is that we're best friends, not just boyfriend and girlfriend. Because there's no consistent seeing each other or having sex regularly or even cuddling all the time, we've had to understand each other and what we really are like and learn to love that rather than someone who's there just for sex QUOTE]

:lovie: So true!

We've found that in my relationship too :smile:
does anyone have experience of a LDR with a really clingy BF/GF? My long term boyfriend cannot accept that I am going to uni next year. He is used to seeing me almost every day and we even work together. He got upset when I went to Reading festival and that was only a few days. I've tried reassuring him he can visit me and me visit home, I'm only and hour and a half's drive away, so a train is even quicker. I've seen relationships last with my friends from here in suffolk and york, which is a lot further away than UEA.

I understand it will be hard for him to go from seeing me whenever he wants to only once a week. He says if I go there is nothing left back home for him. Although he has a job he enjoys and a few close friends. Maybe he should take up a college course or something? Thing is he is a little older than me and he has done the uni thing already, and doesn't rate it. That said I think, and so does he, that he took the wrng course. he's never be able to afford the fee's to go again though. He doesn't see the long term benefits of having gone to uni for him. But me I have wanted it for so long, and it's not something I am going to give up. I even took a gap year so we had a good year together before I go, and I'm also working and saving money so that I am in a comfortable financial position when I do go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kaylaleigh
does anyone have experience of a LDR with a really clingy BF/GF? My long term boyfriend cannot accept that I am going to uni next year. He is used to seeing me almost every day and we even work together. He got upset when I went to Reading festival and that was only a few days. I've tried reassuring him he can visit me and me visit home, I'm only and hour and a half's drive away, so a train is even quicker. I've seen relationships last with my friends from here in suffolk and york, which is a lot further away than UEA.

I understand it will be hard for him to go from seeing me whenever he wants to only once a week. He says if I go there is nothing left back home for him. Although he has a job he enjoys and a few close friends. Maybe he should take up a college course or something? Thing is he is a little older than me and he has done the uni thing already, and doesn't rate it. That said I think, and so does he, that he took the wrng course. he's never be able to afford the fee's to go again though. He doesn't see the long term benefits of having gone to uni for him. But me I have wanted it for so long, and it's not something I am going to give up. I even took a gap year so we had a good year together before I go, and I'm also working and saving money so that I am in a comfortable financial position when I do go.

It's great to see you are doing so much to make him happy, but it appears to be too much. If he truly loves you he will learn to adapt to the change, a change that clearly you want to do and will make you happy. If he keeps holding you back then you will resent him for that fact. Make yourself happy first and foremost and make sure you can do what you want to do. He will support you I am sure, even if it is hard to adjust to.
I like a guy from Australia I met on a student exchange.
Haven't seen him for three years now but still like him :frown:
At first, we thoughtit could work out but after 1.5 years he told me, he doesn't want to leave me hanging around waiting for him :frown:
Reply 8933
Hey everyone :smile: im new to the thread, but also new to a long distance relationship. He's a 10 hour flight away and im missing him so much. :frown:
Just counting down the days until december so I can see him again...
Reply 8934
I've had such a good week :biggrin: Got my first care package on Tuesday, and now I'm seeing him tomorrow :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: So excited!
Fell in love with a guy from Tunisia over the summer :frown: I was there doing a placement, ended up spending 3 months living with him... i could see it happening as well and at the time i was just thinking ohhhhh **** why do i have to fall in love with someone so far away hahahaha

Im going back to see him in december but its going to be hard. Because he is also Tunisian :/ Though he plans to spend his whole summer in the uk...

Any advice people? anyone in a similar situation?? :frown: wahhhhhhhh and i just got a 50 quid phone bill oops :/ (the skype is so crap no voices)
Fell in love with a tunisian over the summer :frown: Spent 3 months out there doing a placement and was practically living with him... Could see it happening as well and was just thinking ahhhh **** why do i have to fall in love with someone from tunisia :smile: haha.

Im going back in december for a couple of weeks and he is planning to spend his whole summer doing an internship in the uk... but its going to be so hard because he is tunisian and because i cant ever plan beyond a few months... :/

Anyone in a similar situation, any advice?? also got a 50 quid phone bill through wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the voices on our skype doesnt work properly :frown:
At the coach station, 10 minutes :biggrin:
think the distance is starting to get to me...starting to see all the bad things about him,
everytime he calls me he whines for hours about work, he has this constant high and mighty "they cant do this to me its not fair" attitude when actually people are just doing what has to be done, he's blown his £3000 isa account on crap in the last 6 months, how can he talk about marriage and kids but not have a single plan for the future, no savings account left or anything, he was meant to be moving into a flat with his mate but his loan was rejected cause of a £15 debt on an old card, i dont mind that but 5 months later he still hasnt paid it off because " he cant afford £15" - he can afford a maccies nearly everyday, he can drive to work every night rather than walking for 30 minutes, i've saved £950 this year and he cant spare £15 in 5 months to move out of his parents house and actually learn how to manage a home for the first time in 28 years?!?!

i cant see a future with someone like this!

im struggling most because i cant find anything i love about him but really i know i've never been able to, i've just always loved him "just because" and thats fine but at times like this i start to need reasons.... =/ not having a good timeee!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Care-Free
think the distance is starting to get to me...starting to see all the bad things about him,
everytime he calls me he whines for hours about work, he has this constant high and mighty "they cant do this to me its not fair" attitude when actually people are just doing what has to be done, he's blown his £3000 isa account on crap in the last 6 months, how can he talk about marriage and kids but not have a single plan for the future, no savings account left or anything, he was meant to be moving into a flat with his mate but his loan was rejected cause of a £15 debt on an old card, i dont mind that but 5 months later he still hasnt paid it off because " he cant afford £15" - he can afford a maccies nearly everyday, he can drive to work every night rather than walking for 30 minutes, i've saved £950 this year and he cant spare £15 in 5 months?!?!

i cant see a future with someone like this!

im struggling most because i cant find anything i love about him but really i know i've never been able to, i've just always loved him "just because" and thats fine but at times like this i start to need reasons.... =/ not having a good timeee!

When you need REASONS to love someone, that's never good.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending