The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Karma Charger
Three UK have been rolling out Jelly Bean updates today. A bit weird how it appears that unbranded devices will get it last...

Posted from TSR Mobile

For which manufacturers? I remember someone on xda said HTC were updating their branded phones first, some people got pissssed, it was quite funny actually
Original post by + polarity -
For which manufacturers? I remember someone on xda said HTC were updating their branded phones first, some people got pissssed, it was quite funny actually

S3. The Samsung Facebook page is full of unhappy people :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I might root my SGS3.
What are the benefits?
I know you can get rid of that ChatON bullsh*t as well as other unnecessary bloatware. Some ROMS seem cool (Paradroid?)

What are the risks? And is it possible for something to go wrong? And, should something go wrong, how do I recover my phone?
A step by step guide on how you guys did it, successfully, would be great!
Original post by Konflict
I might root my SGS3.
What are the benefits?
I know you can get rid of that ChatON bullsh*t as well as other unnecessary bloatware. Some ROMS seem cool (Paradroid?)

What are the risks? And is it possible for something to go wrong? And, should something go wrong, how do I recover my phone?
A step by step guide on how you guys did it, successfully, would be great!

Rooting a S3 is seriously easy. Follow these steps exactly and you'll be fine:

Follow these steps on how to install custom ROM's

A good website: www.galaxys3root.com That site has American variants of the S3, so make sure you click on all links that are for the GT-i9300 or "the international version".
(edited 11 years ago)
I can see why. By making sure all the branded people get it first it means that all the carriers will have made sure that it plays right with their networks
Original post by wizard710
I can see why. By making sure all the branded people get it first it means that all the carriers will have made sure that it plays right with their networks

I agree. Still frustrating for me though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wizard710

This happens every year. It's bull**** though because you can get the unbranded ROM from an EU country and it'll play fine on all the networks in the UK. It must simply be contractual obligations, or at the very least a non written agreement in which the manufacturers keep their major customers (networks) happy. This adds value, rather than directing their efforts on the minority. Just a case of resources I imagine. Y'all SIM free unbranded customers just ain't that important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Will the Galaxy S2 ever get a Jellybean update? What are people's thoughts?

I'd love to have a stable CyanogenMod 10 ROM running on my S2 running Jellybean :tongue: That would be shaweeet.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

I'd love to have a stable CyanogenMod 10 ROM running on my S2 running Jellybean :tongue: That would be shaweeet.

Apparently it'll be around December time. Try the super nexus rom for it, I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait, apparently the new Nexus is going to be a quadcore?! I thought it was a dual core processor. **** me that would be amazing.
Original post by G8D
Quad core isn't anything new though. Google: Tegra 3.

True. Still would be amazing on a phone though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://hexus.net/mobile/news/android/46893-htc-announces-440ppi-superphone-take-that-retina-display/
Anyone see this yet? Seems pretty amazing hardware. Shame it doesn't seem to have 4G.
I don't think so either. How many apps are optimised for or even capable of using 2 cores, let alone 4?
Original post by G8D
I'm pretty sure very little. It won't increase until either quad cores are standard or Google requires it/enables it automatically via the SDK.

Oh thanks, that's what happens when you skim. Figured it'd be under connectivity, I guess.
Love how every tech blog is saying how this phone is the one that finally trumps the retina display PPI when the Oppo Find 5 did it first...
Someone recommend me a good smartphone for £150 for someone who's a non-techhy. I was thinking of picking up a Nokia Lumia 800 since they've dropped in price due to Windows 8. Any better cheapo Android phones about?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8316
Original post by n0c0ntr0l
Is cm10 stable without memory leaks now?

Sent from my GT-I9300

It's perfect on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, but then they are nexus devices.
I'm other news, I cannot wait for the Android event at the end of October! LG Nexus looks really nice, will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Always seems to be more and more interesting news about android devices. Now there seems to be rumours going around about nexus tabs and an LG Nexus phone. Glad I heard about this because if the rumours are true I'll get a nexus tab as soon as it comes out, it'd be a shame to get a device only for a newer version to come out a couple of months later.
Original post by G8D
Wouldn't you class the Nexus 7 as a tablet?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. http://hexus.net/mobile/news/android/46973-google-announce-1600p-tablet-lg-smartphone-29th/
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

November - source

What are everyones hopes and ideas for what we'll see on the 29th? I've been holding out for a 3G nexus 7, so I'm hoping we'll see that announced. The 32GB version for £200 is the worst kept secret ever, with someone in japan recording one by mistake and stapes stores in the US having them in stock and it seems just as obvious the 8GB is being discontinued. An LG nexus 4 and a samsung Nexus 10 early in 2013 seem likely as well. Joining that hardware could be a JB update as well, I'm more sceptical about the idea of an announcement on KLP, I think 4.2 will just be an improvement on JB tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending