The Student Room Group

Can I do a Medicine Degree without A Level Chemistry?

I have A Levels in Biology (A*), History (A) and English Literature (B) as well as AS Levels in Maths (C), Psychology (B) and Chemistry (A). Although, these grades do include retakes. I want to do a Medicine Degree at Edinburgh, Dundee, St Andrews, Aberdeen or Glasgow. Is there any way that I can do that without having an A Level in Chemistry? Are there any Foundation Year courses that I can do? I've been looking around for ages but just keep finding contrasting information :frown: I'd really appreciate it if someone could help. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
For standard medical degrees:

Edinburgh:

GCE A Levels: AAA in Upper Sixth including Chemistry plus Grade B at AS level in a fourth subject. A-Levels must include Chemistry and one of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. Biology at AS Level required as minimum. For both AS and A Level, only one of Mathematics or Further Mathematics will be considered. Human Biology may replace Biology but General Studies will not be considered. GCSEs: Grade B in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics. Double Award Combined Sciences or equivalent at Grade BB may replace GCSE grades in sciences. Additional Applied Sciences or Applied Science will not be accepted. All examination grades must be obtained at the first attempt of each subject. Those applying with re-sit qualifications (other than GCE AS Levels) will not be entered into the selection system unless under very exceptional circumstances (for which verified evidence has been provided prior to UCAS application).

Dundee:
AAA grades at A level (A2), to include Chemistry and another Science. The third subject can be your own choice; we have no preference.
These results should be obtained at one sitting and at the first attempt at A level examinations, two years after GCSE. (Approx. 8% of candidates sitting 3 A Levels attain these grades).
Achievement at GCSE and AS level will also be taken into account.
Biology is required, at least to GCSE level. General Studies at A level is not accepted.

St Andrews
GCE A-Levels: AAA
Subjects: Chemistry + one of Biology or Maths or Physics

Aberdeen
AAA, Chemistry required + 1 from Biology/Human Biology, Maths & Physics

Glasgow
AAA in three A2 examinations at one sitting to include Chemistry and one from Mathematics, Physics or Biology. General studies is NOT acceptable as a third subject at A2. A GCSE pass in English at a minimum of Grade B is also required. If Biology is not studied at A2 level, it should be taken at AS level. Grade A is required. Biology and Human Biology are considered as equal subjects. We do not consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics as two separate subjects at A-level.

It seems that you need Chemistry for all your options. To check foundation years, email the universities or check their websites for foundation year requirements (if they have one). :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by NiamhySmyth
I have A Levels in Biology (A*), History (A) and English Literature (B) as well as AS Levels in Maths (C), Psychology (B) and Chemistry (A). Although, these grades do include retakes. I want to do a Medicine Degree at Edinburgh, Dundee, St Andrews, Aberdeen or Glasgow. Is there any way that I can do that without having an A Level in Chemistry? Are there any Foundation Year courses that I can do? I've been looking around for ages but just keep finding contrasting information :frown: I'd really appreciate it if someone could help. Thank you :smile:

Yeah, there are quite a few unis which will accept AS level chemistry or which just don't require chemistry beyond GCSE level:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

What could be more of a problem is that you have A*AB at A2...most offers seem to be for a minimum of three As...
Reply 3
You certainly can provided you choose your university carefully. I didn't have Biology or Chemistry at A' level.
Original post by munkie
You certainly can provided you choose your university carefully. I didn't have Biology or Chemistry at A' level.

Which university did you study your medical degree at? I really would love to become a peadiatritian and do biology A level, but not chemistry.

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Jessbantleman
Which university did you study your medical degree at? I really would love to become a peadiatritian and do biology A level, but not chemistry.

Thank you!

I'm starting medicine at Newcastle Uni in September. My only science A Level was biology and you only need an A at GCSE chemistry if you don't have chemistry at A/As Level to apply. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonny-h-
I'm starting medicine at Newcastle Uni in September. My only science A Level was biology and you only need an A at GCSE chemistry if you don't have chemistry at A/As Level to apply. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! That helps a lot.
Original post by NiamhySmyth

Dundee do a pre-med course A106

from their website:

Premedical Year for Non-science background
Very able applicants who have a predominantly non-Science background (i.e. those who have not studied either Higher or A-Level Chemistry) will be considered for the pre-medicine year.
Passing with satisfactory grade average guarantees your entry into the medical course itself.
Reply 8
Yeah just apply for the 6 year pre med course.
Reply 9
Original post by Jessbantleman

Thank you!

Warwick, but you can find plenty of medical schools that will take you without chemistry - especially as you are doing biology. Good luck!
Original post by jonny-h-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, thanks for this information, would you mind telling me what other Universities you applied to for medicine since you only did biology Alevel ? thanks!
What university did you apply to that took you on without chemistry or biology at A-level to study medicine?
Original post by Farahhussainxo
What university did you apply to that took you on without chemistry or biology at A-level to study medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending