The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Is it easier to achive high marks in language course units than in other ones? (eg. economics)

True or false.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2421
Original post by shake_it
Is it easier to achive high marks in language course units than in other ones? (eg. economics)

True or false.

Depends how well you know the language? I got my best score from Russian one year and the worst from German the next.
Original post by lilys
Depends how well you know the language? I got my best score from Russian one year and the worst from German the next.

I am going to take French ab initio next year, I am going to self study it this year, hope it will boost my grade :smile:
Reply 2423
Original post by shake_it
I am going to take French ab initio next year, I am going to self study it this year, hope it will boost my grade :smile:

Do you know any other languages apart from English? Ie knowing German would help you in Norwegian, Spanish in Portugese etc.
Reply 2424
Anybody got their bursary today?
Original post by JoannaMilano
I can't see why language modules would be any harder or easier to get a goo mark in. If you can answer the questions, you'll get a good mark just like anything.

they make you take a test before you do language modules anyway, it's not based solely on your formal qualifications. So unless you deliberately fake knowing nothing or you're really bad at language learning, you won't get away with self studying then pretending to be ab initio. So youll be in a language class that fits your ability, and thus theres no reason to expect an easy good grade.

And if you're planning to fraudulently take the ab initio course, you'll be found out very quickly, it's pretty obvious.

Agree totally - please do not be under the illusion that languages are somehow easier. If you pretend to be ab initio you will not benefit from an additional year of going over the basics, that is if you don't get found out. You won't be doing yourself any favours. Language classes, both in the UCL departments and in the language centre, are meant to challenge and build on previous knowledge.

Incidentally, I found French okay in the first year (in the UCL department) but second year has been such a step up in intensity and the effort expected from us. If you are really interested in mastering a language you have to be able to challenge yourself and put the effort in.

Edit: sorry Joanna, this obviously wasn't aimed at you ! :P
OK guys need a little help.

I handed in my departmental form for studying abroad. We have to choose 8 modules however for some reason on my form only 4 modules out of the 8 I had put came out and I only noticed this after I had handed the form in.

Shall I just email my study abroad tutor with the amendments?

I know it seems the most logical thing to do but I'm just panicking Lol.
Original post by lilys
Do you know any other languages apart from English? Ie knowing German would help you in Norwegian, Spanish in Portugese etc.

I speak fluent English, basic German and Polish as a mother-tongue, so I am pretty good with languages to be realistic.

Thx for help :smile:
Reply 2428
I remember a guy from my Arabic ab initio class who had lived in Bahrain with his family - we had no idea why he was put into the group as his pronunciation was perfect and he didn't have any problem with the grammar.
Reply 2429
Original post by JoannaMilano
Turned up in my account on Friday although the technical date it was sent was today. My friend says hers isn't coming until Friday though.

Thanks, I contacted the bursary people at UCL and they said my payment was put through by UCL but 'pended' by Student Finance England and they have to contact them to sort it out. I didn't even realise the bursary scheme was linked to sfe! Hope I get it soon, would like to book my flight home for Christmas :s-smilie: Everyone knows how slow student finance can be though...
Reply 2430
Original post by ily_em
Thanks, I contacted the bursary people at UCL and they said my payment was put through by UCL but 'pended' by Student Finance England and they have to contact them to sort it out. I didn't even realise the bursary scheme was linked to sfe! Hope I get it soon, would like to book my flight home for Christmas :s-smilie: Everyone knows how slow student finance can be though...

I didn't receive my bursary on Monday either and got the same reply from UCL student funding including the bit about student finance England putting the payment on hold even though I'm not even with student finance England, I'm with student finance Northern Ireland. That makes me think that it's a generic response being sent out to quite a few people!
Reply 2431
Original post by LauraMcC
I didn't receive my bursary on Monday either and got the same reply from UCL student funding including the bit about student finance England putting the payment on hold even though I'm not even with student finance England, I'm with student finance Northern Ireland. That makes me think that it's a generic response being sent out to quite a few people!

Oh man that's rubbish, hope not too many people are in this situation!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2432
Just for confirmation: If you miss two classes of a subject run by SELCS (ELCS course), you don't need to bring in medical evidence, right?
Reply 2433
You're meant to if you miss 7 days. Doesn't mean it's strictly enforced.
Anyone know the process for dropping out? Or what happens with fees/accommodation costs? It's just something I'm considering atm, going to think about it more during reading week.
Reply 2435
Original post by Boom.Squish
Anyone know the process for dropping out? Or what happens with fees/accommodation costs? It's just something I'm considering atm, going to think about it more during reading week.

I've kind of done it. You just tell your undergraduate tutor and then fill in a form (just one A4 size). I think if you leave before 6 weeks in you don't need to pay fees, after that but before Christmas half, and after that full. I could be wrong though.

I've no idea about accommodation but it should be on their website somewhere.

Sad you're leaving :frown: If you want to chat about it, inbox me :smile: I have experiences with dropping out of uni.

I dropped out of my previous university (Lancaster) so I can help you out a little. Fees aren't paid until February (I assume you're with student finance, yes?), for the reason that people drop out. So you don't need to worry about that at all. At Lancaster I had to pay for the weeks I was there (for accommodation) , and I also lost my deposit. I'm not sure if that's the same at UCL though.
Original post by PJ991
I've kind of done it. You just tell your undergraduate tutor and then fill in a form (just one A4 size). I think if you leave before 6 weeks in you don't need to pay fees, after that but before Christmas half, and after that full. I could be wrong though.

I've no idea about accommodation but it should be on their website somewhere.

Ah, thanks. The end of this week is 6 weeks I think (if you count freshers'), so that sucks but it's fair enough, I guess. Do you just pay it back through student finance i.e. earning over 21k? Are you no longer a student then? Or did you change your mind?

Original post by Mother_Russia
Sad you're leaving :frown: If you want to chat about it, inbox me :smile: I have experiences with dropping out of uni.

I dropped out of my previous university (Lancaster) so I can help you out a little. Fees aren't paid until February (I assume you're with student finance, yes?), for the reason that people drop out. So you don't need to worry about that at all. At Lancaster I had to pay for the weeks I was there (for accommodation) , and I also lost my deposit. I'm not sure if that's the same at UCL though.

Thank you :smile: I'm just very confused at the moment. Why did you drop out, if you don't mind me asking? Do you think you made the right choice? I couldn't even force myself to go in today and I feel terrible for wanting to give such a good uni up but I'm not sure I can do this for another 4 years...Are you doing Russian?

Thank you :smile: I'm just very confused at the moment. Why did you drop out, if you don't mind me asking? Do you think you made the right choice? I couldn't even force myself to go in today and I feel terrible for wanting to give such a good uni up but I'm not sure I can do this for another 4 years...Are you doing Russian?

I dropped out for quite a few reasons. I went to Lancaster because I wanted to go to university that year so much, even though it wasn't my first choice at all and I knew I could do so much better. When I arrived, I realised that firstly straight economics was not really what I wanted to do. But mainly, I seriously felt I could do better than Lancaster, given my past academic achievements. What was also linked to the reason I definitely wanted to leave was that I didn't meat anyone that I really clicked with. Maybe if I had found a group of friends, it might have meant I would have stayed, but definitely for the wrong reasons. It was definitely the best choice I ever made, partly because I grew up so much during my gap year but I proved to myself that I can do so much better, and I should nevr just "settle" because it was easy at the time. And that's been translated into so many things I do now.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you want to leave UCL because of the university. During my first year, I was extremely depressed, and I actually didn't go to any lectures or tutorials for 2 weeks straight. I struggled to get out of bed, and it scared me to venture out into my hall corridors. Amongst other of course. It took me a long time to find the resources available at UCL about who could help me. There is a counselling service available, and best of all it's free. They do say they take on people first who need it the most, and I was top of the list. However, my mate at uni also used the service in her first term in first year when she was home sick. She just found it easier to talk to someone about it, because she didn't know who else to talk to about. They didn't respond to her straight away, but she emailed them again, saying she was really interested and they met up with her straight away. Maybe this is something you could look into?

Do you think it's UCL in particular you can't do for another 4 years, or your course?

I study economics and business with east European studies. It's at ssees :smile: but I am half Russian.
Original post by Mother_Russia
I dropped out for quite a few reasons. I went to Lancaster because I wanted to go to university that year so much, even though it wasn't my first choice at all and I knew I could do so much better. When I arrived, I realised that firstly straight economics was not really what I wanted to do. But mainly, I seriously felt I could do better than Lancaster, given my past academic achievements. What was also linked to the reason I definitely wanted to leave was that I didn't meat anyone that I really clicked with. Maybe if I had found a group of friends, it might have meant I would have stayed, but definitely for the wrong reasons. It was definitely the best choice I ever made, partly because I grew up so much during my gap year but I proved to myself that I can do so much better, and I should nevr just "settle" because it was easy at the time. And that's been translated into so many things I do now.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you want to leave UCL because of the university. During my first year, I was extremely depressed, and I actually didn't go to any lectures or tutorials for 2 weeks straight. I struggled to get out of bed, and it scared me to venture out into my hall corridors. Amongst other of course. It took me a long time to find the resources available at UCL about who could help me. There is a counselling service available, and best of all it's free. They do say they take on people first who need it the most, and I was top of the list. However, my mate at uni also used the service in her first term in first year when she was home sick. She just found it easier to talk to someone about it, because she didn't know who else to talk to about. They didn't respond to her straight away, but she emailed them again, saying she was really interested and they met up with her straight away. Maybe this is something you could look into?

Do you think it's UCL in particular you can't do for another 4 years, or your course?

I study economics and business with east European studies. It's at ssees :smile: but I am half Russian.

I'm at SSEES too for half of my degree (Russian) and while it's great and the course is very good, I don't think I chose the right one. I do like it but not enough to do a degree in it and there's something else I think I can put a lot more passion into (I had doubts up to a year ago but pushed them back and thought they would go away). I do like the uni but I am slightly regretting not moving out of London. I am going through a bit of what you did and have literally just been commuting this week because I'm sick of being there. I've missed out on a lot of social opportunities too because I just don't want to go out any more. What complicates things is that I've just been diagnosed with depression and I'm not sure whether it's wise to make big decisions like this now. I don't know how much is being influenced by my state of mind atm but at the same time, time is running out and I don't want to miss out on applying for 2013 entry, if I decide to drop out. I really think a gap year would do me a world of good. Should have taken one in the first place really to sort my head out :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending