The Student Room Group

The History Aptitude Test - what is a 'good' score?

I've been doing some practice papers, getting them marked etc etc, and whilst it's helpful I don't really know whether I'm getting the kind of results I should be aiming for.

I know the HAT is used (along with GCSEs) to filter out about 30% of applicants, but what do the bottom 30% of applicants get on the HAT?

I've been getting 70%-85% on most practice papers. I have no idea if that's good or bad. help?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
This is from what I've heard from previous Oxbridge History applicants and information from teachers..

The HAT Test is marked similar to that of degree classifications, with a 1st being 70%+. For that reason, few HAT applicants will be achieving such high scores.

It is also not uncommon for applicants scoring between 40-50% to be invited for interview (provided they have an excellent academic record of course).

But remember it's just one part of a large picture of what Oxford look at. A decent score of 60% in addition with a solid academic record should see you through to interview.
Reply 2
Original post by RichieG123
This is from what I've heard from previous Oxbridge History applicants and information from teachers..

The HAT Test is marked similar to that of degree classifications, with a 1st being 70%+. For that reason, few HAT applicants will be achieving such high scores.

It is also not uncommon for applicants scoring between 40-50% to be invited for interview (provided they have an excellent academic record of course).

But remember it's just one part of a large picture of what Oxford look at. A decent score of 60% in addition with a solid academic record should see you through to interview.

thanks for your help. I'm now worried that my papers are getting marked incorrectly though hah.. I know it's just a stepping stone but it gived me a bit of confidence to know I'm on the right track I guess. thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lumos
thanks for your help. I'm now worried that my papers are getting marked incorrectly though hah.. I know it's just a stepping stone but it gived me a bit of confidence to know I'm on the right track I guess. thank you :smile:

I think there's strict rules in the marking scheme for all the questions apart from the applied essay (1c). So just concentrate on your scores for the rest for now!

I have also heard that Oxford place less importance on the 1c and like to see high scores in question 2. Again, this is just what I've heard!

Richie
Original post by RichieG123

Thank you very much Richie. When my practice papers were being marked my teachers would write 'good/okay/very good' and to me it was really all the same.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending